Starting a new job as an adjunct professor of English Comp. Any advice?

Aucaman20

Hello, everyone.

I've been meaning to write this post for quite some time, but I've just been so busy with this SAT college prep class that I've been teaching this summer. For the past five years, I have been working as a high school English teacher, but I am hoping to make the full transition to college. I'm applying to PhD programs for the Fall 2020 cycle. 

Luckily, I was able to get two jobs as an adjunct at nearby community colleges. I am somewhat nervous since I have never taught a college class before. I will be teaching research and writing, not literature courses. :( But I am just grateful to get my foot in the door. 

Are there any valuable resources that I can read? Any good book recommendations or blogs I can become acquainted with? 

Thank you so much in advance! 

mumbai university idol login

• Like 2

I will say from watching professors in the past the best you can do for those kids is to make sure they know how to do a research paper from beginning to end. Especially when it comes to avoiding plagiarism because as im sure you know plagiarizing is basically a killer when it comes to education. Be stern but don't be an a hole. You are dealing with adults of all ages. 

I find it also helps to do research papers on interesting books or stories. Something that avid readers would like but also something that a student who hasn't read since they graduated high school would become interested in. I hated reading and still do unless its news articles or sports magazines. Heart of Darkness was the book that caught my attention. Both educational learning about things that took place in that time period and the story itself was entertaining.

41HonthLOYL._AC_SY780_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I listen a lot to Teaching in Higher Ed podcast. It is led by Bonni Staciowiak, who invites people in every episode. They usually talk about a specific book that the guest has released or a resource that they have developed. It's good to be exposed to a myriad of teaching strategies, planning resources, and classroom ideas. I'm sure that transitioning from HS, you will find these ideas are sometimes very specific. However, HS teachers are very creative so I don't doubt you'll be able to pick some ideas and transform them in something that works for your class.