Rivals 2020 top ten

Ararar

9 hours ago, mje44 said:

2016 had 3 non IMG 5stars

2017 had 4 non IMG 5stars

2018 had 7 non IMG 5stars

2019 had 3 (I'm counting Trey & Evan)

3-5 5star players is pretty standard for Texas, Cali, Florida, & Georgia. 

Besides this year, I just simply don't see the trend of Florida players not getting the respect they deserve on rankings sites. At least when looking at 5stars. All I'm saying.

Fair enough.  It just seems to me that since IMG doesn’t have the big stars right now that it reflects in the rankings.  IMG this year has loaded up on a lot of 2021-2022 kids that are solid but have no stars. One example is a CB from Pahokee that is a stud.   I’d be willing to bet he all of a sudden becomes a blue chip while at IMG (even though he should have been one already).   

https://247sports.com/Player/Markevious-Brown-46052018/ 

None of these evaluators wanna go to pahokee they’d rather have them all at a few schools.   It’s sad.

• Like 1

@mje44  Not to beat on a dead horse, but I was checking out some NFL draft stuff and found a random list ranking the top 50 players in this draft.   I decided I'd look up the Fl players and check out what their star rating and national rankings were in high school.    I found it interesting that of the 10 players from Fl on the list only a few were ranked in the top 50 out of HS, while half were outside of the top 250 entirely (Riley Ridley sneaked in at 248 lol).    It's got me wondering how the numbers match up in other states.    

Nick Bosa   DE   Aquinas  5*  (8 national ranking)

Jawaan Taylor  OT  Cocoa     3*   (941)

Marquise Brown WR  South Broward  4*  (13)

Devin Bush  LB  Flanagan    4*    (312)

Jachai Polite  DE  Daytona Beach Mainland    3*   (741)

DeAndre Baker CB  Miami Northwestern  3*   (657)

Riley Ridley  WR   Deerfield Beach  4*   (248)

Brian Burns  DE   American Heritage    4*(46)

Devin Singletary RB  Heritage Delray   3*    (1926

Trayvon Mullen CB   Coconut Creek  4*   (63)

The list is from here, but I'm not dwelling on it, nor do I necessarily agree with it.   Just using it to find the players from FL.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018821/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-20

15 hours ago, 954gator said:

@mje44  Not to beat on a dead horse, but I was checking out some NFL draft stuff and found a random list ranking the top 50 players in this draft.   I decided I'd look up the Fl players and check out what their star rating and national rankings were in high school.    I found it interesting that of the 10 players from Fl on the list only a few were ranked in the top 50 out of HS, while half were outside of the top 250 entirely (Riley Ridley sneaked in at 248 lol).    It's got me wondering how the numbers match up in other states.    

Nick Bosa   DE   Aquinas  5*  (8 national ranking)

Jawaan Taylor  OT  Cocoa     3*   (941)

Marquise Brown WR  South Broward  4*  (13)

Devin Bush  LB  Flanagan    4*    (312)

Jachai Polite  DE  Daytona Beach Mainland    3*   (741)

DeAndre Baker CB  Miami Northwestern  3*   (657)

Riley Ridley  WR   Deerfield Beach  4*   (248)

Brian Burns  DE   American Heritage    4*(46)

Devin Singletary RB  Heritage Delray   3*    (1926

Trayvon Mullen CB   Coconut Creek  4*   (63)

The list is from here, but I'm not dwelling on it, nor do I necessarily agree with it.   Just using it to find the players from FL.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018821/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-20

I certainly think that you have a valid point here. I do find it crazy that a 6ft+ CB like Deandre Baker who committed to Georgia out of blue blood program like MNW could be a 3*.

I haven’t done much research past looking at 5*s players in a few classes, so you very well could be right when it comes to looking at lower level 4*s & 3*s. You definitely know your state more than I do. But given this conversation, I was really only talking about the Blue Chips, because this video was only highlighting the top10 players.

In the 2015 class, Florida had 12 in the top50 players (almost 25%) & in 2016 class Florida had 6 top 50players. From the draft prospects that you listed, it really does look like Rivals did a bad job, but given the stats I just gave, it’s not because they have a bias against Florida. All these recruiting website have to protect their credibility, so I guarantee you they leave bias out the door. No one takes ESPN’s ranking seriously for this reason.

I really do think you need to consider where these prospects went to college though. People love to knock California prospects because of the down Pac 12, but I just don’t think that’s fair. There are 5 head coaches in the SEC making more than the Pac 12’s top hc & only 2 of the top 25 highest earning assistants are from the Pac 12. The South has invested so much more time & resources when it comes to football & it shows in their development (nutrition, life coaches, weightlifting). For example, Robert Woods & JuJu Smith are 2 freakish 5stars that pretty much disappeared at USC, but a couple years later they are top Wr’s in the NFL. I guarantee you that Jonah Williams wouldn’t be a 1st round draft pick if he played at USC or UCLA. I also guarantee you that Jaelan Phillips will be a top 20 draft prospect now that he left UCLA & is at Miami.  

Players are not getting developed on the West Coast & the recruits are taking notice (its also driving me nuts). Elias Ricks to LSU, DJ Ugalailei leaning Clemson, Bru McCoy to Texas. Bookie to Oklahoma. Najee to Bama. Flowe will probably go Texas. I don’t blame these kids either. This decision could cost millions of $$$.

The advantage you guys have down south is more schools with a full commitment to excellence on the field, so I believe that more diamonds in the rough will be found & developed on the South. I think this also speaks to the depth of Florida as a state. I envy football in the South. 

I do agree with IMG & your Markevious Brown comparison though. He will certainly trend up & its sad to see kids get overlooked. In my area, we have a prospect that I believe is the best WR in the state & based on his size, speed, & production should be a 5*. Almost 30tds receiving as a junior & not a single DB in California has been able to stop him at camps (including Mater Dei & Bosco DBs). I feel you there.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/john-humphreys-209057#school-interests

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mje44 said:

I certainly think that you have a valid point here. I do find it crazy that a 6ft+ CB like Deandre Baker who committed to Georgia out of blue blood program like MNW could be a 3*.

I haven’t done much research past looking at 5*s players in a few classes, so you very well could be right when it comes to looking at lower level 4*s & 3*s. You definitely know your state more than I do. But given this conversation, I was really only talking about the Blue Chips, because this video was only highlighting the top10 players.

In the 2015 class, Florida had 12 in the top50 players (almost 25%) & in 2016 class Florida had 6 top 50players. From the draft prospects that you listed, it really does look like Rivals did a bad job, but given the stats I just gave, it’s not because they have a bias against Florida. All these recruiting website have to protect their credibility, so I guarantee you they leave bias out the door. No one takes ESPN’s ranking seriously for this reason.

I really do think you need to consider where these prospects went to college though. People love to knock California prospects because of the down Pac 12, but I just don’t think that’s fair. There are 5 head coaches in the SEC making more than the Pac 12’s top hc & only 2 of the top 25 highest earning assistants are from the Pac 12. The South has invested so much more time & resources when it comes to football & it shows in their development (nutrition, life coaches, weightlifting). For example, Robert Woods & JuJu Smith are 2 freakish 5stars that pretty much disappeared at USC, but a couple years later they are top Wr’s in the NFL. I guarantee you that Jonah Williams wouldn’t be a 1st round draft pick if he played at USC or UCLA. I also guarantee you that Jaelan Phillips will be a top 20 draft prospect now that he left UCLA & is at Miami.  

Players are not getting developed on the West Coast & the recruits are taking notice (its also driving me nuts). Elias Ricks to LSU, DJ Ugalailei leaning Clemson, Bru McCoy to Texas. Bookie to Oklahoma. Najee to Bama. Flowe will probably go Texas. I don’t blame these kids either. This decision could cost millions of $$$.

The advantage you guys have down south is more schools with a full commitment to excellence on the field, so I believe that more diamonds in the rough will be found & developed on the South. I think this also speaks to the depth of Florida as a state. I envy football in the South. 

I do agree with IMG & your Markevious Brown comparison though. He will certainly trend up & its sad to see kids get overlooked. In my area, we have a prospect that I believe is the best WR in the state & based on his size, speed, & production should be a 5*. Almost 30tds receiving as a junior & not a single DB in California has been able to stop him at camps (including Mater Dei & Bosco DBs). I feel you there.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/john-humphreys-209057#school-interests

I would absolutely love that! (bold above) Love the way he plays, balls out and arrives with bad intentions. 

11 minutes ago, mustangman21 said:

I would absolutely love that! (bold above) Love the way he plays, balls out and arrives with bad intentions. 

He is a heat seeking missile. Expect the California to Texas pipeline to keep up as long as SC & UCLA keep sucking.

Cali kids are realizing Austin is just as far away as Washington, & much easier to get to than Oregon, Wash St, or Colorado. Huge for parents.