Tennessee HSFB gurus. I’m curious...

954gator

How often do top 6A schools play top Div II-AAA privates?   Was trying to find some comparisons the last couple years and I realized they VERY rarely play.   

Any good matchups that have happened last few years?

Also what are your thoughts on the how the top teams would have fared the last few years if they had played.  

We get a decent one this week in Brentwood Acad vs Whitehaven.  Is Whitehaven being overlooked a bit in this matchup??

This all started in the 90s. Back then TN only had 3 classes (which I think they should go back to). The privates were included. The publics got sick of Brentwood Acad., MUS, and MBA winning state every other year and forced them to make their own division. Since then they've avoided playing each other. That is why this BA/Whitehaven matchup is a rare gem for TN football.  I would've loved to have seen BA and Oakland square off the last couple of years. Or, even Maryville/MBA or BA.  

• Thanks 3

Are the Tennessee parochial schools allowed to play public school?  In North Carolina privates have their own assosciation totally separate from the public school association but the parochial (non boarding) play with the publics. 

As a caveat there are more stringent rules in place for the three parochial schools than the publics.  365 sit out for any transfer student unless they are making an approved residential move coming from another parochial and zero financial aid from / through the Diocese program if the student participates in sports.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

This all started in the 90s. Back then TN only had 3 classes (which I think they should go back to). The privates were included. The publics got sick of Brentwood Acad., MUS, and MBA winning state every other year and forced them to make their own division. Since then they've avoided playing each other. That is why this BA/Whitehaven matchup is a rare gem for TN football.  I would've loved to have seen BA and Oakland square off the last couple of years. Or, even Maryville/MBA or BA.  

This!!!