Scrimmages

prep82

2 hours ago, Zipcep said:

St. Anthony's was a crying shame. Unbelievable college attendance records, I'm just confused out of all the basketball players they produced, not one with their tens of millions could set up a trust to keep it going. Don't get me going on the arch diocese, they seem to be in the real estate business 

Couldn't agree more. The Archdiocese has abandoned Catholic education in the inner city. That St. Anthony property is right in the heart of the Newport area. Very pricey real estate. They will make millions from the sale of that property.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zipcep said:

St. Anthony's was a crying shame. Unbelievable college attendance records, I'm just confused out of all the basketball players they produced, not one with their tens of millions could set up a trust to keep it going. Don't get me going on the arch diocese, they seem to be in the real estate business 

Right?  Or at least get something small going and build on it from there.  A couple guys donating a few hundred thousand would have changed everything for a school like that.  It's a small, dilapidated building.  It never had a large enrollment.  Wouldn't have taken much to keep things going and even improve them.

Then again you have Queen of Peace where alumni came out in force (I think one or two donated over a million), and the school closed down within a year anyway?  WTF was that all about?  I'd love to see where that money was spent.

24 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

Couldn't agree more. The Archdiocese has abandoned Catholic education in the inner city. That St. Anthony property is right in the heart of the Newport area. Very pricey real estate. They will make millions from the sale of that property.

Sad, but true.

And it's definitely in a great location.  They'll put up some nice condos there.  Maybe a Thai/Fusion restaurant as well (or whatever the hell these yuppie millenials like).

12 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

How does PC look this year?I coached varsity wrestling there years ago after Nunz & father left.They brought in a new AD/football coach that was a asshol5 that didn't care about anything but football,until Roth got in his face.Can't remember his name,he left or got canned & coached for his home town of Nutley.

Just now, tommygun58 said:

How does PC look this year?I coached varsity wrestling there years ago after Nunz & father left.They brought in a new AD/football coach that was a asshol5 that didn't care about anything but football,until Roth got in his face.Can't remember his name,he left or got canned & coached for his home town of Nutley.

Will be back at the bottom of the barrel seems to be the consensus 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paladin4ever said:

Strong alumni support from both Bosco and SPP. Hudson Catholic saw itself in trouble a few years ago and, through alumni effort, is now doing well. Both their football and basketball have done very well. It also helped that they decided to go co-ed. The all-boys model was no longer working in Jersey City with SPP in the same town.

Hudson Catholic is a great success story, so far.  Seems like they've righted the ship.  Wildwood Catholic (very small school w/o football) did the same, as did Mater Dei and Immaculate Conception in Montclair.

9 minutes ago, tommygun58 said:

Not a PC expert, but I think they're going to start reverting back to their mean.  The "new" coach seems to have inspired no one, alumni are apparently very unhappy with school's decision to de-emphasize "Livin'" and football in general, and there didn't seem to be a lot of talent in the pipeline/no connection with Pop Warner programs (apparently one of the reasons Sabella left).  They do have a few good kids and may have another 500-type season (they should still beat Hackensack, West Catholic, etc.), but I can't imagine any sustained success moving forward absent a big change in players, staff, and the school administration.

Then again WTF do I know?  I'm sure Paladin4Ever and GSB have some insights.

1 minute ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Not a PC expert, but I think they're going to start reverting back to their mean.  The "new" coach seems to have inspired no one, alumni are apparently very unhappy with school's decision to de-emphasize "Livin'" and football in general, and there didn't seem to be a lot of talent in the pipeline/no connection with Pop Warner programs (apparently one of the reasons Sabella left).  They do have a few good kids and may have another 500-type season (they should still beat Hackensack, West Catholic, etc.), but I can't imagine any sustained success moving forward absent a big change in players, staff, and the school administration.

PC has some horses, but they are very young. I can't argue with your assessment. However, if Gary Nova is successful as OC, then the Paladins may surprise.

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Will be back at the bottom of the barrel seems to be the consensus 

I will never forget that job.My 215lbs wrestler had nobody to practice with.I dug up my old shoes & dressed to roll around with him at practice(I was 52 yrs old).After practice I went into the coaches area striped down to my undershorts threw a towel over my shoulder & headed to the shower.The shower was used for storage.WTF?The female cheer leading coach was a bit shocked when she saw me 1/2 naked walking around.She told me nobody takes showers at school & It's been like that for years. I have got high school kid zit jizz & BO crap on me & needed to clean up.I asked about the wrestlers & they don't shower either,just put street clothes on & go home.How times have changed.Showers were mandatory after any practice,match or gym class in my day.,

48 minutes ago, tommygun58 said:

I will never forget that job.My 215lbs wrestler had nobody to practice with.I dug up my old shoes & dressed to roll around with him at practice(I was 52 yrs old).After practice I went into the coaches area striped down to my undershorts threw a towel over my shoulder & headed to the shower.The shower was used for storage.WTF?The female cheer leading coach was a bit shocked when she saw me 1/2 naked walking around.She told me nobody takes showers at school & It's been like that for years. I have got high school kid zit jizz & BO crap on me & needed to clean up.I asked about the wrestlers & they don't shower either,just put street clothes on & go home.How times have changed.Showers were mandatory after any practice,match or gym class in my day.,

Yea man sports have changed in that regard. I'm 31 and I didnt play football or such but I did play a sport in HS and we didnt shower either. We just threw our clothes on and went home. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Yea man sports have changed in that regard. I'm 31 and I didnt play football or such but I did play a sport in HS and we didnt shower either. We just threw our clothes on and went home. 

How could you not take a shower after 1st or 2nd...period  gym class & sit through school scuzzy?I thought your generation was the big sex crazy shit.

9 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Idk man. Looking back it was freaking disgusting 

I was doing  a attic  job for a customer in Glen Rock NJ 12 yrs ago.There daughter would show up with 7 - 10 people after HSchool. & hang in the basement that I finished 3 years prior.I went down there to shut off a electric breaker & 4 girls had a johnson on there mouths.They were competing who can give the best hummer.It was called the rainbow club.Every guy needed to have all the different colors of lipstick on their members to vote.These people are uneasy about taking showers together? 

10 minutes ago, tommygun58 said:

I was doing  a attic  job for a customer in Glen Rock NJ 12 yrs ago.There daughter would show up with 7 - 10 people after HSchool. & hang in the basement that I finished 3 years prior.I went down there to shut off a electric breaker & 4 girls had a johnson on there mouths.They were competing who can give the best hummer.It was called the rainbow club.Every guy needed to have all the different colors of lipstick on their members to vote.These people are uneasy about taking showers together? 

Lmaoooo yeah man.....I think you have to be part of the generation to understand the generation. You had to tote the line and say the right things in school to be popular yeah know. But once you left school do what u will kinda thing