Trump going after Amazon

HSFBfan

30 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Love it. Retailers like Amazon have to be looked at. As they eat into the mom and pop shops and kill business it must be either curtailed or killed.

https://www.axios.com/trump-regulation-amazon-facebook-646c642c-a2d7-454b-a9a9-cdc6e4eaef2c.html

Agreed to some extent.  It’s a shame the neighborhood store is closing only to be replaced by conglomerates.  I mean NJ towns are practically interchangeable.  It’s all the same chains.  Totally agree with shopping local.

Then again Walmart, Target, etc are already doing this (slightly off topic but does anyone remember the old Caldor dept. stores?) and Amazon just does it online, which is even more convenient.  For higher end goods and hobby stuff  I’d always shop local and at smaller stores with good customer service, better customer service. but for generic household items we go to target or Walmart, too.   Can’t put the genie back in the bottle, and the shopping from home convenience on Amazon is awesome.  We use it all the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Agreed to some extent.  It’s a shame the neighborhood store is closing only to be replaced by conglomerates.  I mean NJ towns are practically interchangeable.  It’s all the same chains.  Totally agree with shopping local.

Then again Walmart, Target, etc are already doing this (slightly off topic but does anyone remember the old Caldor dept. stores?) and Amazon just does it online, which is even more convenient.  Can’t put the genie back in the bottle, and the shopping from home convenience on Amazon is awesome.  We use it all the time.

yes I do use Amazon but i try to shop as much local as I can. I go to local bars and restaurants over chain ones. I understand that once you let these companies out of the bag its hard to put a stop to them but companies like Amazon are not paying the correct amount of tax. I believe South Dakota already has a internet tax case in front of the courts. If you tax the online companies as much as the stores than people might go back to shopping locally

Amazon is down about a 100 points today

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

yes I do use Amazon but i try to shop as much local as I can. I go to local bars and restaurants over chain ones. I understand that once you let these companies out of the bag its hard to put a stop to them but companies like Amazon are not paying the correct amount of tax. I believe South Dakota already has a internet tax case in front of the courts. If you tax the online companies as much as the stores than people might go back to shopping locally

Oh yeah I hate chain restaurants.  Always eat local.  The only one that we occasionally go to is Olive Garden (my folks love it for some reason.  I guess it’s better than a chili’s or Applebee’s, etc.)

even with tax the economies of scale are such that I think they’ll still be cheaper overall than a mom & pop selling equivalents, (esp. with their generic brands) but we’ll see what happens.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Oh yeah I hate chain restaurants.  Always eat local.  The only one that we occasionally go to is Olive Garden (my folks love it for some reason.  I guess it’s better than a chili’s or Applebee’s, etc.)

even with tax the economies of scale are such that I think they’ll still be cheaper overall than a mom & pop selling equivalents, (esp. with their generic brands) but we’ll see what happens.

I have added above Amazon right now is down 100 points on the day

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/12/supreme-court-hear-south-dakota-sales-tax-collection-case/1029701001/

Just now, Hardcore Troubador said:

Had read about this earlier.  Very interesting case.  SCOTUS ruling will have major implications.

Yep. Hopefully they rule in favor of South Dakota. The amount of money that the country is not getting paid by these companies is not right. Like you said if the mom and pop stores have to pay the sales tax why doesnt places like amazon have to pay the same amount 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I never thought I'd see the day when a couple of closeted liberals like HSFBfan and Hardcore Troubadore posted out in the open like this. 

xD

How is that a liberal mind set? That I would rather go back to the days of mom and pop shops than have these retailers like Wal-Mart and Amazon??

Just now, HSFBfan said:

How is that a liberal mind set? That I would rather go back to the days of mom and pop shops than have these retailers like Wal-Mart and Amazon??

It's anti conglomerate, anti big multinationals. You think Trump is anti these? No, he is looking to hurt Amazon, because he hates Bezos. It's as simple as that. Now am I pro Amazon? No. Do I think they should collect and remit sales taxes like regular stores? Yes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

It's anti conglomerate, anti big multinationals. You think Trump is anti these? No, he is looking to hurt Amazon, because he hates Bezos. It's as simple as that. Now am I pro Amazon? No. Do I think they should collect and remit sales taxes like regular stores? Yes. 

What is the rift between Trump and Bezos? real question looking to get educated on that topic

All im looking for thru Amazon is for them to pay the proper taxes as a company they should pay. They will still make billions in profit. Im not looking to end them as a company. Just give the local stores some kind of chance of survival. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Was literally just about to post this.  The article says he wants to hurt Bezos “clip his wings” was the quote I think they used.  Scary that he is even in a position to have a chance at doing that!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

What is the rift between Trump and Bezos? real question looking to get educated on that topic

That’s honestly a good question.  I know it’s been reported multiple times that Trump doesn’t like Bezos but I was never sure why.  It would have to be business or PR related.  I don’t think Bezos is in real estate?  Probably WaPo related but I wander how much control Bezos exerts over the actual content.

• Like 1

Making Amazon pay more taxes isn't going to bring back the family farm, the corner five and dime or the regular mom and pop shops. 

Convenience is a mofo. People may still pay more for items just for convenience. It's akin to paying $1.89 for a 20oz. softdrink at a convenience store rather than driving a few more miles to a big store where the same drink is a buck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Making Amazon pay more taxes isn't going to bring back the family farm, the corner five and dime or the regular mom and pop shops. 

Convenience is a mofo. People may still pay more for items just for convenience. It's akin to paying $1.89 for a 20oz. softdrink at a convenience store rather than driving a few more miles to a big store where the same drink is a buck. 

I agree with what your saying but at the same time since they are going to be around and probably take over shouldnt they pay the right amount of taxes?

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

I dont think this issue is a liberal conservative issue. I think its just a fairer way of doing business. And if we can bring back main street and at the same time have wall street do great isnt that for the best

Wall Street does not make its money from Main Street. It makes money from the big dogs and companies aspiring to be big dogs. The two are in conflict. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Wall Street does not make its money from Main Street. It makes money from the big dogs and companies aspiring to be big dogs. The two are in conflict. 

So your telling me there is no way small shops can thrive at the same time the big dogs thrive?

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I’m not under any illusion that’s happening.  

And I myself like the convenience and prices of the big box stores.  I just like my town to keep some of its charm so I make a conscious decision to try and shop and eat local when I can.

You can keep the big stores out with zoning ordinances in downtown areas.  Keep them on the sides of highways.

• Like 1

Just now, HSFBfan said:

So your telling me there is no way small shops can thrive at the same time the big dogs thrive?

It depends on whether the big dogs are cannibalizing their markets or not. If they are not directly competing with each other, sure. If they are, the big dogs can starve them out.

• Like 1

Just now, Hardcore Troubador said:

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I’m not under any illusion that’s happening.  

And I myself like the convenience and prices of the big box stores.  I just like my town to keep some of its charm so I make a conscious decision to try and shop and eat local when I can.

You can keep the big stores out with zoning ordinances in downtown areas.  Keep them on the sides of highways.

NJ is also just one big mall after another. 

It depends on whether the big dogs are cannibalizing their markets or not. If they are not directly competing with each other, sure. If they are, the big dogs can starve them out.

Gotcha. Can you do this? Tax the big dogs and give a tax break to the small shops? Im just curious.