A brilliant Series of Interviews with a Financial Times Journalist

DarterBlue

It delves indepth into the impact of financialization of markets in the USA and its impact on the economy. The interview were conducted on a very leftist Internet Site. However, the quality of the interviews is great and reflects the fact that the individual being interviewed has done significant research into the issue. The research was done in conjunction with the publication of her most recent book. With all those caveats, IMHO, this is a great series of interviews which gives very good insights into where we are as a country and why our economy is bogged down in a deep malaise. 

https://therealnews.com/stories/rise-finance-fall-american-business

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It delves indepth into the impact of financialization of markets in the USA and its impact on the economy. The interview were conducted on a very leftist Internet Site. However, the quality of the interviews is great and reflects the fact that the individual being interviewed has done significant research into the issue. The research was done in conjunction with the publication of her most recent book. With all those caveats, IMHO, this is a great series of interviews which gives very good insights into where we are as a country and why our economy is bogged down in a deep malaise. 

Gonna read later, copied and pasted via text

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

She is a smart woman. It is the elephant in the room that is not being addressed by either political party or by business.

Don’t spoil it just yet, haven’t got to it. Did read this though....

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/the-negative-impact-of-the-metoo-movement/

Little bit of blah, blah, blah and slanted nationalism but thought provoking  

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Don’t spoil it just yet, haven’t got to it. Did read this though....

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/the-negative-impact-of-the-metoo-movement/

Little bit of blah, blah, blah and slanted nationalism but thought provoking  

Read it. While I have concerns about the Me Too movement, they are not the concerns expressed by the author (speechwriter would be more appropriate, I guess). For she seems to think the movement will unleash a torrent of demands for feminine diversity (and minority diversity to some extent too), to the detriment of white males. I don't see that happening. Competent, qualified white males will always get their share of high level jobs, at least for the foreseeable future. 

My greater concern arising from the Me Too movement, revolves around men losing their jobs based on mere allegations without being given a chance to marshal an adequate defense. For while I am sure that many men (and I would include Bill Cosby here), have acted in at the very least, an untoward, if not criminal way toward women in the workforce and elsewhere, I am equally sure that many careers will be ruined by unsubstantiated allegations many of which will later on be proven to be false. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Read it. While I have concerns about the Me Too movement, they are not the concerns expressed by the author (speechwriter would be more appropriate, I guess). For she seems to think the movement will unleash a torrent of demands for feminine diversity (and minority diversity to some extent too), to the detriment of white males. I don't see that happening. Competent, qualified white males will always get their share of high level jobs, at least for the foreseeable future. 

My greater concern arising from the Me Too movement, revolves around men losing their jobs based on mere allegations without being given a chance to marshal an adequate defense. For while I am sure that many men (and I would include Bill Cosby here), have acted in at the very least, an untoward, if not criminal way toward women in the workforce and elsewhere, I am equally sure that many careers will be ruined by unsubstantiated allegations many of which will later on be proven to be false. 

Good article the one you posted, of course the crash affected me negatively... I was naive to think that it would catch up to me but it did.

There was a proliferation of mortgage "brokers" and no qualifications were necessary and I thought it was shady all of these balloon mortgages and shady valuations in real estate... didn't realize how big of a problem it was because finance really not my game.

The movie the Big Short came out and it spoke to a lot of things I was seeing in the market. The government bailouts were concerning, nobody was going to jail... just a few buttholes it seemed.

The carnage during this greedy money grab was people lost homes, marriages failed, bankruptcies, suicides, etc.,.

So, in short good article.

I've been saying all along "we as minions are down here fighting for scraps over partisan politics, racial division, and just about everything is a fight as to who's right and wrong while the "Lords of Wall Street" and the 1% are looking down upon us unscathed, untouched with NOTHING in sight to threaten them, going about their business hauling in cash by the truckloads.

But we a rule find solace and comfort being in a "box" fighting over race, politics, regional bias etc.... the real fight is elsewhere and untouchable it seems.

Regards,

BufordGaWolves

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

So, in short good article.

I've been saying all along "we as minions are down here fighting for scraps over partisan politics, racial division, and just about everything is a fight as to who's right and wrong while the "Lords of Wall Street" and the 1% are looking down upon us unscathed, untouched with NOTHING in sight to threaten them, going about their business hauling in cash by the truckloads.

But we a rule find solace and comfort being in a "box" fighting over race, politics, regional bias etc.... the real fight is elsewhere and untouchable it seems.

Regards,

BufordGaWolves

Capitalism is the best system we have devised to date. Unfortunately, it is inherently unstable. After the 1929 crash, some real good safeguards were put in place. No of course, one reason they were is that in  the early 1930s, Communism as represented by the Soviet Union was seen as a possible alternative. For at that time the atrocities of Stalin were not well known. 

Beginning in the late 1970s and accelerated since, the safeguards put in place after the 1929 crash have all been either weakened or completely eroded. What are the implications of that? To my mind, it leads to Oligopoly and Monopoly, which is capitalism run amok. For in such situations, wealth becomes concentrated to the point where it stifles growth which is necessary to keep common people sufficiently prosperous to be satisfied. Thus, we are where we are politically and socially. I am pretty sure we will have other market meltdowns. Whether it's housing, the bond market, the stock market or niche areas such auto or student loans. I don't know. But to me its a certainty. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Capitalism is the best system we have devised to date. Unfortunately, it is inherently unstable. After the 1929 crash, some real good safeguards were put in place. No of course, one reason they were is that in  the early 1930s, Communism as represented by the Soviet Union was seen as a possible alternative. For at that time the atrocities of Stalin were not well known. 

Beginning in the late 1970s and accelerated since, the safeguards put in place after the 1929 crash have all been either weakened or completely eroded. What are the implications of that? To my mind, it leads to Oligopoly and Monopoly, which is capitalism run amok. For in such situations, wealth becomes concentrated to the point where it stifles growth which is necessary to keep common people sufficiently prosperous to be satisfied. Thus, we are where we are politically and socially. I am pretty sure we will have other market meltdowns. Whether it's housing, the bond market, the stock market or niche areas such auto or student loans. I don't know. But to me its a certainty. 

Like your comment, not liking the direction we’re heading it seems. 

Some would say the system has survived and cycled positively over time and not going anywhere, I believe that blind optimism led us to our recent meltdown. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Like your comment, not liking the direction we’re heading it seems. 

Some would say the system has survived and cycled positively over time and not going anywhere, I believe that blind optimism led us to our recent meltdown

Blind optimism on the part of most; cold cynicism on the part of a few who took advantage of the situation knowing full well it was going to blow up.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2018 at 5:25 PM, DarterBlue said:

Thanks Darter, what a fascinating insight that young female author/reporter has on the US economy. The host/moderator was equally informative and perceptive. The 7 or 8 part series of interviews were loaded with highly competent "opinions and observations" about our country's past, current, and future economies. I wish the question-and-answer session was longer then it's hour or so running time. Only in the last two segments do I notice a perceived lefty slant by the moderator. Oh well, the right-wing dinosaurs won't watch the program anyway. Trump "feeds" them all they need to know.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dan in daytona said:

Thanks Darter, what a fascinating insight that young female author/reporter has on the US economy. The host/moderator was equally informative and perceptive. The 7 or 8 part series of interviews were loaded with highly competent "opinions and observations" about our country's past, current, and future economies. I wish the question-and-answer session was longer then it's hour or so running time. Only in the last two segments do I notice a perceived lefty slant by the moderator. Oh well, the right-wing dinosaurs won't watch the program anyway. Trump "feeds" them all they need to know.  

As well as brains, at 48 she is an extremely hot woman. Better looking than many a 30 year old!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...