The Whipsaw Song

DarterBlue

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

you are starting to worry me :$

No worries mon. I am still an easy going, Jamaican. Seykota was a trader I first read about in the first Market Wizards book.

An MIT graduate, he was one of the first traders to develop sophisticated, computer algorithms to guide his system in the late 1960s.

16 minutes ago, noonereal said:

and here I thought the nature of investing was to buy ownership in a company that you thought had a great idea or product so that idea or product could grow and in so doing give you a fair return on your investment

That's the Warren Buffet way. It is what I call "good capitalism." I have the technical proficiency to do that, as I have prepared and studied many 10k's in my lifetime, and have a working career of business experience.

However, temperamentally, it would not work for me as I lack both the long term patience (a character flaw), and the conviction (I have always regarded our capitalist system as being inherently unstable) to buy and hold ownership in companies that seemed to have great products and services. 

The way you describe works if you do your homework and have both time and patience on your side.

If you are lazy and have neither time nor patience, you had best stay away from markets altogether, with the exception of owning a broadly diversified mutual fund when you are still at least 5 years away from retirement. For both fundamental and technical analysis take an awful lot of hard work, patience, self awareness and self confidence. At the same time, you have to recognize your mistakes, admit them, take your losses, and move on when you are wrong. Not many people have the right profile to actively trade or invest.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

and here I thought the nature of investing was to buy ownership in a company that you thought had a great idea or product so that idea or product could grow and in so doing give you a fair return on your investment. 

Think about it this way....In our system these companies are PUBLICLY held and traded...(not governmental or private)

The speculation side, is not the fault of the Companies, or the market.....

It's those public speculators that you think burden the market with this...

And most Company management would agree with your condemnation of it....

It fucks them alot harder than it does you....

and The majority of their pay is based in STOCK....