Blast from the not-so past: Hysterical but troubling & sad

Testadura

https://www.jta.org/2010/10/18/israel/sephardi-leader-yosef-non-jews-exist-to-serve-jews

I remembered the above from a while ago, but hadn't thought about it in years.  Then, yesterday, I had a long discussion yesterday with Syrian-family friends, starting at a meeting and then over dinner, and we disagreed a bit on some things and life--e.g., I am a fan of Israel; Iran's not on my top-10 of favorites, etc.  During the course, they brought up the above.

Quick FYI on the linked:  There are about 1.4-million Sephardic Jews in Israel.  There are about 9.1-million people in Israel.  About 74% of the 9.1 million are Jewish (20% are Arab). More than half of the Jewish people are secular.  The AJC condemned the comments, which is how I took note of this incident initially years ago.  I've been to AJC events, bought tables at them, had partners, friends, clients honored at them, etc.

Israeli Sephardic leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef in his weekly Saturday night sermon said that non-Jews exist to serve Jews.

“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world; only to serve the People of Israel,” he said during a public discussion of what kind of work non-Jews are allowed to perform on Shabbat.

"Why are gentiles needed? They will work, they will plow, they will reap. We will sit like an effendi and eat," he said to some laughter.

Yosef, the spiritual leader of the Shas Party and the former chief Sephardi rabbi of Israel, also said that the lives of non-Jews are protected in order to prevent financial loss to Jews.

"With gentiles, it will be like any person: They need to die, but God will give them longevity. Why? Imagine that one’s donkey would die, they’d lose their money. This is his servant. That’s why he gets a long life, to work well for this Jew,” said the rabbi, who recently turned 90.

An audio recording of some of the rabbi’s remarks was broadcast on Israel’s Channel 10.

The American Jewish Committee condemned the rabbi’s remarks in a statement issued Monday.

How can you straighten out the world when people, maybe equivalent to a Cardinal (or higher in some ways), harbor these thoughts?  And don't say something stupid, like, well, he's a Rabbi or a religious.  Perhaps not Islam, but most notable and mainstream religions have been demonstrably declining for 2 centuries or more--there still here, yes, but the correlation isn't there; in fact, it's the inverse, which is not my point.  And religion, even for believers, doesn't have the same impact on our lives and culture, doesn't inform our decisions day to day, as it used to.

This cat sounds likes Obama's preacher.  Or like that other hate monger, who is amusing sometimes--what's his name?

2 hours ago, Testadura said:

https://www.jta.org/2010/10/18/israel/sephardi-leader-yosef-non-jews-exist-to-serve-jews

I remembered the above from a while ago, but hadn't thought about it in years.  Then, yesterday, I had a long discussion yesterday with Syrian-family friends, starting at a meeting and then over dinner, and we disagreed a bit on some things and life--e.g., I am a fan of Israel; Iran's not on my top-10 of favorites, etc.  During the course, they brought up the above.

Quick FYI on the linked:  There are about 1.4-million Sephardic Jews in Israel.  There are about 9.1-million people in Israel.  About 74% of the 9.1 million are Jewish (20% are Arab). More than half of the Jewish people are secular.  The AJC condemned the comments, which is how I took note of this incident initially years ago.  I've been to AJC events, bought tables at them, had partners, friends, clients honored at them, etc.

Israeli Sephardic leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef in his weekly Saturday night sermon said that non-Jews exist to serve Jews.

“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world; only to serve the People of Israel,” he said during a public discussion of what kind of work non-Jews are allowed to perform on Shabbat.

"Why are gentiles needed? They will work, they will plow, they will reap. We will sit like an effendi and eat," he said to some laughter.

Yosef, the spiritual leader of the Shas Party and the former chief Sephardi rabbi of Israel, also said that the lives of non-Jews are protected in order to prevent financial loss to Jews.

"With gentiles, it will be like any person: They need to die, but God will give them longevity. Why? Imagine that one’s donkey would die, they’d lose their money. This is his servant. That’s why he gets a long life, to work well for this Jew,” said the rabbi, who recently turned 90.

An audio recording of some of the rabbi’s remarks was broadcast on Israel’s Channel 10.

The American Jewish Committee condemned the rabbi’s remarks in a statement issued Monday.

How can you straighten out the world when people, maybe equivalent to a Cardinal (or higher in some ways), harbor these thoughts?  And don't say something stupid, like, well, he's a Rabbi or a religious.  Perhaps not Islam, but most notable and mainstream religions have been demonstrably declining for 2 centuries or more--there still here, yes, but the correlation isn't there; in fact, it's the inverse, which is not my point.  And religion, even for believers, doesn't have the same impact on our lives and culture, doesn't inform our decisions day to day, as it used to.

This cat sounds likes Obama's preacher.  Or like that other hate monger, who is amusing sometimes--what's his name?

And after the first part about people serving them could explain why they are the most hated people in history 

I wouldn't be sad--at least not so easily.  what the Chief Rabbi said was so outrageous, it was funny.  with all the tripe and sadder posts on this side of the board, tough skin is needed.   sadness is very subjective.  so is outrage, intolerance, and let's face it ... the double standards. 

the good news is that the AJC condemned it.  and after he called Obama a "slave," he repented.  This guy was an influential kook, a modern-day Father Coughlin, who reformed.  his comments were out of the mainstream, and he probably said he was sorry for them.  but a point is that our non-allies pay attention, and the world is complicated.

I love the Orangeman!!!

https://newsone.com/260947/israeli-leader-calls-obama-slave/

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, spiritual leader of Israel’s Shas Party, has called US President Barack Obama “a slave” who seeks to rule the world and control Tel Aviv’s affairs.

“American insidiousness tells us to build here and not to build there as though we were slaves working for them,” he said. “We live in a time when slaves are governing us and are trying to control us.”

The racist remarks were made during Yosef’s weekly sermon on Saturday during which he protested the Obama administration’s policy to exert pressure on Tel Aviv over its settlement expansion.