This and that from the Moultrie Disturber!

ORabidOne

Coach ProPst said that due to the questionable calls that adversely affected both Colquitt and Peach County in their state championship games! That a Georgia legislator has proposed the utilization of instant replay, to be implemented in the state finals in Mercedes Benz Stadium! 

Coach ProPst has also recommended that both semis and state championship games be played on fake grass! With the semis being played at Georgia State or Mercer! 

On the home front, Colquitt will be losing three assistant coaches before the fall season! Shawn SUTTON will be returning home to be OC at Clay-Chalkville in Pinson, Ala.! Former Packer All Star Bryce Giddens, will end his one year stint as assistant OL coach, and will travel to Auburn, where he will be a Graduate Assistant! Finally, Colquitt's Special Teams coordinator will return to ATL metro for family reasons! And will assume duties as an assistant at Grayson! 

LAST but certainly not least! Colquitt is in talks to replace Grayson in the Spring scrimmage, with the Eagles of Northside Warner Robins! 

8 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

Coach ProPst said that due to the questionable calls that adversely affected both Colquitt and Peach County in their state championship games! That a Georgia legislator has proposed the utilization of instant replay, to be implemented in the state finals in Mercedes Benz Stadium! 

Coach ProPst has also recommended that both semis and state championship games be played on fake grass! With the semis being played at Georgia State or Mercer! 

On the home front, Colquitt will be losing three assistant coaches before the fall season! Shawn Calhoun will be returning home to be OC at Clay-Chalkville in Pinson, Ala.! Former Packer All Star Bryce Giddens, will end his one year stint as assistant OL coach, and will travel to Auburn, where he will be a Graduate Assistant! Finally, Colquitt's Special Teams coordinator will return to ATL metro for family reasons! And will assume duties as an assistant at Grayson! 

LAST but certainly not least! Colquitt is in talks to replace Grayson in the Spring scrimmage, with the Eagles of Northside Warner Robins! 

Rab....I would ask you to READ your post before you actually hit the "submit" button...but I know you wouldn't do it.  Coach Calhoun has been the HC at Carrollton for a few years now.  Just a guess...but could you be thinking of Coach Sutton?

Amigo...you're gonna hafta start doing better.

Rufus>>

MOULTRIE – Rush Propst is seeking three new assistant football coaches at Colquitt County High, including one to replace who he considers to be his right-hand man.

Shawn Sutton, who handled the weight room, the kicking game and running backs, is leaving the Packers’ staff for the second time, this time to become the offensive coordinator at Clay-Chalkville High in Pinson, Ala.

Colquitt County’s former four-year starting center Bryce Giddens, who worked with the varsity tight ends and helped out with the offensive linemen last season, has taken a job as a graduate assistant at Auburn after just one year at his alma mater.

And Jason Nash, who was Colquitt County’s outside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator, is going north to become the defensive coordinator at Grayson High, a school the Packers will play this fall.

Sutton was on the staff from 2011-2013 before leaving to take a job in Alabama in 2014. He returned and coached the Packers the last three years, taking on the additional role of assistant head coach, but will return again to Alabama.

“He is going to be close to family,” Propst said. “His wife is up there and he’s down here. It’s hard for him to leave. I understand that.”

He says he understands, but Propst acknowledges that Sutton will leave  big hole to fill on the staff on several levels. Sutton also was on a Propst staff at Hoover High that led the Bucs to a state championship.

“He’s the best in the business in the weight room,” Propst said. “And he’s a true assistant head coach. That’s what I lose. He knows me inside out. We’ve been very successful together.”

Giddens, who was an All-State center for the Packers before starting two seasons at Arkansas State, left private business to join the Packers’ coaching staff last season.

“He was outstanding,” Propst said of Giddens, son of former Colquitt County offensive line coach and athletic director Kevin Giddens. “I’m proud of him. I want people inspired to do better things. I think coaches need to be dreamers. The downside is that we lose a lot of good coaches.

“Is he a seasoned coach yet? No. But he is going to be as good a coach as he was a player for us.”

Nash is a veteran of 15 years as an assistant coach and caught Propst’s eye when he was the defensive coordinator at South Forsyth, a team the Packers defeated in the 2015 state playoffs. Propst brought him to Moultrie last year and he helped develop All-State linebacker and Tennessee signee JJ Peterson.

But, Propst said, family obligations forced Nash to look for a job in the Atlanta area, and he found one at Grayson.

The Packers and the Rams are scheduled to square off on Sept. 21, in Loganville.

Nash’s departure is a difficult one for the Packers, Propst said, because he is on a 12-month contract and financially will be on the staff through June.

Propst said he is still hoping to fill the slot this spring, which he says is a critical time in preparing a team for the upcoming season.

“February, March and April is the time of year that the team develops chemistry and its identity,” he said. “A lot of things that help us win are done in the off-season. We can’t sacrifice those three months. You can’t wait until after the fourth of July to start getting ready.”

Propst still has not come to grips with the loss to North Gwinnett in the 2017 state championship game. The Packers scored a touchdown on a pass from Steven Krajewski to Josh Hadley and added an extra point by Ryan Fitzgerald with 49 seconds left to take a lead, but were unable to hold it. The Bulldogs drove and scored the winning field goal on an untimed down after time had expired to win 19-17.

In North Gwinnett’s final drive, the Packers were flagged for defensive holding, back-to-back illegal participation violations and pass interference as time expired.

Propst continues to take issue with several of the calls in the game, which was played at North Gwinnett after most of the GHSA’s state championship games were moved from Mercedes-Benz Stadium because of hazardous weather in Atlanta.

“It’s still, to me, the most bizarre two weeks I’ve ever spent in football,” Propst said. “Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.”

Propst contends the Packers’ loss to North Gwinnett and Peach County’s loss to Calhoun, which featured an apparent Peach touchdown being waved off as incomplete, might have had different outcomes had instant replay been in use.

In the aftermath of the Peach County loss, a state representative whose district includes parts of Peach County introduced a bill to the General Assembly that would require instant replay to be used in playoff games.

“I’m for instant replay,” said Propst. “And we’ve got the ability to do that in the finals.”

He is also for having both the state semifinals and championship games played at neutral sites. Currently, the team with the highest seed, or the winner of a coin flip, plays host to semifinal games.

“We need to get off grass and put them on turf,” he said of the semifinal games. “And have them in stadiums that are big enough to host those kinds of games.”

Propst envisions the state semifinals being played at Mercer University’s and Georgia State University’s stadiums with the championship game being played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

NOTES: Propst said that the opponent for this year’s spring game has changed. Grayson will not be coming to Moultrie. Propst is hoping to come to an agreement to play Northside of Warner Robins. The arrangements have not been finalized, he says.

Propst also announced that Peterson underwent surgery recently on his shoulder, which was injured when he played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Peterson suffered a grade three shoulder separation, Propst said.

Receiver Cam Singletary, who caught 79 passes for 1,025 yards and 11 touchdowns last fall, will sign to play at Tennessee Tech.

Long-snapper Noah Hightower will sign to play at Shorter.

Signing ceremonies will be held for both players.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rufus69 said:

Rab....I would ask you to READ your post before you actually hit the "submit" button...but I know you wouldn't do it.  Coach Calhoun has been the HC at Carrollton for a few years now.  Just a guess...but could you be thinking of Coach Sutton?

Amigo...you're gonna hafta start doing better.

Rufus>>

THAT'S what I git fer posting when I first come out of my coffin in the PM! I seem to be getting more and more like the Left Wing whackado media(Washington Post, Nu Yok Times, and C linton N ews N etwork) EVERY day!:$

Jist fer shits and giggles though! Jist so you know, Colquitt plays Lowends TODAY rather than YESTERDAY!:)

54 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

THAT'S what I git fer posting when I first come out of my coffin in the PM! I seem to be getting more and more like the Left Wing whackado media(Washington Post, Nu Yok Times, and C linton N ews N etwork) EVERY day!:$

Jist fer shits and giggles though! Jist so you know, Colquitt plays Lowends TODAY rather than YESTERDAY!:)

Yep...I saw the schedule change.  I think weather had something to do with it.  We need to sweep the Vikings...but I'll take a split.  Do what ya gotta do....

Rufus>>