Some insight into Apopka & Wekiva football

DarterBlue

This was interesting for several reasons.  First was the observation that as the football program went into a down era the overall discipline at the school declined.  That just points out how important high school sports are to the self-image of a school and community.

Second, I was impressed to hear that over 100 kids turned out for freshman football.  That’s remarkable.  It waan’t clear that that was the case every year but still ...

Third, the back porch of Sonny’s BBQ seems to be a popping place.

Do the Fighting Anhingas still run the Single Wing?  I’d love to hear the coaching staff’s take on how that got started and why they stick with it.

3 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

This was interesting for several reasons.  First was the observation that as the football program went into a down era the overall discipline at the school declined.  That just points out how important high school sports are to the self-image of a school and community.

Second, I was impressed to hear that over 100 kids turned out for freshman football.  That’s remarkable.  It waan’t clear that that was the case every year but still ...

Do the Fighting Anhingas still run the Single Wing?  I’d love to hear the coaching staff’s take on how that got started and why they stick with it.

Yeah apopka still runs single wing 

51 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

They do. However, this year I expect them to line up in the spread as well. Two reasons: 1. Apopka is in the same district as Wekiva. Last year they had trouble racking up yards and touchdowns out of the single wing against their stellar defense. 2. They actually have two starters, one of whom is RD's son, that can actually throw the ball.

So it makes sense to diversify the offense. It should be interesting to see what the mix is as the season progresses. 

49 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

I watched a video of Apopka.  It seemed like they ran 98% sweeps; not much of the misdirection plays the single wing and wing-T are known for.

The plays all seemed to go for 30-40 yards, or TDs, so go with what’s working, I guess.

What's run is situational. If you don't need the wrinkles, why run them? 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 12:35 PM, 1MustangW said:

Nice to hear RFW discuss Wekiva without raising against their players taking a knee. He probably had to take a shower after saying such positive things about their players and coach.

I don't remember Roger talking about the knee thing on the air, but I could be wrong. As far as the Wekiva mention goes on the July 6 show, that was yours truly who brought up the information about Renardo Green and Rian Davis being at The Opening. No big deal, but Roger didn't have to worry about the shower. :D

On 7/7/2018 at 4:10 PM, Wosinc said:

Porkie's, not Sonny's! Steve White, owner of Porkie's, is a very nice guy, but even he might get upset about that! :-)