College Football Decade Tournament

ngdawg

It's here! The ultimate championship of this past decade's best college football teams. 128 teams made the final cut and have been seeded and sorted into four regions. The first matchups will be posted at 5:00 pm today! Big thanks to @Columbiafan as he helped me out at every step along the way.

Who will be the last one standing?

• Thanks 1

The 4 regions are the Bayou Region, the Crimson Tide Region, the Seminole Region, and the Tiger Region. Each region has 32 teams. Today's matchups will encompass the first half of the Bayou Region. Stay tuned for more information as the day progresses!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

The 4 regions are the Bayou Region, the Crimson Tide Region, the Seminole Region, and the Death Valley Region. Each region has 32 teams. Today's matchups will encompass the first half of the Bayou Region. Stay tuned for more information as the day progresses!

Actually last one should be death valley region but I agree I'm looking forward to it

I'm sure some may be able to start discussing who likely made the region since the regions were named after a form of namesake with each of the 4 teams who got top seed in that region

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Actually last one should be death valley region but I agree I'm looking forward to it

I'm sure some may be able to start discussing who likely made the region since the regions were named after a form of namesake with each of the 4 teams who got top seed in that region

Whoops! My bad. Definitely some teams people forgot about that are in here too. I'm looking to see which of these teams are gonna pull of the first round upset and which teams are going to be cinderellas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

I felt when I did the list that the bayou region overall ended up being the toughest bracket but there are several legit threats in each bracket so there's no guarantee that the 1 seed wins out in any of them

There are probably some teams that'll lose before they actually should, but I guess that's part of the tournament. The Bayou Region is definitely one of the more fun ones, which is why that'll be out first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

There are probably some teams that'll lose before they actually should, but I guess that's part of the tournament. The Bayou Region is definitely one of the more fun ones, which is why that'll be out first.

Yeah that's the fun part lol

If everything happened as expected we could have just skipped to final 16 and did that but we bound to have some upsets along the way so it's interesting to see when we get these upsets at 

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Yeah that's the fun part lol

If everything happened as expected we could have just skipped to final 16 and did that but we bound to have some upsets along the way so it's interesting to see when we get these upsets at 

Honestly the reason I do these tournaments is to see the upsets along the way. Sure, the final teams are great, but it's always better to see which teams get knocked out. In the Georgia tournament, I thought 2012 Norcross would make a deep run, but Buford put them out in the first (or second, I forget which) round.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Probably. But I can't think of another team (maybe 2016 Clemson) that could keep up with Burrow and the offense. Their defense was pretty good too.

They played pretty tight with perhaps the weakest bama defense of the entire decade 

I honestly would have picked 2011, 2012, and 2015 teams for bama being capable of knocking off LSU, LSU took full advantage in a weak CFB year and won a Championship but I didn't feel that over the course of the season I saw anything impressive with their defense, they had talent on paper but as a team what did they do on defense that puts them on par with more complete teams this decade?

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

They played pretty tight with perhaps the weakest bama defense of the entire decade 

I honestly would have picked 2011, 2012, and 2015 teams for bama being capable of knocking off LSU, LSU took full advantage in a weak CFB year and won a Championship but I didn't feel that over the course of the season I saw anything impressive with their defense, they had talent on paper but as a team what did they do on defense that puts them on par with more complete teams this decade?

See, I get that there are more complete teams. However, LSU's offense was so prolific that it would have made other well-rounded teams think twice. There are definitely more complete teams than 2019 LSU, but I think their offense carries them most of the way and their defense provides a clutch stop at the end.

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

Either 2011 bama or 2018 clemson. It would be even more interesting if y'all included the champs from 2000-2009. The REAL fun would begin there.

Well I suppose if this tournament goes well then we could do a 2000-2009 tournament and let the winners of both face off 

Clemson is a 2 seed in the bayou Region 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

Either 2011 bama or 2018 clemson. It would be even more interesting if y'all included the champs from 2000-2009. The REAL fun would begin there.

Oh boy, 2007 would have been a pain. Like, which team stood out the best? It wasn't clear cut for sure.

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

See, I get that there are more complete teams. However, LSU's offense was so prolific that it would have made other well-rounded teams think twice. There are definitely more complete teams than 2019 LSU, but I think their offense carries them most of the way and their defense provides a clutch stop at the end.

I guess we shall see but at end of the day when we get to cream of the crop there will be great teams who played well on both sides of the ball and are loaded in talent 

In those cases I got to favor the more balanced team 

Just now, Columbiafan said:

I guess we shall see but at end of the day when we get to cream of the crop there will be great teams who played well on both sides of the ball and are loaded in talent 

In those cases I got to favor the more balanced team 

Yeah, you've got a point there. But we're bound to see some upsets in this tournament.

• Like 1