Ohio Week 9 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Here's my top 10

Mentor - impressive shutout of a good offensive team suggests Mentors D may not be getting enough credit

St Edward - Probably the most complete team across the board

Hoban 

Elder - Great offense. What happens when they play team with great defense and speed on offense?

Massillon

Fairfield - very good on both sides of the ball.  Huge game against Colerain this week.  

St X - solid passing game and run Defense. Weak run game and secondary could be detrimental.

Colerain - Great Defense. D line very strong.  Offense has been an experiment all season with different players in the backfield. Finally starting to look solid.  Fairfield D may bring Cards back to reality.  

St Ignatius - Very inconsistent. Tough schedule.  Season over.  

Pick Central  - looking like they are ready for a playoff run.  Groveport is a good team,  but it seems likely that Pick Central wasn't prepared, or didn't take them as seriously as they should have, because of how lowly Groveport has been recently.  

Others: Springfield,  WW,  La Salle, Groveport Madison, Olentangy Liberty, Olentangy Orange, TCC, Avon

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Based on the rankings above, I guess Elder and FF are the faves this week? 

I would for sure take Elder. 

Colerain/Fairfield is tough. Fairfield looks like the more complete team and most people just looking on paper would probably take Fairfield. That said, Colerain has only lost 1 Conference game(2008) since 1999, and are on an ~80 game conference winning streak. Theres a big mental edge to that. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

I would for sure take Elder. 

Colerain/Fairfield is tough. Fairfield looks like the more complete team and most people just looking on paper would probably take Fairfield. That said, Colerain has only lost 1 Conference game(2008) since 1999, and are on an ~80 game conference winning streak. Theres a big mental edge to that. 

Like you said until someone beats Colerain in the GMC I will not bet against them.

Playoffs perhaps different story. It’s match ups in playoffs not daisy chains.

Fairfield in for a rough road in R4 playoffs 

3 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Like you said until someone beats Colerain in the GMC I will not bet against them.

Fairfield is going to bottle up the Colerain offense and the Colerain defense isn't what is has been.  

10 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Assuming they beat Colerain tomorrow, they'd be the #1 seed, and have Lakota East, Colerain again, followed by X/Elder for the title. I wouldn't go as far as to lay money on them, but it's certainly doable.

51 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Assuming they beat Colerain tomorrow, they'd be the #1 seed, and have Lakota East, Colerain again, followed by X/Elder for the title. I wouldn't go as far as to lay money on them, but it's certainly doable.

I only like Elder in a playoff match up with them, because Elder is going to score.  I don't like Elder having to defend the Fiarfield athletes in space and if McClain got any space he's going to the house against Elder.

8 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Fairfield is going to bottle up the Colerain offense and the Colerain defense isn't what is has been.  

Very possible, maybe even probable that Fairfield shuts down Colerain' s offense. 

But the defense comment is simply false. Colerain's Defensive front is probably their best since 2007. Their LB's are a typical group of very good LB's. The secondary is young, but are still better than the majority of teams DB's.

With the offense struggling so much this year, the defense has had to do twice as much as a normal Colerain Defense, and they have done a pretty stellar job.  

8 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Very possible, maybe even probable that Fairfield shuts down Colerain' s offense. 

But the defense comment is simply false. Colerain's Defensive front is probably their best since 2007. Their LB's are a typical group of very good LB's. The secondary is young, but are still better than the majority of teams DB's.

With the offense struggling so much this year, the defense has had to do twice as much as a normal Colerain Defense, and they have done a pretty stellar job.  

Colerain is not lights out on defense like they have been.  Watching them, they would be in some serious trouble against certain teams.  I'm not simply looking at the numbers because neither them or Fairfield see's a dynamic offense from the GMC schools.  I'm sorry but you can not allow Mason to throw the ball on you like they were able to.  Just my opinion doesn't make me right.

36 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Colerain is not lights out on defense like they have been.  Watching them, they would be in some serious trouble against certain teams.  I'm not simply looking at the numbers because neither them or Fairfield see's a dynamic offense from the GMC schools.  I'm sorry but you can not allow Mason to throw the ball on you like they were able to.  Just my opinion doesn't make me right.

Their defense is every bit as good as their past defenses. Teams have gashed Colerain defenses in the past here and there. The past 5-7 years it's been on the Ground, because Colerain was very good in the secondary, and weaker on the DLine......This year they are very good on the DLine and weaker in the secondary, so teams are mainly going to the air against them this year.

Against Mason, Colerain was without their 2 best LB's, Mike Bess and Elijah Ford, and DB Devontae Kiner. Also FB MJ Flowers was out, so DB Deshawn Pace and LB Jaylen Thomas played full time offense too. Not an optimal situation, but injuries are part of it. It was only one WR who was giving Colerain trouble because of his size, 6'6 Jack Cooper. 

• Like 1