100+ years

Reb72

Louisiana's 2 oldest rivalries will play this week, each have 100+ years of playing each other.  In small ball it's Haynesville vs Homer meeting with the district Championship on the line between these 2  north Louisiana schools that are 13 miles apart.  In the larger class it's Holy Cross vs Jesuit down south in New Orleans.  Kinda what high school football is all about...

haynesvillevshomer1924.jpg

hcjesuit.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Reb72 said:

Louisiana's 2 oldest rivalries will play this week, each have 100+ years of playing each other.  In small ball it's Haynesville vs Homer meeting with the district Championship on the line between these 2  north Louisiana schools that are 13 miles apart.  In the larger class it's Holy Cross vs Jesuit down south in New Orleans.  Kinda what high school football is all about...

hcjesuit.jpg

Another photo from last week's Jesuit/ Holy Cross game. 👇

Same stadium as the 1940 game....

Back in the day all Catholic League games had huge crowds....15,000-20,000 most of the time.

Not so much today (still have nice crowds though)

There wasn't any internet back in the day and not much TV coverage. 

Screenshot_20231103-074513-238.png

13 hours ago, Reb72 said:

hcjesuit.jpg

Ruston @ West Monroe for the District Championship should pack Rebel Stadium tonight.

Rummel plays Jesuit. If we win we can play 1 playoff game at home. Lose and we're on the road.

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Ruston @ West Monroe for the District Championship should pack Rebel Stadium tonight.

Rummel plays Jesuit. If we win we can play 1 playoff game at home. Lose and we're on the road.

Is Rummel ever gonna give Escambia a return game? Remember Escambia went and beat Rummel in New Orleans, then they cancelled the return trip so they can go play some random North Carolina team. Let me know 

14 hours ago, RedZone said:

great game, tied 5 different times but the Bearcats held on, Ruston 35  West Monroe 28

Ruston will have the # 1 seed for the playoffs in Division I Non-Select

rustonwm23.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

great game, tied 5 different times but the Bearcats held on, Ruston 35  West Monroe 28

Ruston will have the # 1 seed for the playoffs in Division I Non-Select

rustonwm23.jpg

Sounds like it was a great game. Nice crowd too. Ruston almost filled up the visitor's side and that's hard to do in Rebel Stadium.

I still think Ruston is the best team in Louisiana this year..... I had them #1 in my Preseason Poll with Destrehan #2.

West Monroe definitely proved they're going to be a tough out in the 5A playoffs though.

• Like 1