Relevant/Semi-Relevant MD OOS Games 2017

eaglesinsider

I compile the MD schedules for our board. Here are the relevant MD OOS games I have so far. I'm not including the DC schools as OOS because there are so many crossover games. I'm missing most of the schedules for the good Baltimore-area privates (Saint Frances, McDonogh, etc...) so I'm sure I'll still have a bunch to add. So far it's a pretty light slate compared to the past few years.

8/25- DeMatha at Bishop Gorman (NV)

9/1- Mount Saint Joseph vs. Cardinal O'Hara (PA) (don't know the location for this one)

9/1 or 9/2- LaSalle (PA) at McDonogh

9/8- Bishop Moore (FL) at Archbishop Spalding

9/15- Saint Frances at Don Bosco Prep (NJ)

9/15- Bishop McNamara at Bishop Sullivan (VA)

9/15- Franklin at Smyrna (DE)

9/16- Saint Joseph (Canada) at Mount Saint Joseph

9/22- McDonogh at Malvern Prep (PA)

9/22- Bishop Sullivan (VA) at Good Counsel

9/28- Saint Christopher's (VA) at Landon

9/29- Dunbar at IMG Academy Varsity (FL)

9/29- Urbana at Salesianium (DE)

10/7- Benedictine (VA) at Georgetown Prep

10/14- Melbourne Central Catholic (FL) at Fort Hill

10/27- Salesianium (DE) at Westminster

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

I heard about Spalding vs B Moore but it was just talk at the time

anyone know what Spalding brings.back. 

Lost their great dual-threat QB in Evan Fochtman (going to Navy) but have rising JR QB who transferred from Gilman last summer who was supposed to be the future for them before everything blew up there.

A couple losses on the line and in the LB corps but they seem to still have some good talent waiting in the wings. Rising SR WR Jamari Jones is tiny (5'5 or so) but is as fast as they come and is a dangerous returner.

Kyle Schmitt (HC) is one of the few HS coaches I've met up here with an understanding of the run game that is on par with most college coaches. He played OL and was an OL grad assistant at Maryland and also had a cup of tea in the NFL with the Vikings. They will be very well coached offensively and have a great strength program led by former UMD strength coach Scott Swope.

Spalding is like the anti-Saint Frances. They both came up to the A Conference from relative obscurity (Spalding from the B Conference in 2011, SFA from the C Conference in 2013) but whereas SFA opted to go for the quick build and bring in 40 transfers every year, Spalding built their program up slowly through building lasting relationships with the youth programs, bringing in quality freshmen and developing them over four years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eaglesinsider said:

Lost their great dual-threat QB in Evan Fochtman (going to Navy) but have rising JR QB who transferred from Gilman last summer who was supposed to be the future for them before everything blew up there.

A couple losses on the line and in the LB corps but they seem to still have some good talent waiting in the wings. Rising SR WR Jamari Jones is tiny (5'5 or so) but is as fast as they come and is a dangerous returner.

Kyle Schmitt (HC) is one of the few HS coaches I've met up here with an understanding of the run game that is on par with most college coaches. He played OL and was an OL grad assistant at Maryland and also had a cup of tea in the NFL with the Vikings. They will be very well coached offensively and have a great strength program led by former UMD strength coach Scott Swope.

Spalding is like the anti-Saint Frances. They both came up to the A Conference from relative obscurity (Spalding from the B Conference in 2011, SFA from the C Conference in 2013) but whereas SFA opted to go for the quick build and bring in 40 transfers every year, Spalding built their program up slowly through building lasting relationships with the youth programs, bringing in quality freshmen and developing them over four years.

Thanks. If B Moore doesn't bring a bit back and play their best it's gonna be a long day. Maryland has always been littered with quality teams and tons of athletes. Throw in DC and they are definitely tier 2 under the power states. 

• Like 1

Real interesting OOS game (and ultra rare since it involves a MD public school)

Florida 3A state semifinalist Melbourne Central Catholic will be travelling to play 4x defending MD Class 1A State Champion (56-1 record over the last 4 years) Fort Hill on Saturday, 10/14.

Fort Hill is has the biggest HS stadium in the state and a diehard fan base.

http://forthillfootball.net/

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

I literally was gonna post this. Just got word from a MCC coach. 

http://forthillfootball.net/news.htm

I'd gotten the heads up from FH's schedule guy that this was likely back in late February but he told me to hold off on saying anything because they wanted to make a big announcement, which came today.

What you and a couple of other guys do on the national level, I do for MD and DE on a local/regional level. The MPSSAA (MD public school association) is totally incompetent and (among many other things) doesn't have any real resources to help fill open dates so I've taken that over since I compile the schedules anyway. I work with Fort Hill a lot.

Fort Hill has 4 guaranteed games every year (the other 2 schools in their county, a state youth school + a local WV rival) so they've got 6 openings to fill on a given year. This year they will probably have 6 OOS opponents, MCC + 1 WV and 4 PA teams.

MD has no districts or anything like that so the other 1A/2A schools near Fort Hill avoid them like a plague. It's crazy because they only take the top 4 teams in each region for the playoffs and there is no requirement to play any teams in your region in the regular season at all. You end up with schools actively avoiding the powerhouse schools in their own region to load their schedule up with cupcakes to try to outpoint the powerhouse schools and make the playoffs.

You also end up with some incredibly imbalanced regions. The new 2A West this year has 7 teams that made the playoffs in 2016 (4 2A + 3 3A moving down to 2A in reclassification) plus one who went 8-2 and missed the playoffs. Meanwhile the 1A South has 7 total teams and 3-7 has gotten teams into the playoffs the last 2 years.

The MD point system also rewards playing mediocre big schools over good small schools and gives 0 points for a loss, even to the #1 team in the country. You get 5 points for beating a 1A, 6 for 2A, 7 for 3A and 8 for 4A plus 1 point for each win a team has.

This also kills some of the private schools when they look for local games because they are classified by enrollment too. Not many publics (except Franklin) lining up to play a regional power like McDonogh when you only get 1A points for beating them and none if you lose to them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Wow that's a whole lotta screwed up there. Lol. 

Are there any MD teams still looking for games right now? 

A ton, but not really any that would be in a good position to play anyone more than a couple hours away. By my count 42 schools need 53 games between them.

Here's the likely candidates to take an OOS game:

Loyola-Blakefield (MIAA A) needs 10/27 and 11/3

Concordia Prep (MIAA C) needs 10/27

Bishop McNamara (WCAC) needs 2 games between 8/25, 9/1 and 9/22

Maryland Christian (Home School) needs 10/13

Hancock (1A) needs 10/27

Maryland School for the Deaf (Ind.) needs 9/22 and 11/3

Saint James (MAC) needs 9/22

Loyola and McNamara would take on some decent teams. The rest are bottom half of the nation type teams and are looking to play similar opponents.