College assistant basketball coaches locked up

Bormio

3 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Tell me about all the NFL players who did not go to college.

That was there choice to go to college. They do not have too. You said they are sitting in school where they dont have to be. Your right they dont have to be there. They can work out privately for 3 years and if they get invited to the combine or a camp then they can go from there but they certainly do not have to go to college or play college ball.

I dont know the rules of the CFL but that might be a possibility of playing professionally up there out of HS until you can attend the NFL

Here are some of the players that did not go to college and played in the NFL

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-5-best-nfl-players-who-didnt-go-to-college.html/?a=viewall

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

That was there choice to go to college. They do not have too. You said they are sitting in school where they dont have to be. Your right they dont have to be there. They can work out privately for 3 years and if they get invited to the combine or a camp then they can go from there but they certainly do not have to go to college or play college ball.

I dont know the rules of the CFL but that might be a possibility of playing professionally up there out of HS until you can attend the NFL

Here are some of the players that did not go to college and played in the NFL

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-5-best-nfl-players-who-didnt-go-to-college.html/?a=viewall

Not the best advice to go that route. Chances have proven to be extremely slim. But you are right, no one HAS to got to college. But it's silly not to at this point if they have sights on playing professionally.

Just now, maxchoboian said:

Not the best advice to go that route. Chances have proven to be extremely slim. But you are right, no one HAS to got to college. But it's silly not to at this point if they have sights on playing professionally.

But you are making it sound like they are being forced to go and sit in college. You are not being forced to do anything. The NFL and NBA want you to get somewhat of an education. NBA stopped letting kids go from HS to the NBA. i believe LeBron was the last kid to do it. Spending a year in college is a joke though. You get nothing out of 1 year. Should be at least 2 for your associates which really still means nothing today but thats a different conversation. If these kids do not want to attend college they dont have to. They can take their chances that they are still relevant 3 years later. As for basketball players they can play pro across the world. My buddy plays professional basketball in south america

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

2 out of 1696 players. 

.12%

Miniscule number. Not worth even discussing. 

My whole point tho is that you dont have to go to college. Max was saying that these kids have no interest in being there which for one is a very general statement to make for all college student athletes. But the real point tho was they dont have to be there. They dont have to go. Nobody is forcing them to be there. The NFL and NBA want you to go get an education but they cannot force you to go to school. Now the NHL and MLB can take you right out of HS to the professional leagues. 

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

Plenty of college athletes have no interest whatsoever in sitting in a classroom learning about math or literature or science or history, so why force them to go to college if they are just working toward or hoping for a shot at playing for a living.

15 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Max was saying that these kids have no interest in being there which for one is a very general statement to make for all college student athletes. 

Not for all student athletes, as you can see by what I wrote. Plenty of the Power 5 scholarships players, for sure, but not all. In any case, arguing that players do not have to go to college to play in the NFL is a waste of time. It's true, but not very realistic at all.

Just now, maxchoboian said:

Not for all student athletes, as you can see by what I wrote. Plenty of the Power 5 scholarships players, for sure, but not all. In any case, arguing that players do not have to go to college to play in the NFL is a waste of time. It's true, but not very realistic at all.

Ok well we agree on both premises. Maybe if they actually had an interest in school 78% of athletes would not be broke

On 9/27/2017 at 12:57 AM, steeler01 said:

Nobody knew what the sanctions USC was going to get

https://www.conquestchronicles.com/2015/7/20/9000965/five-years-later-sanctions-against-usc-increased-before-they-were

Now it's coming to light, because McNair took the NCAA to court

More documents related to the USC sanctions case were released last week that have transcripts involving NCAA members talking about how they needed to hammer USC for their violations and how two members who were not supposed to voice their reasonings to the committee became involved.

In the documents released this week, the NCAA originally planned to impose a one-year postseason ban for the Trojans, the loss of six scholarships over two years, and a scholarship limit of 82 for those two years. The actual sanctions for the Trojans were a two-year postseason ban, the loss of 30 scholarships over three years and a maximum of 75 scholarship players for those three years. Let’s compare these penalties to other big-time programs that have been sanctioned in the past five years:

Miami (FL): Over a dozen football players at Miami (FL) accepted improper benefits from booster Nevin Shapiro during the 2000’s. The NCAA put the school on probation for three years but the school did not receive a postseason ban even though they had self-imposed that ban the previous two years. It is interesting to note that the athletic director at Miami during this era was Paul Dee, who was the Committee of Infractions Chairman for USC’s case. Also Miami self-imposed their sanctions.

Carroll knew the NCAA was bringing the heat and he would be under a microscope.  Pete was smart enough to take the offer from Seattle.

I think USC got screwed over and I think USC's admin showed a lack of balls.  The scholarship hits were something that not many programs would be able to get through without the program being in complete shambles. 

Regarding Miami or any other school, once they impose a ban that is more extreme than the NCAA's, the NCAA often do not follow up with language referencing a bowl ban that would have been included.