STA 09

GrecoRoman

Did this team actaully have a backfield of Gio Bernard and James White and WR corps of Phillip Dorsett, Rasha e and Lamarcus Joyner?  I saw this posted somewhere and trying to verify if accurate  - I've been looking for footage & havent found much to confirm. 

If it's true there has never been a HS offense assembled like this.  If the QB and oline were halfway decent then damn.  And I don't want to hear this shit that "well just because players were good in the NFL it doesnt transalte to what a team was in HS".  These guys all dominated right off the bat in college against the best comp  just one year removed from their SR of HS and White and Bernard have led the NFL at times in various stats jhaving long top level careers

If that offensive lineup is true then its beyond insane and there hasn;t been anything close to date.  I have no clue if their defense was good or how the overall team would stack up - I'm speaking specifically to that offensive lineup.  You could argue that if you could assemble those guys together in college they would have been better than any other college unit at the time - yet they were are on the same squad in HS?  And believe me - Dorsett was off the mf'n charts - listen to Tom Brady talk about him.  He was just slightly too small/weak off the jam   to be a breakout player in the NFL but started for years anyway - in college his QB's were terrible.  Rashaad Greene was as good as any collegiate receiver in the nation and Lamarcus Joyner i dont even need to comment on 

Giovani Bernard only played in part of 6 games that year because of a hamstring injury. Lamarcus Joyner floated around but mostly played running back behind James White after Bernard got hurt. He won USA Today Defensive Player of the Year which was mostly a joke since he hardly played defense that year.

4 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Did this team actaully have a backfield of Gio Bernard and James White and WR corps of Phillip Dorsett, Rasha e and Lamarcus Joyner?  I saw this posted somewhere and trying to verify if accurate  - I've been looking for footage & havent found much to confirm. 

If it's true there has never been a HS offense assembled like this.  If the QB and oline were halfway decent then damn.  And I don't want to hear this shit that "well just because players were good in the NFL it doesnt transalte to what a team was in HS".  These guys all dominated right off the bat in college against the best comp  just one year removed from their SR of HS and White and Bernard have led the NFL at times in various stats jhaving long top level careers

If that offensive lineup is true then its beyond insane and there hasn;t been anything close to date.  I have no clue if their defense was good or how the overall team would stack up - I'm speaking specifically to that offensive lineup.  You could argue that if you could assemble those guys together in college they would have been better than any other college unit at the time - yet they were are on the same squad in HS?  And believe me - Dorsett was off the mf'n charts - listen to Tom Brady talk about him.  He was just slightly too small/weak off the jam   to be a breakout player in the NFL but started for years anyway - in college his QB's were terrible.  Rashaad Greene was as good as any collegiate receiver in the nation and Lamarcus Joyner i dont even need to comment on 

QB is in the NFL too.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Giovani Bernard only played in part of 6 games that year because of a hamstring injury. Lamarcus Joyner floated around but mostly played running back behind James White after Bernard got hurt. He won USA Today Defensive Player of the Year which was mostly a joke since he hardly played defense that year.

His first TD catch and run and his return TD vs Byrnes were eye opening.    That kid was freak.   I think STA was trying to use him a bit too much towards the end though.   Sucked STA was riddled with injuries, because that team would have been in the convo for best ever. 

11 minutes ago, 954gator said:

His first TD catch and run and his return TD vs Byrnes were eye opening.    That kid was freak.   I think STA was trying to use him a bit too much towards the end though.   Sucked STA was riddled with injuries, because that team would have been in the convo for best ever. 

Wait how did the season finish for 2009 STA?

10 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I miss the days of Ely being solid.   Seems like the only public that is still somewhat contending consistently is DFB.   

Ely is decent but usually schedules way above their pay grade and Dillard seemed to be getting better but idk how good they will be without their coach who tragically passed about a month or 2 ago

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Ely is decent but usually schedules way above their pay grade and Dillard seemed to be getting better but idk how good they will be without their coach who tragically passed about a month or 2 ago

Ely used to GOOD.   Always a tough game in the early 2000s, then they made a little comeback in the late 2000s.   Since then though the program has declined big time. 

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Ely used to GOOD.   Always a tough game in the early 2000s, then they made a little comeback in the late 2000s.   Since then though the program has declined big time. 

It seems like Ely and Dillard fell apart for same reason, once they failed to maintain program and coaching stability both started declining and losing players to other more stable schools in Broward county

Here's a pretty cool full game 2007 STA vs Ely.    STA won states that year so they were pretty good, but Ely was never a gimmie in those days and they were very fortunate to win that one.  Patrick Peterson was a bad ass.  Ely was always loaded with sick Dbs back then.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I think STA was trying to use him a bit too much towards the end though.   Sucked STA was riddled with injuries, because that team would have been in the convo for best ever. 

The staff has been really good at talent evaluation and player positioning but Lamarcus Joyner was probably a miss. I think they may have just had so much talent that they thought he was a luxury. He came as a defensive back and probably should've just played there but we already had entrenched guys at those positions.

He wasn't a natural running back and was probably a bit wasted there.

4 minutes ago, The Guru said:

The staff has been really good at talent evaluation and player positioning but Lamarcus Joyner was probably a miss. I think they may have just had so much talent that they thought he was a luxury. He came as a defensive back and probably should've just played there but we already had entrenched guys at those positions.

He wasn't a natural running back and was probably a bit wasted there.

Yeah I mean who do you replace?    Roberson was one of the better coverage safties STA has had IMO, Robinson was a big hitter,   Riggs and Payne were great at corner.   

What ever happened to Brian Robinson and Keon Payne after STA?  

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Here's a pretty cool full game 2007 STA vs Ely.    STA won states that year so they were pretty good, but Ely was never a gimmie in those days.  Patrick Peterson was a bad ass.  Ely was always loaded with sick Dbs back then. 

Almost got clipped by a team that probably shouldn't have been that close.

I can think of two reasons:

Jeremiah Harden was injured and didn't play. Giovani Bernard was a Sophomore and the #2 back that year. He wasn't quite ready for prime time and did not have a good game that night.

Patrick Peterson played QB which I don't think they did much prior to that game. They just snapped it to him and let him do his thing and he made several plays that nearly stole that game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I watched some of the vids.  In my mind you have to assume they're the best ever b/c obviously the teams can't play on another.  They have by far the best collection of proven talent and I can tell by the gameplay of their offense that I havent seen a defense in HS that would stop them.  The QB and oline look real solid also.  

Of course players on teams over the last few years havent had their chance to be proven at the next levels yet but I have a hard team believing any  team will have this many players succeed at the next two levels.  I think a lot of people underestimate just what it means to be not just very good top D1 but then in the NFL as well.  Especially in terms of HS when the player was making immediate impact as a freshman - it means thats essentially who he was last year in the HS season 

24 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Wait how did the season finish for 2009 STA?

Loss to Manatee in the Semi's.   One of the biggest upsets in the playoffs.   STA has some guys out injured, but they still should have got it done.    I remember Ace Saunders having a big game for Manatee.   You know those zebras weren't going to make it easy either. 

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

What ever happened to Brian Robinson and Keon Payne after STA?  

Brian Robinson went to Marshall and then bounced around the JUCO scene, I think.

Keion Payne signed with Miami but, frankly, wasn't that good. Probably should've played at a lower FBS level.

• Thanks 1