MLK with a little “National” sports theme

golfaddict1

Not sure how many saw this.  I've seen him on tv many times over the years. A very impressive man and a true American hero.  I had the good fortune to meet some Tuskeegee heroes at an air show here in Atlanta with my boys many years ago.

https://abc7.com/charles-mcgee-tuskegee-airmen-obituary-veteran/11476834/

Charles McGee, brigadier general and one of the last surviving Tuskegee Airmen, dies at 102

McGee drew a standing ovation from members of Congress when introduced by President Trump during his State of the Union address.

By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL Associated Press
Monday, January 17, 2022 5:27AM

WASHINGTON -- Charles McGee, a Tuskegee Airman who flew 409 fighter combat missions over three wars and later helped to bring attention to the Black pilots who had battled racism at home to fight for freedom abroad, died Sunday. He was 102.

McGee died in his sleep at his home in Bethesda, Maryland, said his son, Ron McGee.

After the U.S. entry into World War II, McGee left the University of Illinois to join an experimental program for Black soldiers seeking to train as pilots after the Army Air Corps was forced to admit African Americans. In October 1942 he was sent to the Tuskegee Army Air Field in Alabama for flight training, according to his biography on the website of the National Aviation Hall of Fame.

FJP4cYQXsAMIQJr?format=jpg&name=900x900

"You could say that one of the things we were fighting for was equality," he told The Associated Press in a 1995 interview. "Equality of opportunity. We knew we had the same skills, or better."

McGee graduated from flight school in June 1943 and in early 1944 joined the all-Black 332nd Fighter Group, known as the "Red Tails." He flew 136 missions as the group accompanied bombers over Europe.

More than 900 men trained at Tuskegee from 1940 to 1946. About 450 deployed overseas and 150 lost their lives in training or combat.

In recent years the Tuskegee Airmen have been the subject of books, movies and documentaries highlighting their courage in the air and the doubts they faced on the ground because of their race. In 2007 a Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian award from Congress, was issued to recognize their "unique military record that inspired revolutionary reform in the Armed Forces."

McGee remained in the Army Air Corps, later the U.S. Air Force, and served for 30 years. He flew low-level bombing and strafing missions during the Korean War and returned to combat again during the Vietnam War. The National Aviation Hall of Fame says his 409 aerial fighter combat missions in three wars remains a record.

He retired as a colonel in the Air Force in 1973, then earned a college degree in business administration and worked as a business executive. He was accorded an honorary commission promoting him to the one-star rank of brigadier general as he turned 100. Another event marked his centennial year: He flew a private jet between Frederick, Maryland, and Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

In 2020, McGee drew a standing ovation from members of Congress when introduced by President Donald Trump during his State of the Union address.

In addition to encouraging young men and women to pursue careers in aviation, McGee was a source of information about the Tuskegee Airmen and offered a unique perspective on race relations of the era through the airmen's nonprofit educational organization.

"At the time of the war, the idea of an all African American flight squadron was radical and offensive to many," McGee wrote in an essay for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

"The prevailing opinion was that blacks did not possess the intelligence or courage to be military pilots. One general even wrote, 'The Negro type has not the proper reflexes to make a first-rate fighter pilot.' The Tuskegee Airmen certainly proved men like him wrong."

Charles Edward McGee was born Dec. 7, 1919, in Cleveland, the son of a minister who also worked as a teacher and social worker and was a military chaplain. He graduated from high school in Chicago in 1938.

Survivors include daughters Charlene McGee Smith and Yvonne McGee, 10 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren and a great-great grandchild. His wife of more than 50 years, Frances, died in 1994.

A family statement described McGee as "a living legend known for his kind-hearted and humble nature, who saw positivity at every turn."

In tweets Sunday honoring McGee, both Vice President Kamala Harris and Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III called him an American hero.

"While I am saddened by his loss, I'm also incredibly grateful for his sacrifice, his legacy, and his character. Rest in peace, General," Austin wrote.

In his Smithsonian essay, McGee wrote that he was often asked why the Tuskegee Airmen were so successful in combat.

"I would say it was because of our courage and perseverance," he wrote. "We dreamed of being pilots as boys but were told it was not possible. Through faith and determination we overcame enormous obstacles. This is a lesson that all young people need to hear."

He added: "I am most proud of my work as a Tuskegee Airman that helped bring down racial barriers and defeat the Nazis."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, concha said:

Not sure how many saw this.  I've seen him on tv many times over the years. A very impressive man and a true American hero.  I had the good fortune to meet some Tuskeegee heroes at an air show here in Atlanta with my boys many years ago.

https://abc7.com/charles-mcgee-tuskegee-airmen-obituary-veteran/11476834/

First, maybe it's just my TMobile/Iphone12 compatibility issue... but it's a major PITA for me to reply using my cell phone.  So often, it shows me online yet my name is not on the bottom of the screen.  It allows me to post a message and often sends me a message with something happened and to contact admin.  Then when I log back in the message I prepared is saved and I can send a reply.  Rant over to all.   

Nice add, enjoyed the read and what I will take away most is what I boldfaced on underlined above... younger generation impacted by history and seeing heroes in person.  

My father took me to see Marty Glickman speak when I was a young lad and to this day I think back to how cool that was and inspirational.  Man, the look on my father when we got to meet him after the speech.  Like the photo I used to walk by hundreds of times at my childhood friend's home of his father a handshake away from Pope John Paul ll with a view directly of his face.   You never forget things like this.  

Regarding military, while we chatter about left and right and it gets silly often as there is no color gray here... it's only black and white politics,  I recall a very cool and intense feeling at the Ft. Laud. Air Show in 2002.  I believe it was in a warm month (ha for SoFL but maybe April-May period) and of course the emotion of 9/11 was from head to toe for me and I'm sure most normal patrons there that weekend.   The fighter pilots making turns around our somewhat secluded away from the sardine can crowds, was so fricking emotional and intense.  They would leave the beach area at times and let the folks away from the show have a nice emotional boost as well and they'd come back with a vengeance sneaking around buildings and doing "40 yard dashes" right past us.  :)   Total USA, Fuck you man with a lump in my throat.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

First, maybe it's just my TMobile/Iphone12 compatibility issue... but it's a major PITA for me to reply using my cell phone.  So often, it shows me online yet my name is not on the bottom of the screen.  It allows me to post a message and often sends me a message with something happened and to contact admin.  Then when I log back in the message I prepared is saved and I can send a reply.  Rant over to all.   

Nice add, enjoyed the read and what I will take away most is what I boldfaced on underlined above... younger generation impacted by history and seeing heroes in person.  

My father took me to see Marty Glickman speak when I was a young lad and to this day I think back to how cool that was and inspirational.  Man, the look on my father when we got to meet him after the speech.  Like the photo I used to walk by hundreds of times at my childhood friend's home of his father a handshake away from Pope John Paul ll with a view directly of his face.   You never forget things like this.  

Regarding military, while we chatter about left and right and it gets silly often as there is no color gray here... it's only black and white politics,  I recall a very cool and intense feeling at the Ft. Laud. Air Show in 2002.  I believe it was in a warm month (ha for SoFL but maybe April-May period) and of course the emotion of 9/11 was from head to toe for me and I'm sure most normal patrons there that weekend.   The fighter pilots making turns around our somewhat secluded away from the sardine can crowds, was so fricking emotional and intense.  They would leave the beach area at times and let the folks away from the show have a nice emotional boost as well and they'd come back with a vengeance sneaking around buildings and doing "40 yard dashes" right past us.  :)   Total USA, Fuck you man with a lump in my throat.  

The visit to the Tuskegee booth was a priority.  I read a lot of military history and those cats were heroes on many levels. Having my boys meet them and thank them was a must.  Thinking about it, it must have been around the time Red Tails came out (which was also made a priority).

I've taught my boys to thank first responders and military whenever they can, but getting to do it with Tuskegee airmen was on a whole other level.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, concha said:

The visit to the Tuskegee booth was a priority.  I read a lot of military history and those cats were heroes on many levels. Having my boys meet them and thank them was a must.  Thinking about it, it must have been around the time Red Tails came out (which was also made a priority).

I've taught my boys to thank first responders and military whenever they can, but getting to do it with Tuskegee airmen was on a whole other level.

A buddy of mine from OOS visited my fam in SoFL some years back and him and I did a nice road trip to take in the Daytona 500.  My first visit (been a fan since childhood though).  We met a very nice group of guys, who looked like they came off set from a Top Gun episode take in official unis, prior to their flyover later that day.   My buddy and I shook their hands and I/we thanked them for their service and wished them a safe flight.  Just got lucky being at a quick check type place grabbing snacks when they were getting hydration drinks.  

We then took in a Krystal for no hydration lol.  My one visit… a clone looking White Castle burger but not cooked the same way.   

Easiest way to determine what year we attended is googling most boring race with not a single entertaining crash.  :) Has to be a top 10 race in finishing time. 
But was entertaining, was walking into the stadium behind cute little kids dressed in cowboy boots and hats, blue jeans cutoff shorts.  Fun memory.