With Some Talk Of Winning State Elections To Redraw District Lines(gerrymandering) In Mind

HawgGoneIt

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-pennsylvania/pennsylvania-court-orders-new-congressional-map-due-to-gerrymandering-idUSKBN1FB2N8

The worst part of this entire news story is at the very end... The March special election will go on before the redrawing. Seems to me, if the district lines are unconstitutional, no election should be allowed until the districts are correctly drawn. 

Anyway, the gerrymandering mess needs to be gotten under control either way. 

• Like 1

Not sure how “seeking partisan advantage” is unconstitutional.  The drawing of state district lines is a responsibility of the legislature and inherently involves seeking political advantage.  This sounds like a rogue court deciding because they disagreed with the politics of the line drawers.

5 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Not sure how “seeking partisan advantage” is unconstitutional.  The drawing of state district lines is a responsibility of the legislature and inherently involves seeking political advantage.  This sounds like a rogue court deciding because they disagreed with the politics of the line drawers.

Yeah I'm not totally up to snuff on what makes this unconstitutional either. I do know that some districts in North Carolina were being forced to redraw as well. Something about race there. 

Anyway, in a state where they have a district drawn so screwy that it's being hailed as "Goofy Kicking Donald Duck" I'm sure there's something amiss. xD

I don't think redistricting should involve seeking political advantage, but, I know that it always has and always will. Sometimes these things are getting pretty extreme though, and this is evidently one of those places. 

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

It is meaningless, every gerrymander is political and the SC set no guidelines to say which “illegal” gerrymanders should be allowed and which should not.

So basically, if someone comes forth with a compelling argument against the way a district has been redrawn, it comes down to a decision by the courts with no real guidelines. 

If the gerrymandering in and of itself is "illegal" per that supreme court decision, then it seems like it could be a judgement call in every area in every state as to what is legal or illegaly drawn lines.

May be time to bring forth suits in many states in this case.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

But what if the lines are drawn to separate by race or class? That is how it has been done for years here in Georgia. That is why some states need congressional approval on redrawing district lines. 

The lines in Georgia were often drawn by white Republicans AND black Democrats agreeing - more GOP districts AND more majority minority districts.