Canada to legalize pot this Wednesday

ohio

The drawback is that one can only buy 30 grams which is only a little over one ounce according to this article.

On Wednesday, Canada will become the largest country in the world to legalize cannabis. The move will not only drastically reshape marijuana in that country, but means that the entire West Coast — from Alaska to California — has become a marijuana marketplace where the formerly taboo drug is legal and commonplace.

Ahead of that shift, officials on both sides of the 49th Parallel are warning pot users not to get so comfortable they forget the border exists. Their message: Do not cross with cannabis.

What to keep in mind when you’re crossing the border:

Eight million people passed through Washington’s five crossings with British Columbia last year. Pot will now be legal on both sides of those crossings, but the border itself is a no-weed zone and attempting to take cannabis from one country into the other is strictly prohibited.

In a recently issued statement, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol reiterated that it enforces federal law, which still considers marijuana a Schedule I drug. American and Canadian border agents have broad discretion in whether they ask about marijuana, search vehicles or pursue charges for people who get caught with pot.

Brandon Lee, consul general of Canada in Seattle, said people should be especially careful when traveling by ferry or road because they may forget they’re in possession.

“B.C. and Washington — we’re so close, even personality wise, culturally,” Lee said. “If people are cannabis users here or in B.C. … they may have some in their car.”

In a report this year, the Border Policy Research Institute at Western Washington University wrote that as legalization spreads, “there is a growing misconception in Cascadia about the legality of cannabis,” including people not realizing pot is illegal at the northern border. If that continues, the report said, it could take longer to cross the border as more agents are tied up questioning people about pot or searching vehicles.

Laurie Trautman, director of the institute, said some young adults in northern Washington may not remember a time when marijuana wasn’t at least semi-legal. (Washington first legalized medical marijuana in 1998.) “My biggest fear, really, is you have kind of a younger generation that doesn’t really know that marijuana is illegal in the United States,” Trautman said.

British Columbia Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said new signs near Washington/B.C. border crossings will remind people not to travel with pot. “If you don’t bring drugs across the border, you’re going to be just fine,” Farnworth said.

It won’t be that simple for everyone.

Noncitizens who admit cannabis use to U.S. border agents have long faced potential lifetime bans from the United States. Saba Naqvi, a Vancouver-based immigration attorney, said there’s little indication American border agents will change that practice.

Delivered bright and early weekday mornings, this email provides a quick overview of top stories and need-to-know news.

In a September statement, CBP reiterated that any noncitizen who is determined to be a “drug abuser or addict” or who admits to committing acts abroad that would be illegal in the U.S. could be barred from entering the country. The agency did offer a limited reprieve for people working in Canada’s new industry, though. People working in Canada’s legal marijuana market will be allowed to enter the U.S. for reasons unrelated to the industry, but may be barred from industry-related travel, the statement said.

“Lying [to border agents] can definitely have negative consequences and an impact,” Naqvi said, but “admitting to use can have a negative impact as well. [Canadians] need to seriously consider whether to attempt admission to the U.S. in this kind of climate.”

What to expect from Canada’s legal weed market:

Washingtonians traveling to Canada will notice key differences in the rules for buying and smoking.

While the federal government in Canada legalized the drug for anyone 18 or older, it allowed provinces to make their own rules, too. In B.C., the legal purchase age will be 19, compared to Washington’s legal age of 21.

Unlike Washington’s strict rules against public consumption, smoking and vaping will be allowed in most places in Canada where smoking tobacco is allowed. In B.C., that means most sidewalks are fair game, but playgrounds and public parks are off-limits, Farnworth said.

While Canadians can have as much pot at home as they want, the public possession limit will be 30 grams. That’s roughly equal to Washington’s one-ounce limit. Canadians will also be allowed to grow up to four plants per household. Home grows for recreational use are banned in Washington.

At first, recreational stores in Canada will sell flower and some oils. Edibles won’t be legal immediately but will be allowed within a year. Because Canada’s legalization is nationwide, marijuana businesses can access mail services, and some stores will sell online. Some in person and online stores will be government-run, like some Canadian liquor stores, and others will be privately run.

In British Columbia, just one store will be licensed in time for the first day of legal recreational sales. The store, in Kamloops, will be government-run. The exact price of that newly legal cannabis remains to be seen.

According to the British Columbia Liquor Distribution Branch, which will run the Kamloops store, wholesale marijuana will cost stores between $5 and $11 a gram before retail markup. A spokesperson for the agency would not disclose the Kamloops store’s prices before opening day.

Heidi Groover: hgroover@seattletimes.com.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

Well TBH, an ounce of good weed will last a person a pretty long time. 

True.  But Maine allows you to buy 2.5 ounces, so why is Canada being so stingy?  We all know that Canadians are some of the biggest potheads on the planet.  Probably why they are so nice. Lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ohio said:

Canadians will also be allowed to grow up to four plants per household. Home grows for recreational use are banned in Washington. 

As I type this, by population, greater than 20% of US citizens can buy recreational weed in their own state...

How many do you think are allowed to have their own... and not buy the government's new industrial product?...

Advise to potheads....save all your legacy seeds before they go all industrialized...

...and get genetically modified,  and chemically sprayed beyond their ability to survive naturally in a toxic environment...as well...

12 minutes ago, Troll said:

As I type this, by population, greater than 20% of US citizens can buy recreational weed in their own state...

How many do you think are allowed to have their own... and not buy the government's new industrial product?...

Advise to potheads....save all your legacy seeds before they go all industrialized...

...and get genetically modified,  and chemically sprayed beyond their ability to survive naturally in a toxic environment...as well...

Let me guess.  You have a few ceramic containers of Acapulco Gold growing in your basement.  Might be a good investment when your state legalizes it.

8 minutes ago, ohio said:

Let me guess.  You have a few ceramic containers of Acapulco gold growing in your basement.  Might be a good investment when your state legalizes it.

I live in the garden, and there are plenty of natural farmers around here, so there is no need for me to grow it in my basement...

I do recognize the difference between the industrialized version and the garden flower......do you?

This difference is set to become the next chasm....you think the scientists are not chomping at the bit, to be able to cash in, by increasing the industrial yield??? 🤔

BTW: next time you travel overseas (say to like Iran or somewhere LOL, not Marlboro countries) try buying a pack of real cigarettes...you know, the kind with 100% actual natural tobacco...tell me if you notice any difference...Real tobacco cigarettes do not even exist in the US that I know of....

15 minutes ago, Troll said:

I live in the garden, and there are plenty of natural farmers around here, so there is no need for me to grow it in my basement... You the man

I do recognize the difference between the industrialized version and the garden flower......do you? Lol. In all honesty, I haven't smoked a joint in years.  Though I might want to try it in a brownie when I get a bad case of the munchies.

This difference is set to become the next chasm....you think the scientists are not chomping at the bit, to be able to cash in, by increasing the industrial yield???   Yep.

BTW: next time you travel overseas (say to like Iran or somewhere LOL, not Marlboro countries) try buying a pack of real cigarettes...you know, the kind with 100% actual natural tobacco...tell me if you notice any difference...Real tobacco cigarettes do not even exist in the US that I know of.... Don't smoke, but you are right.  Overpriced garbage is sold here and its causing all kinds of cancers, that wouldn't normally occur with the real stuff.

• Thanks 1

A scheduled Class 1 drug?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Straight from the DEA website:

Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote  Peyote?  LOL.  I can think of MANY more that should be on this list before peyote.  Ugh the govment never has a clue.