OT: Largest Hot Rod Show & Event Weds-Sat in Ocean City, MD

BigDrop

Perhaps the largest hot rod show, event and cruise in America (yes, an eight mile cruise with Mardi Gras like crowds on the sides of the streets for three or four miles-not an exaggeration) starting tomorrow in Ocean City, Maryland.  3,500+ registered 1970 and before cars, 150,000 projected in attendance by the Chamber of Commerce who now market this as America's largest.

My wife and I are going (again!) for our fifth straight year and are seriously looking forward to recapturing high school when I would drag race and do my best to try to pick up girls at the D. C. area's Topps Drive In and Mighty Mo Drive Inns.  (Anyone in Baltimore remember the Varsity or Fat Boy's?)  Average age is probably 40+ with a lot of people like us who are 60+.  For all of my political opinions I used to drag race when I was young ('70 GTO Judge) and spent countless lonely nights with a good friend when we struck out trying to pick up girls all over the DC/Baltimore area.  I should note that the nights when we were lucky and actually met somebody-it was probably because we thought our luck had gone through the roof:  going to a drive in movie with two six packs of beer!  My friend would goose me underneath the seat.  Little did he or I know that both girls were horror movie fanatics and they were desperate to see Fuad Ramses in Haskell Wexler's Blood Feast. Or John Waters' Pink Flamingos.  Serious.  Has anyone on here everyseen Pink Flamingoes?  He and I saw it on a double blind date at a drive in with two girls who actually liked it.  But they wouldn't kiss us good night.  

But Ocean City makes up for all of this.  It's now the equal to Myrtle Beach in size with 300,000+ on summer weekends and this starts it. Literally pulls from Cincinnati to New England to Pittsburgh to Carolina.  A lot of people take this real serious-absolutely awesome old cars and great rock and roll for four nights. A great hot rod show and event with a lot of old rock and roll and thousands of people along the side of Ocean Highway watching cars and girls and guys.  Entertaining to watch a 60 year old throw lines to a 50 year old (who was once jailbait).  But it happens.  Every block.

Starts tomorrow night.  https://www.specialeventpro.com/cruisin-ocean-city  Weather forecast:  80 degrees and sunny:  EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sounds like a great time! 

I do wonder why they used the picture of Erik Estrada from 30 years ago though. xD

I love a good car show. We have a couple of good ones here each year and trying to get a third to take off, but nothing like the pomp and pageantry of that card I just read that you are going to. 

Hope you all have a great time! 

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Sounds like a great time! 

I do wonder why they used the picture of Erik Estrada from 30 years ago though. xD

I love a good car show. We have a couple of good ones here each year and trying to get a third to take off, but nothing like the pomp and pageantry of that card I just read that you are going to. 

Hope you all have a great time! 

Thanks, HqwgGoneIit, they are really good promoters and Ocean City, Maryland is a great summer beach town that is now big.  The 300,000 number is real for an average weekend.  They've also really expanded the area they promote this in.  It now has radio advertisements in Pittsburgh, Columbus, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and New York City along with DC., Baltimore and Richmond.  There will be a lot of Canadian plates to, from the Toronto area which is about 750 miles.

OC has a two and one half mile boardwalk that is about 30 yards wide with snow white sand on the beach that they really take care of.  There are also countless major national hotels who you can stay in directly on the boardwalk.  A lot of this are thousands of people sitting on balcanies and toasting those who walk and, yes, drive, by.  They let registered hot rods parade on the boardwalk every morning.

The even thas really blown up since it started almost 30 years ago.

• Like 1