Ohio Playoffs Round 3 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

21 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I don't know, not sure Bittner would've given them much better shot. Like I said in the pregame write up, quick mobile QB's that can extend drives have fared the best against Colerain. Colerain kept bringing pressure all night, had 5 sacks, and probably a few more that won't go down as sacks in the stats. Most of the passes Luebbe completed were because Luebbe was able to extend some plays. Would've hated to see what would've happened to a slower Bittner dropping back

The Elder defense actually played very good in the first half. They adopted some sort of variant of X's 335 stack and stacked the box. The big key for Colerain was when they started opening the passing game. DSM went 5 for 5 passing for 110 and a TD and hit 3 big passes downfield

Bittner may be slower than Luebbe, but he's not slow. He also gets rid of, and distrubtes the ball better, than Luebbe. Their chances were not great with either guy if Colerain showed up to play (which it did), but I still say they are much better off with Bittner. 

• Like 1

Ivan Pace Jr. completely dominated again on offense and defense. Coach Bolden said he's the best overall player in the state, and I agree, I haven't seen another player that is a better overall player. He had 7 tackles and a sack on Defense, and over 200 yds rushing and 2 TDs on offense. Not to mention his excellent special teams coverage. Saw this tweet...

17 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Ivan Pace Jr. completely dominated again on offense and defense. Coach Bolden said he's the best overall player in the state, and I agree, I haven't seen another player that is a better overall player. He had 7 tackles and a sack on Defense, and over 200 yds rushing and 2 TDs on offense. Not to mention his excellent special teams coverage. Saw this tweet...

Like Elders Helmets.  #oldschool

47 minutes ago, ohio said:

Colerain vs PC will be an interesting semifinal rematch.  Last year Colerain gave up 35 points in the second half.  This year PCs offense does not look as potent as last years, and Colerain's defense looks stout and fast.   If I had to pick, I say Colerain by 10.

Yes, and also remember that last year the 5 Colerain turnovers played an enormous part in the game. 4 of the turnovers gave Pick Central the ball in or near the redzone, and one of them was late desperation and basically a pick 6 (out of bounds around the 1) 

Straight up Offenses vs defenses was pretty even. Maybe even leaned towards Colerain.

Ohio guys.   Pretty simple picks in D1 and D2 IMO.

D1 finals will be Colerain vs. Lakewood St Ed's........   Winner:  Colerain

D2 finals will be Winton Woods vs Hoban.................   Winner:  Hoban

No surprises last weekend.  St Ed's was an easy pick (playing very well right now).  Mentor had great season.

Nobody is going to beat Colerain in D1.....  they are on a mission people (playing with tremendous confidence...)  

Yes, Winton Woods will beat Massillon  in Semi's.

Colerain has only been pushed once this year.... 14-12 win over StX.... 2nd game of the season.  I believe next closest game was 26 points? (could be wrong-no time to look up).  

1 hour ago, prepsbill65 said:

I believe next closest game was 26 points? (could be wrong-no time to look up). 

Close.  Week 1 vs. LaSalle was 23 points.

But your point is well proven.  After they got their proverbial feet under them in week 3 of the season, their avg. margin of victory has been 37 points and their lowest margin was 26 against St. X the second time round....in the PLAYOFFS!

Some think Pickerington Central will hold Colerain to under 20 this week.  We'll see how that goes.....

-93CardinalsFan

15 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Close.  Week 1 vs. LaSalle was 23 points.

But your point is well proven.  After they got their proverbial feet under them in week 3 of the season, their avg. margin of victory has been 37 points and their lowest margin was 26 against St. X the second time round....in the PLAYOFFS!

Some think Pickerington Central will hold Colerain to under 20 this week.  We'll see how that goes.....

-93CardinalsFan

Being the X fan I am, I have seen a lot of Cardinal football (not nearly as much as the Cards' faithful I am sure)...but this team has a different feeling to me.  It probably comes from Coach Bolden and the rest of the coaches, but they have a sense of urgency, and a lot of confidence.  Does anyone else get that feeling???? It is not like the recent past; reminds me of the 2004 Colerain State Championship team that was so dominate.  Just an opinion.

3 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Being the X fan I am, I have seen a lot of Cardinal football (not nearly as much as the Cards' faithful I am sure)...but this team has a different feeling to me.  It probably comes from Coach Bolden and the rest of the coaches, but they have a sense of urgency, and a lot of confidence.  Does anyone else get that feeling???? It is not like the recent past; reminds me of the 2004 Colerain State Championship team that was so dominate.  Just an opinion.

You are spot on.  There IS a different feeling about this team.  And while the coaches are part of that, it really comes from the players.  There are so many seniors on this team that have played SO MUCH football over the past three seasons (3rd regional championship in the past 4 years) that they have the confidence and belief in themselves and what they are doing.

IF Colerain can pull this off, the aftermath will be interesting.  Don't want to compare to 2004 but the stats may say otherwise.  The running clock rule didn't exist back in 2004 but if it had, Colerain would have running clocked 14 of 15 opponents, including 4 in the playoffs.  Tough to compete with that....

...although this 2018 team is certainly giving them a run for their money! 

-93CardinalsFan

I was surprised by by that as well.  But have a feeling that their title hunt will come to an abrupt end by Hoban.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, OdbCle said:

Biggest shocker of the night was Avon over TCC, putting up 30 first half points against a defense that hadn't given up that many points combined in their past 7 games. Despite a second half comeback from the Irish, they held on for the win. I was ready to call a potential Hoban-TCC game the defacto championship. Huge win for the Avon program. Their prize, a matchup with Hoban.  The WW-Massillon game on the other side of the bracket should be a great one.