California to vote to approve athletically motivated transfer

Ararar

Come Friday in Ontario, the CIF state Federated Council will take a vote on a much debated rule revision that supporters say will make the CIF "less uneven" in how it enforces its transfer rules.

If approved, a change in wording will take away power that section commissioners have used to deny eligibility to students who transferred for athletically motivated reasons. When a student transfers and a parent openly admits it's for athletic reasons, transfer eligibility is denied. If a student transfers and everyone keeps their mouth shut, it's approved.

Marvin Bagley III of Sierra Canyon was denied eligibility last season after information came forward from a newspaper article that had his father commenting about wanting to win a national championship. If this revision is approved, parents can leave a school for any reason, whether it's because they don't like a coach or a football team doesn't pass enough and they can be honest about it.

"This has been heavily debated for 18 months to two years," Executive Director Roger Blake said Monday during a meeting of the City Section Board of Managers.

It's not a unanimous slam dunk for approval. Three Northern California commissioners opposed the proposal. The City Section voted Monday to support revising the rule. Southern Section representatives are set to vote their recommendation on Wednesday at a Council meeting.

"Those who know how to play the game are getting eligible and others not," Blake said.

It will still be illegal for students to follow a coach to another school and it will be illegal to recruit players under the proposal.

I hope it fails, although I'd admit that it would level the playing field specifically between NorCal (where transfers are highly scrutinized and discouraged) and SoCal (which really embraced open borders starting about 2013)

i think the compliance (or lack of) in SoCal helps them have 3 super teams, but at a cost that I believe is not worth the value because it impairs the hsfb experience for more than it helps (JMHO)

parochially, I really don't see this affecting DLS much one way or the other -- they generally lose more transfers than they get and it's very rare for them to consider transfers after they've become sophomores (DLS just feels that their experience is best received over 4 years, not 3, and certainly not 1 or 2)