Buford Baseball Returns to Finals

BUFORDGAWOLVES

Buford returns to state finals with sweep of Flowery Branch

• By Brandon Brigman

Staff Correspondent

• May 15, 2018 Updated May 18, 2018
    •  

Buford returns to state finals with sweep of Flowery Branch

Buford’s Ramsey David pitches during the Wolves’ 3-2 victory over Flowery Branch in the AAAAA semifinals.

BUFORD — Buford continued its roll through the Class AAAAA baseball state playoffs on Tuesday, winning its eighth-straight playoff game.

The Wolves drew a bases-loaded walk in Game 1 for a 3-2 victory over Flowery Branch and then needed the seventh inning again for a 1-0 win in Game 2 of the semifinals.

“You come out and play Flowery Branch, your rival, you can throw out scores and overall records,” Buford head coach Stuart Chester said. “They’ve got a good ball club and it was two good baseball games.”

The victory put Buford back in the state finals for the third time in four years where the Wolves will face a familiar foe. Buford will take on defending state champion and this year’s Region 8 champ Loganville on Monday at the University of Georgia. No. 2 ranked Buford lost to top-ranked Loganville 4-2 and 8-1 in April after beating No. 9 Flowery Branch days earlier.

“They are a really good baseball team,” said Chester of Loganville, which defeated Starr’s Mill. “I’ve always had that philosophy that pitching is going to beat good hitting and, son, they are loaded. It will just come down to if we don’t make any mistakes and just hang in until the end.”

Buford (28-11) has not lost a game in the state playoffs this year, winning by an average of seven runs. It was a different story on Tuesday in a pair of tight games.

Grant James was the unlikely hero in Game 2. The senior struck out in the third and fifth innings. But after Garrison Price led off the seventh with a single and Brandon Jolliff had a sacrifice bunt, James came up with a big hit. The senior’s RBI single drove in Price for the 1-0 lead.

“Up until this series, he was struggling and couldn’t buy a hit, just hitting it right at them,” Chester said. “He doesn’t get down on himself and it couldn’t have happened to a greater young man with a base hit right there.”

Buford starting pitcher Sean Adams finished off the seventh inning to pitch a beautiful game. The senior had 10 strikeouts and allowed one hit. He never faced more than four batters in an inning.

“He struggled the last two rounds with his location, his curve ball,” Chester said. “But it was on tonight.”

In Game 1, the Wolves were faced with bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh with the game on the line down 2-1.

Griffin Price reached on a walk and Evan Place, who drove in the Wolves’ first run in the fifth with a ground out, had an RBI double to tie the game 2-2.

Noah Ledford followed with his third walk of the game, but runner K.J. Johnson was thrown out at second. Kaleb Elder reached on a fielder’s choice as a pinch hitter and Garrison Price dew an intentional walk. Patrick Wagner drew four straight balls to plate runner Christian Griffin for the winning 3-2 run.

“With a 3-0 count, I told him to get on top of the plate and make it as small as you can make it,” Chester said. “I’ll take a walk in that situation.”

Ramsey David was the starting pitcher for Buford, going 6 1/3 innings, striking out nine and allowing four hits and one run.

image.png

• Like 1

Just now, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Congrats Buford I wish I can say that to another south ga team. But they got knocked out by a 10-39 Baseball team after bragging about starting 5-0 

I've already figured out an itinerary for your potential "visit' on October 26.

Inbox level of interest for particulars.

Regards,

C.A.

• Haha 1