STA 2018 overview for Columbiafan

golfaddict1

QB:  Curt Casteel (still a 3 star rated QB with fbs offers from last year but struggled mightily) will be challenged by Brother Rice, MI senior transfer Mariano Valenti (3 star with some MAC offers).  3rd string I'm guessing between Kyle Engel and JV QB Michael Neal.  A former Brother Rice transfer to Colquitt County (now at UConn I belive) did well at QB.  Hopefully STA gets the same tread wear :).  

RB:  Daniel Carter (4 star and UA all american) and Nigel White (3 star, small but quick with some fbs offers) return as seniors.  Juniors from JV Jaedon Henry and Khalid Shakir should be in the mix (0 offers).  They also have a soph transfer with one fbs offer, last name Opalsky

TE/HB:  Joseph Kirner (some fbs offers) - Jr  not rated

WR:  Marcus Rosemy having a solid tshirt and shorts season, 4 star Jr and 247 rated him very highly.  Has made some nice highlight reel catches.   Hope to see it Aug-Dec.   He's going to have a breakout year imo.   Jamal Cooney (3 star SR , slot receiver w fbs offers), The'Andris Freeman up from JV with an fbs offer should be in the mix. Mathew Akuchie (Sr, 0 offers but may change in spring) will see the rock as a senior... and a nice transfer boost with Jahvante Royal 4 star and a jr, Jovan Ferguson 3 star and a jr and Xavier Restrepo (Ath but likely slot receiver this year) with a solid tshirt and short season getting some nice offers, not rated and also a jr.  

OL:  Marcus Dumervil (4 star, but looked that way at DT in 9th grade, a bit raw at RT last year as a soph, but getting bigger and hopefully better) He's a jr. and I expect a solid year from him.  Vincent Murphy was at RT 10th grade and Center 11th grade, 3 star senior and South Carolina verbal.  Solid OL in Murphy. Marlon Martinez, a jr returning starter and not rated but with fbs offers including LSU which surprised me.  Antonio Serrano, sr with a syracuse offer last year and not rated.  Jake Pope,  a sr 3 star rated with big ten offers, not sure what his status is with regards to starting or not.  Transfers Julian Hernandez, a sr (I think he picked up a Louisville offer this winter) not rated.  and Jai'mari Herbert, a jr with some fbs offers and not rated.   A few JV to varsity juniors I'm interested to see in the spring are last names Gilliland 6'7" and Alpieri 6'11".  

DL:  Tyreak Sapp, soph with FBS offers already incl Texas,  Tyrique Owens, soph with an LSU offer and likely others, Jason Munoz (3 star sr with fbs offers), Jeremy Maybin, jr with one fbs offer, Jayden Royal and Nick Marino are both seniors who saw PT last year, 0 offers I believe.  Kevin Izquerdo, is a Jr I'm interested to see in the spring.  Transfers:  senior Braylen Ingraham (3 or 4 star) and Bobby Washington, a junior with one fbs offer, not rated I believe.   

LB:  Anthony Solomon (4 star and UA all american), Jahmar Brown (3 star w high tier fbs offers, this is his year to shine), DJ Humes, a jr with one fbs offer, Griffin Lampton a jr with a few fbs offers,  Derek Wingo a 3 star  jr and not at QB lol,  some upper tier LB fbs offers.  Transfers:  Avery Huff, 4 star rated sr and Devon Betty, 4 star junior.   Most of these kids are projected OLB's in college.  

DB:  Jaden Davis and Jordan Battle (seniors and UA all americans), Semar Melvin and Myles Bell (seniors with fbs offers and 3 star rated), Tyler Mackey is a jr that I expect to see some offers in the spring.  Jalen Moss a jr will likely be in the mix also, 0 offers.  Jason Taylor's son will be soph (Isaiah) but not sure where he stands with depth chart at this point.  Sam Madison's son Kellen will also be a soph and also no clue about him yet.   Transfers:   Marcus Lafrance, a senior 3 star rated & Rayne Tanega-Doster a sr with a few fbs offers no rating.

I'll edit as I see any changes.  

Same coaching staff at HC, DC and OC as far as I know.   It's on the OC to get the O looking less vanilla and predictable.   Casteel has a year under his belt and we'll see how Valenti looks under center.   No shortage of talent or transfers as expected.    Maybe it will be Valenti, who can also run as a dual threat.   I can't say I'm not intrigued to see how Valenti performs. 

I'm hoping they can be a top 10 preseason in FL candidate by early August.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

QB:  Curt Casteel (still a 3 star rated QB with fbs offers from last year but struggled mightily) will be challenged by Brother Rice, MI senior transfer Mariano Valenti (3 star with some MAC offers).  3rd string I'm guessing between Kyle Engel and JV QB Michael Neal.  A former Brother Rice transfer to Colquitt County (now at UConn I belive) did well at QB.  Hopefully STA gets the same tread wear :).  

RB:  Daniel Carter (4 star and UA all american) and Nigel White (3 star, small but quick with some fbs offers) return as seniors.  Juniors from JV Jaedon Henry and Khalid Shakir should be in the mix (0 offers).  They also have a soph transfer with one fbs offer, last name Opalsky

TE/HB:  Joseph Kirner (some fbs offers) - Jr  not rated

WR:  Marcus Rosemy having a solid tshirt and shorts season, 4 star Jr and 247 rated him very highly.  Has made some nice highlight reel catches.   Hope to see it Aug-Dec.   He's going to have a breakout year imo.   Jamal Cooney (3 star SR , slot receiver w fbs offers), The'Andris Freeman up from JV with an fbs offer should be in the mix. Mathew Akuchie (Sr, 0 offers but may change in spring) will see the rock as a senior... and a nice transfer boost with Jahvante Royal 4 star and a jr, Jovan Ferguson 3 star and a jr and Xavier Restrepo (Ath but likely slot receiver this year) with a solid tshirt and short season getting some nice offers, not rated and also a jr.  

OL:  Marcus Dumervil (4 star, but looked that way at DT in 9th grade, a bit raw at RT last year as a soph, but getting bigger and hopefully better) He's a jr. and I expect a solid year from him.  Vincent Murphy was at RT 10th grade and Center 11th grade, 3 star senior and South Carolina verbal.  Solid OL in Murphy. Marlon Martinez, a jr returning starter and not rated but with fbs offers including LSU which surprised me.  Antonio Serrano, sr with a syracuse offer last year and not rated.  Jake Pope,  a sr 3 star rated with big ten offers, not sure what his status is with regards to starting or not.  Transfers Julian Hernandez, a sr (I think he picked up a Louisville offer this winter) not rated.  and Jai'mari Herbert, a jr with some fbs offers and not rated.   A few JV to varsity juniors I'm interested to see in the spring are last names Gilliland 6'7" and Alpieri 6'11".  

DL:  Tyreak Sapp, soph with FBS offers already incl Texas,  Tyrique Owens, soph with an LSU offer and likely others, Jason Munoz (3 star sr with fbs offers), Jeremy Maybin, jr with one fbs offer, Jayden Royal and Nick Marino are both seniors who saw PT last year, 0 offers I believe.  Kevin Izquerdo, is a Jr I'm interested to see in the spring.  Transfers:  senior Braylen Ingraham (3 or 4 star) and Bobby Washington, a junior with one fbs offer, not rated I believe.   

LB:  Anthony Solomon (4 star and UA all american), Jahmar Brown (3 star w high tier fbs offers, this is his year to shine), DJ Humes, a jr with one fbs offer, Griffin Lampton a jr with a few fbs offers,  Derek Wingo a 3 star  jr and not at QB lol,  some upper tier LB fbs offers.  Transfers:  Avery Huff, 4 star rated sr and Devon Betty, 4 star junior.   Most of these kids are projected OLB's in college.  

DB:  Jaden Davis and Jordan Battle (seniors and UA all americans), Semar Melvin and Myles Bell (seniors with fbs offers and 3 star rated), Tyler Mackey is a jr that I expect to see some offers in the spring.  Jalen Moss a jr will likely be in the mix also, 0 offers.  Jason Taylor's son will be soph (Isaiah) but not sure where he stands with depth chart at this point.  Sam Madison's son Kellen will also be a soph and also no clue about him yet.   Transfers:   Marcus Lafrance, a senior 3 star rated & Rayne Tanega-Doster a sr with a few fbs offers no rating.

I'll edit as I see any changes.  

Same coaching staff at HC, DC and OC as far as I know.   It's on the OC to get the O looking less vanilla and predictable.   Casteel has a year under his belt and we'll see how Valenti looks under center.   No shortage of talent or transfers as expected.    Maybe it will be Valenti, who can also run as a dual threat.   I can't say I'm not intrigued to see how Valenti performs. 

I'm hoping they can be a top 10 preseason in FL candidate by early August.   

I'm keeping a eye on them for potential top 25 preseason rankings since once we get to August i do top 25 not 10 

😂 

• Haha 1

STA may never get back to the days of being a nationally elite team. Privates like AHP, Gibbons, and Chaminade are all competing for kids with them now. But I'm not predicting a steep drop off within the state of FL. They're not the lock that they have been to win state in 7A but definitely still one of the top programs in FL.

1 hour ago, DB4 said:

STA may never get back to the days of being a nationally elite team. Privates like AHP, Gibbons, and Chaminade are all competing for kids with them now. But I'm not predicting a steep drop off within the state of FL. They're not the lock that they have been to win state in 7A but definitely still one of the top programs in FL.

7A I’m calling a lock this year.  If they play SFA they will be playing a clone w a better coaching staff it seems and likely an underdog for that one.  I hope the schedule has at least 3 interesting games regular season.  

OL with even vanilla style play calling will be mostly veterans and improved.   QB can’t be much worse.  D should be good.  Secondary should be very good.  Pass rush should be very good.  

If the OC decides to use quick slants, rb and Wr screens and a good sized fullback often, game on.  If dual threat Valenti wins the job also a good deal with the broken play capability.   

Coaching needs to step up and utilize your talent. I repeat,  use an athletic good sized fullback!   3 receivers and or TE/2 WR is just fine.  Doesn’t have to be 4 WR’s and punt formation.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

7A I’m calling a lock this year.  If they play SFA they will be playing a clone w a better coaching staff it seems and likely an underdog for that one.  I hope the schedule has at least 3 interesting games regular season.  

OL even vanilla style play calling will be mostly veterans and improved.   QB can’t be much worse.  D should be good.  Secondary should be very good.  Pass rush should be very good.  

If the OC decides to use quick slants, rb and Wr screens and a good sized fullback often, game on.  If dual threat Valenti wins the job also a good deal with the broken play capability.   

Coaching needs to step up and utilize your talent. I repeat,  use an athletic good sized fullback!   3 receivers and or TE/2 WR is just fine for me.  

Some funny stuff there

Bet last year was a lock too LMAO 

8 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Some funny stuff there

Bet last year was a lock too LMAO 

You are like the hsfbfan of the other forum... you are making Nolebull look like a valuable poster.  

Your preseason top 10 included AHP, Osceola, Armwood (another depleted marquee roster graduation), Raines,  Chaminade in mighty 3A).   Lakeland too LOL!  I've spent too much time with you as it is.   You have a grudge with STA because of one persona.   Fricking sad top 10 and sad posting.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

You are like the hsfbfan of the other forum... you are making Nolebull look like a valuable poster.  

Your preseason top 10 included AHP, Osceola, Armwood (another depleted marquee roster graduation), Raines,  Chaminade in mighty 3A).   I've spent too much time with you as it is.   You have a grudge with STA because of one persona.   Fricking sad top 10 and sad posting.  

You make a top 10 then since you know everything otherwise I'm done here

And if you think i have a issue with sta because of that moron then you are as stupid as he is 

I'm not gonna hand someone a ranking just because they have a roster of high rated players, i rank teams based on where i see them finishing and i don't see nothing on this roster different from last year team who accomplished absolutely nothing despite being a loaded roster with d1 players 

6 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Your preseason top 10 included AHP, Osceola, Armwood (another depleted marquee roster graduation), Raines,  Chaminade in mighty 3A).   I've spent too much time with you as it is.   You have a grudge with STA because of one persona.   Fricking sad top 10 and sad posting.  

How about sta prove something instead of expecting everything be handed to them

Entitled program of players who can't win the "weakest class in the state" because of one position being down from normal

And good defense?  I think 40+ to Miramar says otherwise 

That team last year didn't deserve top 10 but because they St frekin Aquinas they get a pass

Bunch of bullshit, they have gotten so complacent they can't even win with all that talent

Biggest underachieving team in the nation 

3 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

AHP?.is on a roll and if that coach stays they will get good ones...Much nicer area  than STA and nice campus with brick buildings...Bad field for visiting team..

I graduated from a HS near AHP and went to summer camp there when I was in middle school. The fact that they haven't upgraded the stadium shocks me. Space over there is a bit tight but still.

As far as the coach, I'm surprised Surtain is still there. I figured with his son graduating and this graduating class leaving, I thought he''d bounce for a college job.