Ohio Week 7 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

St. Edward (5-1) vs. St Ignatius (3-3) - Ed's 35 Iggy 21

Eds rolled Buchtel last week 45-21, but many of Eds starters were out of the game as soon as they went up 21-0. 

Iggy had a nice rebound victory; they beat Rockledge FL 42-7. Two of Iggy's Defenders returned for this game and it certainly helped. Hanna had a nice game distributing the ball to their WR's. Its hard to know how much this win really means; because, by all accounts, Rockledge did not look very good at all.

This game is known as The Holy War. I'm glad that it's taking place in week 7, instead of week 10. Last year, the game meant absolutely nothing, other than pride. This is a huge rivalry and these games are usually wildly unpredictable. I think Ed's has the much more complete team, so I'm going with Eds.

La Salle (6-0) @ Covcath KY (7-0) - La Salle 28 Covcath 17

La Salle handled Moe last week 41-20. The Lancers check in at 6-0 on the season. They haven't played any really good teams yet, so this will be good barometer.So far La Salle has a solid dual threat QB in Brannam. La Salle has also played great defense so far this year.

COvCath has been building their program up in recent years. They've been very solid in recent years. They've had a pretty good offense the past couple of seasons. I don't think they are as good as the past 2 years, though. 

This is a tough one to judge, because both teams have been throttling teams that aren't very good. CovCath seems to have replaced Highlands as the smaller school Northern Kentucky power. If La Salle is as good as they appear to be, they should win this game. I do think it will be a close game.

St. Xavier (5-1) vs. Clarkson North ON (3-3) - St. X 38 Clarkson 21

St. X lost a back and forth game with Elder last week 31-28. Both Defenses struggled in the game; but as predicted, Elder won the LOS and their QB Luebbe rushed for 236 yds and 3 TD's. Elder didn't even throw the ball much at all. X's offense played great behind Rueve, Clifford, and Lang. I do worry that if any of those 3 players go down, X could be in a bad spot.

Clarkson North, the Iggy-slayers, played IMG this past week and were promptly destroyed 50-0. They are an athletic bunch with a solid offense, but no defense. They stood no chance against IMG, and would probably be a middle of the road D1 team in Ohio. They took advantage of an Iggy team with many defensive injuries whom was probably overlooking Clarkson, and pulled off the big upset. 

Clarkson has been playing the GCL and Iggy/Eds for years now, and we've seen Clarkson getting better each year. We figured they would eventually pull off an upset, but they are not good enough to do it twice in the same season. 

Fairfield (6-0) @ Princeton (4-2) - Fairfield 24 Princeton 14

Fairfield had a close call last week, beating Lakota East 20-14. East played a ball control offense and were able to keep Fairfield from putting up bunches of points. Fairfield RB McClain, whom is the best Speed/shifty RB in Ohio is averaging 9 yards a carry! He has an incredible first burst of speed out of the backfield. They also have good Line play and a very capable QB and WR's. Fairfield's defense has also been very stout. Fairfield is a very balanced team. 

Princeton is absolutely loaded with athletes, and their Defensive front is huge! Princeton's Defense is legit, but their offense has been very lackluster all season. They have enough talent to be much better than they are. Their QB Horton isn't a great passing threat, and thus far their run game hasn't been very effective, though they did have success last week with a previously injured RB Boyd. Penalties, and coaching adjustments have also been an issue with Princeton.

Princeton has the athletes to slow down Jutahn Mcclain. They are very good up front defensively. This could make an interesting game for Fairfield. In the end I think Princeton will have much more trouble scoring on Fairfield's Defense than the other way around.

Springboro (6-0) vs Springfield (5-1) - Springfield 21 Springboro 17

Whitmer (6-0) @ Toledo Central Catholic (6-0) TCC 28 Whitmer 21

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

St. Edward (5-1) vs. St Ignatius (3-3) - Ed's 35 Iggy 21

Eds rolled Buchtel last week 45-21, but many of Eds starters were out of the game as soon as they went up 21-0. 

Iggy had a nice rebound victory; they beat Rockledge FL 42-7. Two of Iggy's Defenders returned for this game and it certainly helped. Hanna had a nice game distributing the ball to their WR's. Its hard to know how much this win really means; because, by all accounts, Rockledge did not look very good at all.

This game is known as The Holy War. I'm glad that it's taking place in week 7, instead of week 10. Last year, the game meant absolutely nothing, other than pride. This is a huge rivalry and these games are usually wildly unpredictable. I think Ed's has the much more complete team, so I'm going with Eds.

La Salle (6-0) @ Covcath KY (7-0) - La Salle 28 Covcath 17

La Salle handled Moe last week 41-20. The Lancers check in at 6-0 on the season. They haven't played any really good teams yet, so this will be good barometer.So far La Salle has a solid dual threat QB in Brannam. La Salle has also played great defense so far this year.

COvCath has been building their program up in recent years. They've been very solid in recent years. They've had a pretty good offense the past couple of seasons. I don't think they are as good as the past 2 years, though. 

This is a tough one to judge, because both teams have been throttling teams that aren't very good. CovCath seems to have replaced Highlands as the smaller school Northern Kentucky power. If La Salle is as good as they appear to be, they should win this game. I do think it will be a close game.

St. Xavier (5-1) vs. Clarkson North ON (3-3) - St. X 38 Clarkson 21

St. X lost a back and forth game with Elder last week 31-28. Both Defenses struggled in the game; but as predicted, Elder won the LOS and their QB Luebbe rushed for 236 yds and 3 TD's. Elder didn't even throw the ball much at all. X's offense played great behind Rueve, Clifford, and Lang. I do worry that if any of those 3 players go down, X could be in a bad spot.

Clarkson North, the Iggy-slayers, played IMG this past week and were promptly destroyed 50-0. They are an athletic bunch with a solid offense, but no defense. They stood no chance against IMG, and would probably be a middle of the road D1 team in Ohio. They took advantage of an Iggy team with many defensive injuries whom was probably overlooking Clarkson, and pulled off the big upset. 

Clarkson has been playing the GCL and Iggy/Eds for years now, and we've seen Clarkson getting better each year. We figured they would eventually pull off an upset, but they are not good enough to do it twice in the same season. 

Fairfield (6-0) @ Princeton (4-2) - Fairfield 24 Princeton 14

Fairfield had a close call last week, beating Lakota East 20-14. East played a ball control offense and were able to keep Fairfield from putting up bunches of points. Fairfield RB McClain, whom is the best Speed/shifty RB in Ohio is averaging 9 yards a carry! He has an incredible first burst of speed out of the backfield. They also have good Line play and a very capable QB and WR's. Fairfield's defense has also been very stout. Fairfield is a very balanced team. 

Princeton is absolutely loaded with athletes, and their Defensive front is huge! Princeton's Defense is legit, but their offense has been very lackluster all season. They have enough talent to be much better than they are. Their QB Horton isn't a great passing threat, and thus far their run game hasn't been very effective, though they did have success last week with a previously injured RB Boyd. Penalties, and coaching adjustments have also been an issue with Princeton.

Princeton has the athletes to slow down Jutahn Mcclain. They are very good up front defensively. This could make an interesting game for Fairfield. In the end I think Princeton will have much more trouble scoring on Fairfield's Defense than the other way around.

Springboro (6-0) vs Springfield (5-1) - Springfield 21 Springboro 17

Whitmer (6-0) @ Toledo Central Catholic (6-0) TCC 28 Whitmer 21

X offense was great in the 4th quarter.  First 3 quarters they weren't very good.  Elder was in complete control of that game but X made it really interesting late.

While St. Edward should certainly be favored coming into this game, I don't think it will be an easy feat for the Eagles to pull out. Ignatius is essentially in playoff mode right now, needing to reach 6-4 to secure a spot.  Wins against Moeller and the lesser Canadian team are near locks, but those opponents offer little to nothing in terns of harbins, so they will have to beat either Ed's or X to get in. We saw a complete effort against Rockledge last week with their backs against the wall, and I would expect to see that again. 

The importance of securing a postseason spot aside, this is a monster rivalry. And in what will be the 20th meeting since 2000, the Wildcats hold a 12-7 advantage in the regular season in this matchup. Even since 2010 where Ed's has really established themselves as the premier program in the state with 4 titles, Ignatius has won 5 of the past 9 regular season games. Aside from a few years where the talent disparity was so large in favor of Ed's, Chuck Kyle always seems to have his teams prepared for this game and they have played spoiler on a few occasions where Ed's was the clear favorite.  The on-field talent favors Ed's again this year, but it's not so large as to think Ignatius is a huge dog. 

The key for the Eagles will be pressuring Griffin Hanna. When he has time to throw and gets in a rhythm, he can be very efficient. When he's under a lot of pressure (as in the Dematha game), he gets flustered and makes bad throws. Look for Pappas to throw different blitzes at him to keep the pressure coming from all angles. But he is a threat to run, so the Eagle defense will have to keep a presence in the middle of the field to prevent him from taking off for uncontested yards. Cmiel and Cook are a very good receiving duo, so this will be a huge test for the Ed's secondary. In one-on-one situations where Hanna has time, Cmiel has show to be almost uncoverable. Also shouldn't take their running game with Welsh lightly. He's a brusier, similar to what Ed's has with Formani. If the weather is bad, we could see a huge dose of him. And if they can steadily move the chains, their kicker has 50+ range. 

As to the matchup of the Eagle offense against the Wildcat defense, I like Ed's chances there. Fomani has been unstoppable lately, and O'Malley is just a crafty runner with excellent field vision. As always, I look for Ed's to establish the run game with those two, and take their shots when Ignatius has to load up to stop the run. Dematha had success in spreading the Ignatius defense laterally, leaving the middle of the field thin, and then breaking off the big runs. I think we could see the Eagles do the same. This Iggy defense is pretty stout in their front 7, but if you can get bodies on their LB's, it's off to the races against a weak secondary. Big question will be if Wainwright makes his return this week, and if so, how effective can he be after not playing for the past 6 weeks? If he is back and ready to go along with Montorie Foster, I don't see how the Ignatius secondary will contain those two. And if those two draw extra help over the top, it leaves room for the diminutive Mike Lomardo to break loose from his slot position. Coach Lombo has held back his offense in recent years when the game was in week 10, both teams were likely in the playoffs, and a rematch could be on the horizon. This year he has a chance to potentially keep the Cats out of the playoffs. It's time to go for the jugular coach.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Friday Finals:

Mentor 45, Brunswick 0

Solon 27, Euclid 24

TCC 42, Whitmer 14

Massillon 48, Gateway (PA) 12

Springfield 23, Springboro 0

O-Lib 37, Westerville S 20

Pick C 34, Lancaster 0

St. X 44, Clarkson Football North 6

Elder 42, Moeller 6