Ohio Playoffs Round 3 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Mentor (11-1) vs. St. Edward (8-3) - Mentor 30 Ed's 27

Mentor handled McKinley last week 36-6. 

St. Edward was in a back and forth game with Euclid, but ended up pulling ahead for the win 56-35.

This is a rematch from week 1 that Mentor won 42-39. A missed XP cost Ed's big in that game.....In this matchup, Mentor will have the advantage on the Lines, and probably the best Lines in the state. They have a stud in sophomore QB Kipp, a nice RB in Trobel, and a good WR in Floriea. Mentor's secondary is where they are vulnerable. Ed's also has great lineplay, and a great QB in Dzuro, a nice RB in Castleberry, and some nice WR's in Kent and Hightower.........In the first game Mentor QB Kipp ran wild on Eds. Ed's defense hasn't really seemed to improve by leaps and bounds, so I think it will be up to the offenses to win this for each team. I think this is a complete toss up. I like Mentor ever so slightly

Dublin Coffman (11-1) vs. Olentangy Liberty (8-4) - Coffman 28 Liberty 21

Coffman handled Whitmer 43-20. 

Liberty knocked off Reynoldsburg 10-0.

Coffman has definitely had the better season and are playing very good football right now. Their only slip up so far has been against HD in a game where turnovers and mistakes made a close game look lopsided. Liberty is the 2x defending Region 2 champ and it seems like their playoff experience is certainly helping them out. I think Coffman should win this one, but Liberty's experience may help them get the win. 

Hilliard Davidson (11-1) vs. Pickerington Central (10-2) - Pick Central 21 HD 17

HD beat Springfield 17-14 in a very close game. Some HD turnovers hurt them and gave Springfield good field position. HD recieved the ball after halftime and held the ball for 10 mins before kicking a FG! Springfield had an opportunity to tie it up in the final minutes, but an unsportsmanlike penalty knocked them out of FG range, and their game tying FG fell short.

Pick Central beat Northmont 33-7. Pick Central had 3 pick 6's and a Safety.

This is another rematch from week 5 that saw Pick Central beat HD on a FG in OT to win 17-14 after HD fumbled on their OT possession. With only  ~ 2 mins In regulation, leading 14-7, HD sent a high snap over their punter's head giving Pick Central excellent field position for the tying score. Earlier in this game, HD again held the ball for the first 10 mins of the 2nd half........I'm concerned that Pick Central has only found the endzone twice in the last 2 weeks, and their offense has sputtered quite a bit. On the otherside, Pick Central is a team that has feasted on turnovers and special teams for scores.......HD will look to grind away at 3-4 yds per carry up and down the field and hopefully play good defense. Word is that HD's best RB and LB are both out. That's not a good look for HD.

Colerain (12-0) vs. Elder (8-4) - Colerain 30 Elder 17

Colerain completely dominated Milford, 48-14, and had 3 pick 6's  and a huge lead early in the 2nd quarter. 

Elder lost their QB Bittner early in their game against Lakota East. Elder brought in WR Luebbe to take snaps and he led Elder to a 34-6  victory.

This is a game that Colerain should win....but Elder's Coach Ramsey is very creative with finding an offense that works. Also Elder historically has been able to cause Colerain turnovers and flip field position. Elder's backup QB Luebbe is much more of a runner than a passer. I'm not sure if this will benefit Elder or not, as Colerain has been very hard to pass on all year, and historically mobile QB's that can extend plays and get out of the pocket have given Colerain's aggressive defense problems.....Elder is very solid on the lines, but lack in the secondary, especially when it comes to speed. Speedy teams really give Elder trouble, and Colerain is loaded with speed. Elder will have to play very disicplined defense to have a shot. 

• Thanks 2

Can't argue with any of those picks coletrain.  Seems that Mentor is playing at a high level right now and as good as anyone in the state.  Wonder if a solid double-digit beating of St. Edward would wake up some national pollsters as to exactly how good this Mentor team is.

Coffman should beat liberty.  Either way, R2 is playing for their final win of the season tomorrow night as neither of those teams have practically any shot against the R1 winner.

R3 would have been a lot better game if it wasn't announced yesterday that Davidson was going to be without their leading tackler on defense and leading rusher on offense.  As I stated on the other site, I really have no idea how HD can overcome that to beat a seasoned PC team.  We will find out a lot about the Tigers if they can find a way to get their offense going in this one and put 3 or more TD's on the board.  Possessions will be limited so they will have to make the most out of their time with the football.

And the grand-daddy of them all....Colerain vs. Elder.  Cardinals vs. Panthers.  GMC vs. GCL.  Red vs. Purple...for all the R4 marbles.  The streak of running clocks for the Cardinals end this week as Elder's defense is better at the point of attack than maybe anyone they've faced since Princeton.  DL Spencer Bono (Boston College) is a load to handle and can cause havoc if allowed to disrupt the plays before they get a chance to get started.  And look, QB Deante Smith-Moore has had fumble problems at the mesh point all season, there is no hiding that.  Against Elder, that cannot happen.  Momentum will be HUGE in this game as the Elder faithful will feed off of that and the underdog status they will wear tomorrow night.  Defensively, you are correct in saying that Luebbe is EXACTLY the kind of QB that gives Colerain defenses fits because of his ability to extend plays.  I can see a ton of QB draws and/or scrambles on 3rd downs extending drives and frustrating the defense.  If that happens, it puts more pressure on the offense to play perfect and score on most every drive...which I think they will be close to doing once the playmakers hit the Elder secondary.  In the end, I'm thinking 35-21 type game with the Cardinals moving on to exact revenge against the Tigers of Pickerington Central.

-93CardinalsFan

9 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

St. Edward was in a back and forth game with Euclid, but ended up pulling ahead for the win 56-35.

This is a rematch from week 1 that Mentor won 42-39. A missed XP cost Ed's big in that game.....In this matchup, Mentor will have the advantage on the Lines, and probably the best Lines in the state. They have a stud in sophomore QB Kipp, a nice RB in Trobel, and a good WR in Floriea. Mentor's secondary is where they are vulnerable. Ed's also has great lineplay, and a great QB in Dzuro, a nice RB in Castleberry, and some nice WR's in Kent and Hightower.........In the first game Mentor QB Kipp ran wild on Eds. Ed's defense hasn't really seemed to improve by leaps and bounds, so I think it will be up to the offenses to win this for each team. I think this is a complete toss up. I like Mentor ever so slightly

Coffman has definitely had the better season and are playing very good football right now. Their only slip up so far has been against HD in a game where turnovers and mistakes made a close game look lopsided. Liberty is the 2x defending Region 2 champ and it seems like their playoff experience is certainly helping them out. I think Coffman should win this one, but Liberty's experience may help them get the win. 

Hilliard Davidson (11-1) vs. Pickerington Central (10-2) - Pick Central 21 HD 17

HD beat Springfield 17-14 in a very close game. Some HD turnovers hurt them and gave Springfield good field position. HD recieved the ball after halftime and held the ball for 10 mins before kicking a FG! Springfield had an opportunity to tie it up in the final minutes, but an unsportsmanlike penalty knocked them out of FG range, and their game tying FG fell short.

This is another rematch from week 5 that saw Pick Central beat HD on a FG in OT to win 17-14 after HD fumbled on their OT possession. With only  ~ 2 mins In regulation, leading 14-7, HD sent a high snap over their punter's head giving Pick Central excellent field position for the tying score. Earlier in this game, HD again held the ball for the first 10 mins of the 2nd half........I'm concerned that Pick Central has only found the endzone twice in the last 2 weeks, and their offense has sputtered quite a bit. On the otherside, Pick Central is a team that has feasted on turnovers and special teams for scores.......HD will look to grind away at 3-4 yds per carry up and down the field and hopefully play good defense. Word is that HD's best RB and LB are both out. That's not a good look for HD.

Colerain completely dominated Milford, 48-14, and had 3 pick 6's  and a huge lead early in the 2nd quarter. 

Elder lost their QB Bittner early in their game against Lakota East. Elder brought in WR Luebbe to take snaps and he led Elder to a 34-6  victory.

This is a game that Colerain should win....but Elder's Coach Ramsey is very creative with finding an offense that works. Also Elder historically has been able to cause Colerain turnovers and flip field position. Elder's backup QB Luebbe is much more of a runner than a passer. I'm not sure if this will benefit Elder or not, as Colerain has been very hard to pass on all year, and historically mobile QB's that can extend plays and get out of the pocket have given Colerain's aggressive defense problems.....Elder is very solid on the lines, but lack in the secondary, especially when it comes to speed. Speedy teams really give Elder trouble, and Colerain is loaded with speed. Elder will have to play very disicplined defense to have a shot. 

Man I was bad all the way around last week.  Northmont basically handed Pickerington Central the game with mistake after mistake.  The moment was too big for Northmont.  Hilliard Davidson did what they do against Springfield.  Killed that clock like you said and got points.  You have to match them after they have those long drives.  If you don't score after they score on you, they will eat the clock once again and then the real pressure is on you which forces mistakes.  I got Hilliard Davidson by at least 10 this week.  Davidson will not give Central the ball like Northmont did and Central's offense has been bad. The only way I see Central advancing is if Crenshaw carries the ball 25 to 30 times.

I'm not even going to try and pick a winner between Mentor and St. Edward.  

I like Colerain by 10 over Elder. 

• Like 1

Ed's must find a way to keep Kipp in the pocket.  Can he beat you with his arm, sure. But if I'm Ed's, I'd rather have him throwing into a secondary full of playmakers than running wild for easy gains on the ground. Trobel is supposedly a little banged up, but their other running back Spansel has been solid as well. I don't think Ed's will get much pressure from the ends against those Mentor tackles (although Pietrowski's move back to DE will give them a different look than what they saw in week 1), so they will have to bring the heat right down center street. Ed's front four should be focused on just tying up the Mentor o-line to let their LB's run clean. 

Ed's offense had a reawakening last week after what seemed like a month of vanilla calls. Kent and Wainwright will win one-on-one match-ups against Mentor's secondary. Dzuro just needs time to throw. Potter has largely held in check in week one, but has turned up his motor as the season has gone on. I would absolutely give TE help to whichever tackle he's lined up against. Castleberry showed what he can do in the open field against Euclid, and Ed's should get him the ball more coming out the backfield. Formani has been a nice change of pace back that will wear on defenses with his bulldozer style. 

As of right now, I think we may actually get a dry Friday for once.  Turnovers have played huge roles down the stretch for Ed's (in a  losing effort to Ignatius in week 10, and then winning efforts in weeks 11 and 12).  Can't become reliant on winning the turnover battle every week to sneak by. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Nice write up as always.  I'm thinking that Eds is on a roll and might beat Mentor.  Also, don't be surprised if HD upsets PC.  Pickerington Central was lucky they got the turnovers against Northmont, but I doubt if HD will make those types of mistakes.

10 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Man I was bad all the way around last week.  Northmont basically handed Pickerington Central the game with mistake after mistake.  The moment was too big for Northmont.  Hilliard Davidson did what they do against Springfield.  Killed that clock like you said and got points.  You have to match them after they have those long drives.  If you don't score after they score on you, they will eat the clock once again and then the real pressure is on you which forces mistakes.  I got Hilliard Davidson by at least 10 this week.  Davidson will not give Central the ball like Northmont did and Central's offense has been bad. The only way I see Central advancing is if Crenshaw carries the ball 25 to 30 times.

I'm not even going to try and pick a winner between Mentor and St. Edward.  

I like Colerain by 10 over Elder. 

Agree with you on HD vs PC.

When was the last time that Elder played Colerain?  Cause if they haven't played in a while, it will be very unlikely that they slow down the Cardinals option, esp. now that they have a good QB.

11 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Can't argue with any of those picks coletrain.  Seems that Mentor is playing at a high level right now and as good as anyone in the state.  Wonder if a solid double-digit beating of St. Edward would wake up some national pollsters as to exactly how good this Mentor team is.

Coffman should beat liberty.  Either way, R2 is playing for their final win of the season tomorrow night as neither of those teams have practically any shot against the R1 winner.

R3 would have been a lot better game if it wasn't announced yesterday that Davidson was going to be without their leading tackler on defense and leading rusher on offense.  As I stated on the other site, I really have no idea how HD can overcome that to beat a seasoned PC team.  We will find out a lot about the Tigers if they can find a way to get their offense going in this one and put 3 or more TD's on the board.  Possessions will be limited so they will have to make the most out of their time with the football.

And the grand-daddy of them all....Colerain vs. Elder.  Cardinals vs. Panthers.  GMC vs. GCL.  Red vs. Purple...for all the R4 marbles.  The streak of running clocks for the Cardinals end this week as Elder's defense is better at the point of attack than maybe anyone they've faced since Princeton.  DL Spencer Bono (Boston College) is a load to handle and can cause havoc if allowed to disrupt the plays before they get a chance to get started.  And look, QB Deante Smith-Moore has had fumble problems at the mesh point all season, there is no hiding that.  Against Elder, that cannot happen.  Momentum will be HUGE in this game as the Elder faithful will feed off of that and the underdog status they will wear tomorrow night.  Defensively, you are correct in saying that Luebbe is EXACTLY the kind of QB that gives Colerain defenses fits because of his ability to extend plays.  I can see a ton of QB draws and/or scrambles on 3rd downs extending drives and frustrating the defense.  If that happens, it puts more pressure on the offense to play perfect and score on most every drive...which I think they will be close to doing once the playmakers hit the Elder secondary.  In the end, I'm thinking 35-21 type game with the Cardinals moving on to exact revenge against the Tigers of Pickerington Central.

-93CardinalsFan

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Was gonna cover some of that, but was too tired when I posted. I think this matchup comes down to the Colerain OLine vs the Elder DLine. Elder is big on both lines and Bono can blow plays up. Conversely, Colerain's weakest spot , if you had to pick, would be the OLine. DSM has had a little trouble at the mesh this year, and if Elder can blow plays up at the line, they can negate Colerains speed advantage......wouldnt be surprised to see Colerain put Eric Phillips on the OLine to try to deal with Bono. Would be very nice to have Rusty Feth right now. Amazing to think Colerain has done everything this year without their biggest and best D1 OLineman

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ohio said:

Nice write up as always.  I'm thinking that Eds is on a roll and might beat Mentor.  Also, don't be surprised if HD upsets PC.  Pickerington Central was lucky they got the turnovers against Northmont, but I doubt if HD will make those types of mistakes.

I dont think there will be an upset either way in HD vs PC. Think it's a toss up. Initially I was definitely leaning toward HD. Now with HDs injuries, I think it will be a much harder task.

1 hour ago, ohio said:

Agree with you on HD vs PC.

When was the last time that Elder played Colerain?  Cause if they haven't played in a while, it will be very unlikely that they slow down the Cardinals option, esp. now that they have a good QB.

Elder and Colerain last played in 2015 3rd round of the playoffs. Colerain running clocked Elder winning something like 42-14. Colerain has never really had trouble moving the ball on Elder......Elder folks say this is their best defense in awhile tho. Elder has always made a living on turnovers and field position against Colerain. Certainly good offenses too, but Elder has never overwhelmed Colerain with offense alone.

Colerains toughest opponent will be themselves and getting over the history of choking in the playoffs. 

30 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Will never forget the great game he played at SJR. 

The game was not streamed .... I only followed the game thread. 

Not sure if there was truth to this story but I think he talked a lot of shit to sjr players the night before the game on some social media platform .... but he did reach out to the same players telling them they played good game after the loss. I like that,  no problem with some shit talk if you could back it up like that kid did.  Sjr’s Best oos win imo. Those Ed’s teams BC and sjr went 2-2 against were legit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Ed’s 24 Mentor 14 final 😀😀😀

Great game plan and execution from Ed's, especially on defense. Set the edge, and forced Kipp to step up and make plays in the pocket. Pietrowski in particular had a great game against OSU-bound Jacoby. Continually pushed him back and collapsed the pocket. Both he and Samac were not able to get downfield and get their hands on linebackers like the first time around.  My only gripe is the continued use of Kent at corner.  Guys were getting loose on him, and if not for a few poorly thrown balls and drops, Mentor would have hit on some big plays downfield. Have to work on the middle of field in pass defense. Linebackers are not getting proper depth, and there seemed to be confusion on assignments amongst the safeties and corners when guys would run crossing routes. Mentor hit the seams all game long. Overall though, Mentor only scored off a short field following the Potter punt block and when Ed's went into a prevent defense up 17 points in the 4th.    

On offense Dzuro and Castleberry put in workman like efforts, making the first man miss and finding the cutbacks lanes for steady yards on the ground. Potter was getting into the backfield with regularity, and I thought Lombardo called some great screen passes to take advantage of his aggressiveness. The one to Wainwright for a TD was perfectly executed. 

• Like 2

Biggest shocker of the night was Avon over TCC, putting up 30 first half points against a defense that hadn't given up that many points combined in their past 7 games. Despite a second half comeback from the Irish, they held on for the win. I was ready to call a potential Hoban-TCC game the defacto championship. Huge win for the Avon program. Their prize, a matchup with Hoban.  The WW-Massillon game on the other side of the bracket should be a great one. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Great game plan and execution from Ed's, especially on defense. Set the edge, and forced Kipp to step up and make plays in the pocket. Pietrowski in particular had a great game against OSU-bound Jacoby. Continually pushed him back and collapsed the pocket. Both he and Samac were not able to get downfield and get their hands on linebackers like the first time around.  My only gripe is the continued use of Kent at corner.  Guys were getting loose on him, and if not for a few poorly thrown balls and drops, Mentor would have hit on some big plays downfield. Have to work on the middle of field in pass defense. Linebackers are not getting proper depth, and there seemed to be confusion on assignments amongst the safeties and corners when guys would run crossing routes. Mentor hit the seams all game long. Overall though, Mentor only scored off a short field following the Potter punt block and when Ed's went into a prevent defense up 17 points in the 4th.    

On offense Dzuro and Castleberry put in workman like efforts, making the first man miss and finding the cutbacks lanes for steady yards on the ground. Potter was getting into the backfield with regularity, and I thought Lombardo called some great screen passes to take advantage of his aggressiveness. The one to Wainwright for a TD was perfectly executed. 

Agreed, great game plan executed.

The first game Ed's gave up over 300 yards rushing. This game 65 yards. One big reason is that Soph linebacker CJ Hankins was the spy on Kipp. It worked to almost perfection. Everyone talks about their Soph QB but what about Ed's LB? He has bright future.

I do not like Kent playing corner either since he lacks some technique which could be causing some D back confusion. Ed's scheme was to shut down the run and make Kipp throw it and Ed's played well enough to prevail. Actually if not for the unsportsmanlike penalty and time running out Ed's could have scored twice more. They totally dominated Mentor and controlled both LOS . 

They are improving but need to improve more and clean some things up. I do not think we have seen their best played game yet.

Game 1 rushing Mentor 365 Ed's 81

Game 2 rushing Mentor 65 Ed's 259

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Agreed, great game plan executed.

The first game Ed's gave up over 300 yards rushing. This game 65 yards. One big reason is that Soph linebacker CJ Hankins was the spy on Kipp. It worked to almost perfection. Everyone talks about their Soph QB but what about Ed's LB? He has bright future.

I do not like Kent playing corner either since he lacks some technique which could be causing some D back confusion. Ed's scheme was to shut down the run and make Kipp throw it and Ed's played well enough to prevail. Actually if not for the unsportsmanlike penalty and time running out Ed's could have scored twice more. They totally dominated Mentor and controlled both LOS . 

They are improving but need to improve more and clean some things up. I do not think we have seen their best played game yet.

Game 1 rushing Mentor 365 Ed's 81

Game 2 rushing Mentor 65 Ed's 259

Yeah, the little times I checked in on this game last night, St. Edward was dominating.  I was like St. Edward ain't fuking around tonight.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OdbCle said:

No surprise there. Even with Bittner, it was going to take a herculean effort for Elder to pull the upset. Without him the game was over before it started. 

I don't know, not sure Bittner would've given them much better shot. Like I said in the pregame write up, quick mobile QB's that can extend drives have fared the best against Colerain. Colerain kept bringing pressure all night, had 5 sacks, and probably a few more that won't go down as sacks in the stats. Most of the passes Luebbe completed were because Luebbe was able to extend some plays. Would've hated to see what would've happened to a slower Bittner dropping back

The Elder defense actually played very good in the first half. They adopted some sort of variant of X's 335 stack and stacked the box. The big key for Colerain was when they started opening the passing game. DSM went 5 for 5 passing for 110 and a TD and hit 3 big passes downfield