Usain Bolt practicing with Borussia Dortmund

golfaddict1

12 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Bolt showing some talent.  That’s a world class player feeding Bolt in that header setup at the bottom... very cool.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766145-usain-bolt-scores-brilliant-goal-nutmegs-player-during-dortmund-training

It's too late. Usain was a great athlete and could have played either Cricket or Football (Futbol), had he chosen. But like Michael Jordan and baseball, trying to pursue a soccer dream at this stage is too late. 

47 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It's too late. Usain was a great athlete and could have played either Cricket or Football (Futbol), had he chosen. But like Michael Jordan and baseball, trying to pursue a soccer dream at this stage is too late. 

It's an interesting story though and I'm sure he had so much fun playing with pros and gauging his ability.  Perhaps he will seek further training or perhaps someone from the club will have a heart to heart with him and tell him it's not in his best interest to continue as a goal at the highest level...  I would hope after today he has a better idea of what his next step is.  As a Puma sponsored athlete, he could likely grab a lower level contract with a club in a heartbeat, if not to fill seats and start playing sparingly in already decided games.  If he's successful I'm sure he will be targeted by the top clubs.    

A few interesting thoughts of him as a striker/forward are his height of 6'3" for set pieces and headers and his ability to time and break a D on his speed ability (ala Ronaldo, Bale, etc.).   It's a longshot sure, but I think he could suit up and play for a lower level pro club right away and gain experience with additional training and see how it goes.  

I wish him luck. 

Some cool news about another star coming to the US for the swan song career finish.  The great Zlatan Ibrahimovic has left Manchester United and was signed by the LA Galaxy.   He will fill seats.  He's had some sick goals in his career... this is a classic one here.   

34 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

It's an interesting story though and I'm sure he had so much fun playing with pros and gauging his ability.  Perhaps he will seek further training or perhaps someone from the club will have a heart to heart with him and tell him it's not in his best interest to continue as a goal at the highest level...  I would hope after today he has a better idea of what his next step is.  As a Puma sponsored athlete, he could likely grab a lower level contract with a club in a heartbeat, if not to fill seats and start playing sparingly in already decided games.  If he's successful I'm sure he will be targeted by the top clubs.    

A few interesting thoughts of him as a striker/forward are his height of 6'3" for set pieces and headers and his ability to time and break a D on his speed ability (ala Ronaldo, Bale, etc.).   It's a longshot sure, but I think he could suit up and play for a lower level pro club right away and gain experience with additional training and see how it goes.  

I wish him luck. 

Some cool news about another star coming to the US for the swan song career finish.  The great Zlatan Ibrahimovic has left Manchester United and was signed by the LA Galaxy.   He will fill seats.  He's had some sick goals in his career... this is a classic one here.   

I don't disagree with anything you said and as a fellow Jamaican I would love to see him do well in this sport. But realistically, while I agree he could and probably plays well enough to deserve a pro contract, I can't see him wanting to play at anything other than the highest level. And, I don't think that's going to happen at this stage of his career.

Bolt is physically built like a Dutch striker, whose name eludes me at the moment, that played the game in the 1990s. Very tall forward at just shy of 6" 5". Would always be dangerous on corners and crosses and like you said his open field speed would mean he would also be a breakaway threat, too. 

Regarding Ibrahimovic, great forward and in particular, great goal scorer. If the Galaxy comes to Orlando I would definitely take in that game to see him play.

• Like 1

24F380C0-7F8F-4F56-91FB-58A20C35896C.thumb.jpeg.bf3ec2ca20fbcb151b9b377271372c34.jpeg313470BD-5B64-41A1-8B14-5BDE2A7A4882.thumb.jpeg.000abe93988efddb1a3778f68f0057ad.jpeg1DD4ABE3-70C5-4851-AC6A-5CAB8786F6FB.thumb.jpeg.b39727205b3a0bbd4e9f4a9435e8fd28.jpeg40881657-36D0-4A21-B34B-24C5EC1B8A8C.thumb.jpeg.03c7ac19ff2ca29667b3fccb3744db12.jpeg197D917B-470B-4FF5-BAD6-30BB3724451B.thumb.jpeg.d30b45b8c6cce551a61097f12ccc60c8.jpeg72266EBD-9B01-478D-836C-9D2B00666D89.thumb.jpeg.eb7b02c3d6a34fbdc2f65dbf15a0356f.jpeg18B8FD7A-39E7-461E-9740-CDEC83FE4EC0.thumb.jpeg.1815837adf0e9f9daca619f48dcff16b.jpegI’m watching Spain vs Germany friendly on ESPN 3.  You can also watch it on ESPN deportes at 6 pm (tape delayed).  Italy vs Argentina I have on dvr now.   High level play.  Peru vs Croatia tonight in my area of Miami.   I won’t be attending.  I did get to watch PSG, Real Madrid (minus Ronaldo) and Barcelona (with Messi :)) practice in Miami.  I’ll see if I can find any pics.  I took mostly vids.  PSG I was very close to the field.  Cavani, Neymar, Alves etc.  was cool to see them as well as RM’s Bale, Marcelo, Ramos, etc.  and Barc.  Messi of course was the headliner and very cool to see him play.   As I’m typing this man what a game.  

Espn deportes 6 pm aficionados.  

E7D0D6D7-27EC-4566-ACDB-F82BCA5730D5.MOV

717A04AC-8FFD-4D46-803F-BB53232AFAF4.MOV

PSG vids above.   Messi is in fluorescent jersey above.   Next vids of RM and Barc.  Coming up.  

5DD8B92E-D9CB-4401-95C1-21003287F82B.MOV

EE1ED367-A570-4CDF-8528-333FCE5A0407.MOV

23F4B71E-B9BE-4E31-8DA6-1790346DD0A5.MOV

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

I’m watching Spain vs Germany friendly on ESPN 3.  You can also watch it on ESPN deportes at 6 pm (tape delayed).  Italy vs Argentina I have on dvr now.   High level play.  Peru vs Croatia tonight in my area of Miami.   I won’t be attending.  I did get to watch PSG, Real Madrid (minus Ronaldo) and Barcelona (with Messi :)) practice in Miami.  I’ll see if I can find any pics.  I took mostly vids.  PSG I was very close to the field.  Cavani, Neymar, Alves etc.  was cool to see them as well as RM’s Bale, Marcelo, Ramos, etc.  and Barc.  Messi of course was the headliner and very cool to see him play.   As I’m typing this man what a game.  

Espn deportes 6 pm aficionados.  

Thanks for the heads up. It's a pity the USA MNT won't be making the trip to Russia. I grew up with the game as in Jamaica it is either track or soccer. In my high school days, it was not unusual for crowds of over 5000 to watch a regular season game and from 10000 up watching the post season games. I had high hopes  the game would take on that level of popularity here in the USA. But to date it has not. A good World Cup run could help change that. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Thanks for the heads up. It's a pity the USA MNT won't be making the trip to Russia. I grew up with the game as in Jamaica it is either track or soccer. In my high school days, it was not unusual for crowds of over 5000 to watch a regular season game and from 10000 up watching the post season games. I had high hopes  the game would take on that level of popularity here in the USA. But to date it has not. A good World Cup run could help change that. 

It’s a bummer for sure.   Do you follow track in Jamaica?  I’m a sports junkie so yes i do to an extent lol.  Calabar HS some of us bring up in the track thread.   I assume they will attend the Penn Relays again and dominate.  Would be so nice if we could get a 4x100 race w Calabar, AHP, Cali’s best,  the strong team from DC/MD area name I can’t recall and TX top 2 and another Jamaican squad and GA’s best.  How’s that for a Hs race?  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

It’s a bummer for sure.   Do you follow track in Jamaica?  I’m a sports junkie so yes i do to an extent lol.  Calabar HS some of us bring up in the track thread.   I assume they will attend the Penn Relays again and dominate.  Would be so nice if we could get a 4x100 race w Calabar, AHP, Cali’s best,  the strong team from DC/MD area name I can’t recall and TX top 2 and another Jamaican squad and GA’s best.  How’s that for a Hs race?  

That would be awesome. Funny thing is Calabar is less than a mile away from my last address in Jamaica. Back then, though, Kingston College (it's a high school, some are called colleges in Jamaica), was the dominant team in track. Champs, the Jamaican High School Track and Field Championships, lasts four (or is it five now) days and fills the National Stadium each day (stadium capacity is about 35000 seated, but bigger crowds have been in there).  

If you win any of the races (male or female) at Champs from the 100 through the 400, you probably have the potential to be a world class sprinter. The competition is intense and the environment, insane!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

That would be awesome. Funny thing is Calabar is less than a mile away from my last address in Jamaica. Back then, though, Kingston College (it's a high school, some are called colleges in Jamaica), was the dominant team in track. Champs, the Jamaican High School Track and Field Championships, lasts four (or is it five now) days and fills the National Stadium each day (stadium capacity is about 35000 seated, but bigger crowds have been in there).  

If you win any of the races (male or female) at Champs from the 100 through the 400, you probably have the potential to be a world class sprinter. The competition is intense and the environment, insane!

I recall seeing KC abbreviated a lot in the Hs event results yea.  I can imagine the crowds for Bolt in Jamaica were wild.   Bolt was a very strong 400 runner too as a youngster.   He did it all from 17 on... he ripped some sick times at 17.   

10 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I recall seeing KC abbreviated a lot in the Hs event results yea.  I can imagine the crowds for Bolt in Jamaica were wild.   Bolt was a very strong 400 runner too as a youngster.   He did it all from 17 on... he ripped some sick times at 17.   

He was. I think his best time in the 400 as a high school athlete is still the record (if it has been broken it's within the last year). Not that surprising as he is built more like a 400 guy than a 100 guy. He attributes his giving up the 400 to being lazyxD.

If he is lazy, I wonder what he would do at full potential! 

22 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

He was. I think his best time in the 400 as a high school athlete is still the record (if it has been broken it's within the last year). Not that surprising as he is built more like a 400 guy than a 100 guy. He attributes his giving up the 400 to being lazyxD.

If he is lazy, I wonder what he would do at full potential! 

@nptb17knows well and while my track career ended at age 12 lol,  I knew early on how much the 440 yard dash as they called it in my youth SUCKED!  I preferred the 50 yard dash :) but the 100 was also OK.  The 220 even sucked as a kid.  I was losing pace already lol.  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

@nptb17knows well and while my track career ended at age 12 lol,  I knew early on how much the 440 yard dash as they called it in my youth SUCKED!  I preferred the 50 yard dash :) but the 100 was also OK.  The 220 even sucked as a kid.  I was losing pace already lol.  

Fuck the 400!!! That shit is for the birds.  I respect anyone who sprints that thing.

7 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Speaking of Champs in Jamaica, I forgot this was the week:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/%23Champs2018:_Three_records_fall_in_100m

I’m having difficulty reading that article for some reason off my cell phone, but I’m sure one of the 3 records is 15 year old Sachin Dennis +2.0 m/s wind legal 10.20!  Thats top U18 this year wind legal I believe.  

There was a 16 year old girl who also ran a sweet 100, sub 11.2 forgot the time.   Tamara Davis in the US has the top U18 I believe and this girl might be 2nd.  Not sure here.   HS I think they are 1-2.  

I receive track updates on Jamaica events. :)  

11 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I’m having difficulty reading that article for some reason off my cell phone, but I’m sure one of the 3 records is 15 year old Sachin Dennis +2.0 m/s wind legal 10.20!  Thats top U18 this year wind legal I believe.  

There was a 16 year old girl who also ran a sweet 100, sub 11.2 forgot the time.   Tamara Davis in the US has the top U18 I believe and this girl might be 2nd.  Not sure here.   HS I think they are 1-2.  

I receive track updates on Jamaica events. :)  

I see you do keep up with Jamaican athletics. Kevona Davis won the class 2, Women's 100 in 11.16. Given she is still 15, that is phenominal!

17 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I see you do keep up with Jamaican athletics. Kevona Davis won the class 2, Women's 100 in 11.16. Given she is still 15, that is phenominal!

That’s the one :)   My mistake, i thought she was 16.  So she’s right there with Tamari Davis from the US.  They will likely be seeing each other in future events with country jersey unis on.  That’s a sick time for that age. 

40 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

That’s the one :)   My mistake, i thought she was 16.  So she’s right there with Tamari Davis from the US.  They will likely be seeing each other in future events with country jersey unis on.  That’s a sick time for that age. 

It's scary. At my best, over 30 years ago, she would smoke me!

Defending champions Calabar High easily retained their Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/GraceKennedy Boys' Athletics Championships by a massive 90.5 points and gained their 28th lien on the Mortimer Geddes Trophy.

Calabar, who were winning for the seventh-consecutive year, amassed 368.5 points and finished well clear of Kingston College (KC) on 278. Jamaica College (JC) were third with 224.5 ahead of St Jago on 146 with St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) completing the top five on 95 points.

The boys from Red Hill Road are now only three titles behind KC's 31.

It was also Head Coach Michael Clarke's 17 Champs title, which makes him the most successful high school coach. He led his alma mater Calabar to nine wins, seven at JC, while leading St Jago to their only title in 1987.

It would have been a fitting end for Calabar to win the championships with a record run in the 4x400m Oen in 3:05.60 minutes, but they were later disqualified for employing an ineligible athlete.

They used Class Two athlete Evaldo Whitehorne on their quartet to substitute for the injured Anthony Carpenter, but according to the ISSA rules governing participation at these Championships, no Class Two athlete should participate in more than three events, and the youngster had already participated in two individual events and a relay in Class Two.

Petersfield with a superb run from Antonio Watson, who transported them from sixth to second in 3:10.64 minutes, were awarded victory. JC finished third in 3:10.93.

Earlier, in the first boys track final, Calabar's Lavoughn Douglas upset the applecart in the Class Three 400m, winning in a splendid 49.38 seconds. In a race in which three boys dipped below the 50-second barrier, favourite Adrian Nethersole of STETHS went out a bit fast and was caught close to home in 49.59. KC's Tyrese Williams also closed for third in 49.83.

Once again Petersfield High's Antonio Watson ran a strange race and left it extremely late before pipping Calabar's Evaldo Whitehorne on the line. Watson, the 2017 World Youth champion, won in 47.08 seconds, some way off his personal best of 46.59 set in Kenya last year. Whitehorne was second in 47.15 seconds, with Zidane Brown of Glenmuir High third with 47.79.

Then KC's captain and new-found star Dashawn Morris continued his immaculate form and showed his superiority over Anthony Carpenter, winning in a magnificent 45.09 seconds. It was Morris's personal best and was just .16 second outside Akeem Bloomfield's record of 44.93 set in 2015.

Carpenter was second in 45.57, also a personal best, while Chevannie Hanson of Edwin Allen was third in 46.03, just ahead of Shemar Chambers of Calabar in 46.18.

Morris is now the third-fastest 400m runner in the history of Champs behind Bloomfield (44.93) and Javon Francis (45.00). Morris's personal best before the season started was 46.67, but since then he has times of 45.93, 46.01, 45.63 and 45.09 — rather remarkable for a runner who started in the sport in 2013.

At the end of the 400 metres, Calabar collected 32 points compared to KC's 24 and a meagre four points for JC. The green and black boys from Red Hills Road soared to 204 points and opened up a 48-point lead.

Alex Williams of William Knibb captured the javelin open with a throw of 56.60m. Rusea's High's Brandon McLaren was second with 54.74 and Santino Anglin of Petersfield third with 54.08m.

The boys were really stepping high in the sprint hurdles as all three records went. The first to go was in Class Three as JC's Neil-matthew Sutherland clocked 12.87 seconds. St Jago's Vashaun Vascianna lowered the Class Two record with 13.45 seconds. Then, not to be outdone, the impressive Dejour Russell lowered his own record from 13.21 seconds to 13.10 seconds before heading off to the Commonwealth Games in Australia.

If there was any doubt about who would win the championships, Calabar made it loud and clear as they rattled up 40 points in the sprint hurdles. JC collected 19, while KC picked up 14 points. Calabar had raced to 245 points, 75 more than KC on 170, with JC third with 127 points.

The outstanding Jauavney James of STETHS ended his Champs career in fine style by capturing the 800m in a splendid 1:50.07 minutes after changing his race tactics to come from behind for a facile victory. JC's Ken Reyes of the Turks and Caicos was second in 1:50.28 minutes, with Kimar Farqurharson third in 1:50.81 minutes.

Having skipped the 400m, Calabar Captain Christopher Taylor had a crack at Usain Bolt's Class One 200m record of 20.25 set 15 years ago in 2003. But the talented sprinter fell short after clocking a personal best of 20.35 seconds. The much-improved Anthony Carpenter was second in 20.92, with JC's Ryiem Robertson third in 21.12.

The outstanding Antonio Watson of Petersfield won his second gold of the championships capturing the Class Two 200m in 20.90 and just nipped the 100m record holder Sachin Dennis of STETHS, who did 20.95. Rajay Morris of Clarendon College was third with 21.01.

KC's Adrian Kerr reversed the 100m placing with his teammate Bouwahjgie Nkrumie in the Class Three 200m, winning in a new record time of 21.69 seconds. Nkrumie, the 100m record holder, stopped the clock at 21.74, just outside Tyreke Wilson's previous record of 21.72 done in 2014.

In a remarkable display of multitasking, Romaine Beckford of Buff Bay High competed simultaneously in the Class Two high jump and discus and won both. Beckford was the only athlete to clear 2.00m for gold in the high jump.

Beckford would skip across to the nets to break the Class Two discus record with a throw of 55.70m, well ahead of Daniel Cope's mark of 53.41 held since 2016. KC's Ralford Mullings threw 54.85m and was also above the old record.

KC's Rasheeda Downer was a surprise winner in the Class One shot put with 18.38m ahead of Danree Delancy of Munro College, with 18.32. Courtney Lawrence of Petersfield third with 18.21, and KC's Zico Campbell fourth with 18.08m.

KC got the relays off to flying start, smashing their own sprint medley open record of 3:25.78 minutes from 2014 and lowering it to 3:24.33 minutes on the back of a brilliant anchor 800m leg from Colin Rowe.

Calabar, with Taylor on anchor, took the Class One 4x100 in 39.17 seconds, ahead of KC in 39.92 without Jhevaughn Matherson. JC were third with 40.01. St Jago won the Class Two 4x100 in 40.73, while KC took the Class Three in 42.43.

Then fans were treated to a stellar 5,000m event won by Calabar's Kevroy Venson in 15:14.86 minutes, ahead of KC's Aryamanya Rodgers in 15:15.86. Renardo Johnson of St Jago was third in 15.19.20 minutes.

• Like 1

Very nice DB...  Calabar still on top.   I noticed some updates today and some repeating what you listed above, but some times I was wow'd with... 

Calabar with a 39.17 4x100 :)   If they attend the Penn Relays again I'll be watching.   Christopher Taylor I've been following for a good 4 years now... very close with Tyrese Cooper from the US in the 100 thru 400 times.   Both 18 yr olds now.   Taylor nice rip with a PB 20.35 in the 200.  

Your KC did well, shit a guy just missed breaking 45 secs in the 400!   Dashawn Morris,  45.09 wow.   Can you check on his age for me and also another one... how old is Bouwahigie Nkrumi?   He ripped a 10.79 100 in the 10-13 age bracket!   Crazy, even if he's 13.  

Kevona Davis 22.72 200 ?!  16 years old.   Vashaun Cascianna  13.35  110m hurdles, 14 yrs old... Crazy fast Jamaica!  

Nkrumie Bouwahjgie  is in 2nd form (8th grader). So, given we are almost at the end of the school year, he is probably 13. Deshawn Morris is KC's team Captain and is in upper 6th (13th grade), so he would be either 18 or 19 (outside chance he could be 17 if born in April through June). 

Calabar has now won 7 in a row. But they have always been good at track. Our first Olympic Gold Medal was the 4 X 400 in Helsinki, Finland in 1952. Their run established a new World Record at the time. The team was Rhoden, Wint, Lang and McKinley. Three of the four were Calabar graduates.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2018 at 2:34 PM, golfaddict1 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5891303/usain-bolt-borussia-dortmund-football-not-ready/

He did have fun though... 

On 3/23/2018 at 2:34 PM, golfaddict1 said:

...Some cool news about another star coming to the US for the swan song career finish.  The great Zlatan Ibrahimovic has left Manchester United and was signed by the LA Galaxy.   He will fill seats.  He's had some sick goals in his career... this is a classic one here.   

Here’s another classic goal in his LA Galaxy debut... and his first of the day.  It’s worth a look indeed.  

His 2nd goal was the game winner lol.  He didn’t get sub’d in until the 70th minute. :) 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Here’s another classic goal in his LA Galaxy debut... and his first of the day.  It’s worth a look indeed.  

His 2nd goal was the game winner lol.  He didn’t get sub’d in until the 70th minute. :) 

What makes this forward so great, is his amazing field awareness. Combine that with  skills, part innate and part acquired over the course of his long career, and you have a deadly striker!. 

• Like 1