Not exactly a sports article but will affect it in NJ

HSFBfan

I have been saying this for years and it looks like there might be some movement towards it is the fact that NJ has just way too many schools. For such a small state they have over 600 districts. The current administration there and I dont want to make this political is looking into cutting that number to around 300. Bigger regional schools should help the numbers on their sports teams and make them more competitive.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/pointpleasant/big-move-plan-eliminate-nearly-300-nj-school-districts

• Like 1

My 2 kids graduated from Midland Pk hs & neither had 90 in their class.Football & wrestling joined with Waldwick.It is surprising to me how well they do in other sports with such small numbers.Town population is around 7,000.

My son played for the last MP team but he wanted the merge to happen in his playing years.They had only 19 players so no hitting drills.He still ended up with the Bergen Record athlete of the week & All county 2nd team linebacker that he would have chucked to be on a larger team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tommygun58 said:

My 2 kids graduated from Midland Pk hs & neither had 90 in their class.Football & wrestling joined with Waldwick.It is surprising to me how well they do in other sports with such small numbers.Town population is around 7,000.

So this proposal should be able to help out a Midland park Waldwick etc

As long as the Catholics keep getting most of the players, it shouldn't affect what we talk we here, but yes, it will have an impact on the non-nat'l teams, which arguably are all the teams in the state.  lol  

Education-wise, not so sure.  Loss of local control, which we value.  We're always 1 or 2 in nation.  Can we really improve?  It will reduce a lot of admin, one would think, but will new schools have to be built to accommodate combining a few districts?  more busing.

NJ has a lot of smart wealthy professionals.  Why would they throw their lot in with the masses?  Saddle River knows the template for winning in life.  The Pareto principle.  Catholics and privates might go on the uptick.