Ohio Week 3 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Colerain (2-0) vs. Princeton (2-0) - Colerain 28 Princeton 10

Colerain escaped with a 14-12 win over a very good rival St. X team. It was an ugly game for both teams, but it was the Colerain defense that ended up winning this game. They forced 5 turnovers, and played very well. St. X was able to make some fantastic throws and picked up more yardage than Colerain would've liked, but most of the time, the Colerain defense was making great plays. Also on the 2nd X TD, it was just a mental breakdown where the DB let a WR get behind him because he thought another DB was there.........The Colerain offense was never able to get in a good rythym, but had moments of good plays. Most of that you can chalk up to X's Defense, but also Colerain lost their best OLinemen Rusty Feth in the first half. Also RB's Syncere Jones and JJ Davis have both been banged up, and they haven't been getting nearly as many touches as expected. This is all normal for the option offense though, and will get much better as the season progresses.

Princeton is 2-0 and under 2nd year coach Mike Daniels look to be very much on the rise. They beat Milford in week 1, and took out Withrow last week. They also did very well in scrimmages and by all reports appeared to be a better team than Moeller in their scrimmage. They strength of this team is the DLine, which has been dominant so far. Some have even suggested the best DLine in the city. The Princeton secondary is a little shaky. The Princeton offense has alot of potential, but from what I've seen, it looks like a lot of designed plays fall apart and they just enter improv mode and let their QB figure something out. 

It's good to see a resurgent Princeton team. Part of me thinks this will be a tight game because Princeton is very stout on the DLine and has good overall run defense and Colerain likes to run it, but after watching Princeton vs. Milford, it appeared that Princeton is not quite on the upper level yet. Alot of the improv plays will not work against a Colerain Defense that has forced 7 turnovers in 2 games. 

Hoban (2-0) @ Wayne (2-0) - Hoban 28 Wayne 21

Hoban beat an overmatched Cardinal Mooney team 42-13 last week.

Wayne is 2-0 and has wins over Austin-East TN, and COF Academy; both were blowouts. Wayne usually always puts a solid team out there, so they should be competitive in this one. I really don't have any frame of reference for this year's Wayne team, but either: their fans are sandbagging or Wayne is down this year. 

This should be a good test to see where both teams are at. Hoban looked great Week 1 against Iggy, but after Mentor thrashed Iggy last week, I need to see Hoban against some more solid teams....I think Wayne should be a good enough team for this game, and could even end up winning....but kinda like Hoban, I need to see them against other solid teams. I think Wayne at home will keep it respectable, but will ultimately fall short. 

Mentor (2-0) vs. Glenville (1-1) - Mentor 38 Glenville 13

Mentor thrashed Iggy 28-7 last week, and at one point were up 28-0 before Iggy got on the board. Mentor QB Kipp is playing fantastic and has good chemistry with WR Floriea. The Mentor offense already appears to be in mid-season form. It's a little hard to get a good read on the Mentor Defense because Iggy seriously struggles on offense, but the Mentor defense played well. 

Glenville is 1-1 to start the season. They were hammered in week 1 42-17 to what appears to be a very good Euclid team. This past week they beat a usually tough Olentangy Liberty 19-17. 

I haven't really followed much of Glenville ever since they dropped down to D3, but they certainly aren't the powerhouse they use to be, and I think Mentor will handle them quite easily. 

Pickerington Central (2-0) @ Trotwood-Madison (1-1) - Pick Central 35 Trotwood 10

Pick Central played a Canadian team and won 56-6. 

Trotwood-Madison played Simeon IL and got blown out 33-6. Trotwood lost some serious offensive talent, and are clearly not the team they were last year, but I was still shocked by this result. After beating a down, but still tough Winton Woods team in week 1, things looked good for Trotwood. Things may still be good for Trotwood and Simeon could be better than we all think. Time will tell.

I'm sure Pick Central wants revenge for Trotwood ruining their perfect season last year. Trotwood's offense doesn't seem to be anywhere close to where it was last year. Their defense still seems solid, but I think Pick Central avenges their loss from last season.

St. Edward (0-2) vs. Cathedral Prep PA (1-1) - St. Edward 24 Cathedral Prep 21

Ed's is 0-2 on 2 rough losses that could've gone the other way. This past week Ed's should've absolutely beat Cass Tech MI, but gave up a nearly 70 yard walkoff hail mary TD to lose 21-20. The Ed's defense played much better than week 1, but to give up that hail mary in the manner they did is just inexcusable. The WR just floated right behind the group of DB/WR's and went up and grabbed the pass with little trouble. The only thing that I can think of that may have happened is that the Ed's DB's didn't think the QB could get the pass there, because the pass was around 70 yards in the air! 

Cathedral Prep PA comes to town 1-1 after beating a Canadian team in Week 2, but losing 24-21 in Week 1 to Pittsburgh Central Catholic. 

I haven't been able to learn too much about Cathedral Prep this year, but I think they will be a tough matchup for Ed's. This is probably a toss up game with the Ed's that we've seen so far. If Ed's cleans up play and really starts firing on all cylinders, then Ed's should take this one. This game could be a must win for playoff hopes for Ed's.

St. Ignatius (0-2) @ Euclid (2-0) - Iggy 28 Euclid 24

Iggy lost to Mentor 28-7 and are now 0-2. The Iggy offense is really struggling. The defense is solid, but can't spend so much time on the field. 

Euclid has a nice 2-0 start with beatdowns of Glenville and Lorain. Euclid is a nice athletic program with good coaching that has been getting better the last couple of years. They appear to have a pretty good team this year. 

Euclid is certainly capable of taking this game, and I want to look at this as a tossup game, but past history would suggest Iggy wins this one. I'm really torn on this one.

Others: 
St. X looks very good. They have very good Line Play on both sides, and have found another outstanding QB. Their Defense is very stout. If they can clean things up, they will be very hard to beat.

Elder beat Indy Cathedral 39-34 with a TD in the last minute of the game. Elder's offense is very good, and their defense seems like a typical Elder defense that will struggle with speedy, athletic offenses. 

Moeller knocked off Trinity KY 21-14, which completely surprised me, but now Trinity sits at 0-3. Still not clear on Moeller. They should beat Scott County KY this week, but Scott should be able to keep it close.

La Salle beat Mason and will now play Lutheran North MO. Lutheran North has already played and lost to Nazareth IL and Homewood-Flossmoor IL, so this will be a fun comparison. The La Salle D, mainly the Front 7 are very good....La Salle really needs to clean up the offense and get a rythym. 

Hilliard Davidson vs. Hilliard Bradley should be a good one to keep an eye on. HD has a nice start with 2 shutouts. Both teams could be sleepers in Region 3.

TCC vs. Novi CC MI should be a good one. TCC is D2 this year. Novi CC whooped Whitmer last week.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, THS2011 said:

Moeller did win on a short game. Lighting ended the game early. 

Oh.....that makes more sense.....I didn't see that mentioned a single time in any of the scores/tweets/posts I saw on that..... I was thinking the game was in Louisville too. 

Yea looks like they barely made it past half. I don't think that short games within 1-2 scores should be declared a win or loss. Should be a No Contest.

• Like 2

Cloetrain06,

Interesting daisy chains taking shape. Lutheran North played both Illinois teams pretty tough. Nazarath had their starting RB kicked out of school several days before the LN game. The Naz. DEF rose up and held LN to 112 total yds. in winning 20-6. Last week LN and H-F were tied at the half 14-14 and then H-F outscored LN 20-0 in the 2nd half to win 34-14. I know that Colerain is quite good but I don`t know about LaSalle`s win over Mason 34-21. Was that a good win? I think that LaSalle takes this 27-14.

Simeon seems to be much improved over last year...but that was a shocker ..33-6 over T-M.Simeon plays Phillips this week. Against PC Phillips had very little room for error and unfortunately hit that dead spot in the last 3 minutes of the first half and the game was over.I think that PC will win 42-7over T-M. Revenge and just a better team than T-M.

17 minutes ago, abbatt said:

Cloetrain06,

Interesting daisy chains taking shape. Lutheran North played both Illinois teams pretty tough. Nazarath had their starting RB kicked out of school several days before the LN game. The Naz. DEF rose up and held LN to 112 total yds. in winning 20-6. Last week LN and H-F were tied at the half 14-14 and then H-F outscored LN 20-0 in the 2nd half to win 34-14. I know that Colerain is quite good but I don`t know about LaSalle`s win over Mason 34-21. Was that a good win? I think that LaSalle takes this 27-14.

Simeon seems to be much improved over last year...but that was a shocker ..33-6 over T-M.Simeon plays Phillips this week. Against PC Phillips had very little room for error and unfortunately hit that dead spot in the last 3 minutes of the first half and the game was over.I think that PC will win 42-7over T-M. Revenge and just a better team than T-M.

La Salle's win over Mason is pretty solid. Mason usually plays pretty good defense, and La Salle's offense looked very shaky against Colerain, so for La Salle to score 34, it's pretty good...also, the strength of La Salle is their D, specifically their LB's... the Defense only gave up 14 to Mason, and one of those was a broken play after QB nearly sacked, then scrambled around and found a WR way downfield without a soul anywhere near him for a ~ 50 yd TD. 

I think a score of 28-14 is probably a good guess. I'd go 21-14 just because I lack confidence in the La Salle offense. 

On 9/4/2018 at 12:49 PM, Coletrain06 said:

Colerain escaped with a 14-12 win over a very good rival St. X team. It was an ugly game for both teams, but it was the Colerain defense that ended up winning this game. They forced 5 turnovers, and played very well. St. X was able to make some fantastic throws and picked up more yardage than Colerain would've liked, but most of the time, the Colerain defense was making great plays. Also on the 2nd X TD, it was just a mental breakdown where the DB let a WR get behind him because he thought another DB was there.........The Colerain offense was never able to get in a good rythym, but had moments of good plays. Most of that you can chalk up to X's Defense, but also Colerain lost their best OLinemen Rusty Feth in the first half. Also RB's Syncere Jones and JJ Davis have both been banged up, and they haven't been getting nearly as many touches as expected. This is all normal for the option offense though, and will get much better as the season progresses.

Princeton is 2-0 and under 2nd year coach Mike Daniels look to be very much on the rise. They beat Milford in week 1, and took out Withrow last week. They also did very well in scrimmages and by all reports appeared to be a better team than Moeller in their scrimmage. They strength of this team is the DLine, which has been dominant so far. Some have even suggested the best DLine in the city. The Princeton secondary is a little shaky. The Princeton offense has alot of potential, but from what I've seen, it looks like a lot of designed plays fall apart and they just enter improv mode and let their QB figure something out. 

It's good to see a resurgent Princeton team. Part of me thinks this will be a tight game because Princeton is very stout on the DLine and has good overall run defense and Colerain likes to run it, but after watching Princeton vs. Milford, it appeared that Princeton is not quite on the upper level yet. Alot of the improv plays will not work against a Colerain Defense that has forced 7 turnovers in 2 games. 

Wayne is 2-0 and has wins over Austin-East TN, and COF Academy; both were blowouts. Wayne usually always puts a solid team out there, so they should be competitive in this one. I really don't have any frame of reference for this year's Wayne team, but either: their fans are sandbagging or Wayne is down this year. 

This should be a good test to see where both teams are at. Hoban looked great Week 1 against Iggy, but after Mentor thrashed Iggy last week, I need to see Hoban against some more solid teams....I think Wayne should be a good enough team for this game, and could even end up winning....but kinda like Hoban, I need to see them against other solid teams. I think Wayne at home will keep it respectable, but will ultimately fall short. 

Mentor thrashed Iggy 28-7 last week, and at one point were up 28-0 before Iggy got on the board. Mentor QB Kipp is playing fantastic and has good chemistry with WR Floriea. The Mentor offense already appears to be in mid-season form. It's a little hard to get a good read on the Mentor Defense because Iggy seriously struggles on offense, but the Mentor defense played well. 

Glenville is 1-1 to start the season. They were hammered in week 1 42-17 to what appears to be a very good Euclid team. This past week they beat a usually tough Olentangy Liberty 19-17. 

I haven't really followed much of Glenville ever since they dropped down to D3, but they certainly aren't the powerhouse they use to be, and I think Mentor will handle them quite easily. 

Pickerington Central (2-0) @ Trotwood-Madison (1-1) - Pick Central 35 Trotwood 10

Trotwood-Madison played Simeon IL and got blown out 33-6. Trotwood lost some serious offensive talent, and are clearly not the team they were last year, but I was still shocked by this result. After beating a down, but still tough Winton Woods team in week 1, things looked good for Trotwood. Things may still be good for Trotwood and Simeon could be better than we all think. Time will tell.

I'm sure Pick Central wants revenge for Trotwood ruining their perfect season last year. Trotwood's offense doesn't seem to be anywhere close to where it was last year. Their defense still seems solid, but I think Pick Central avenges their loss from last season.

Ed's is 0-2 on 2 rough losses that could've gone the other way. This past week Ed's should've absolutely beat Cass Tech MI, but gave up a nearly 70 yard walkoff hail mary TD to lose 21-20. The Ed's defense played much better than week 1, but to give up that hail mary in the manner they did is just inexcusable. The WR just floated right behind the group of DB/WR's and went up and grabbed the pass with little trouble. The only thing that I can think of that may have happened is that the Ed's DB's didn't think the QB could get the pass there, because the pass was around 70 yards in the air! 

Cathedral Prep PA comes to town 1-1 after beating a Canadian team in Week 2, but losing 24-21 in Week 1 to Pittsburgh Central Catholic. 

I haven't been able to learn too much about Cathedral Prep this year, but I think they will be a tough matchup for Ed's. This is probably a toss up game with the Ed's that we've seen so far. If Ed's cleans up play and really starts firing on all cylinders, then Ed's should take this one. This game could be a must win for playoff hopes for Ed's.

Iggy lost to Mentor 28-7 and are now 0-2. The Iggy offense is really struggling. The defense is solid, but can't spend so much time on the field. 

Euclid has a nice 2-0 start with beatdowns of Glenville and Lorain. Euclid is a nice athletic program with good coaching that has been getting better the last couple of years. They appear to have a pretty good team this year. 

Euclid is certainly capable of taking this game, and I want to look at this as a tossup game, but past history would suggest Iggy wins this one. I'm really torn on this one.

Others: 
St. X looks very good. They have very good Line Play on both sides, and have found another outstanding QB. Their Defense is very stout. If they can clean things up, they will be very hard to beat.

Elder beat Indy Cathedral 39-34 with a TD in the last minute of the game. Elder's offense is very good, and their defense seems like a typical Elder defense that will struggle with speedy, athletic offenses. 

Moeller knocked off Trinity KY 21-14, which completely surprised me, but now Trinity sits at 0-3. Still not clear on Moeller. They should beat Scott County KY this week, but Scott should be able to keep it close.

La Salle beat Mason and will now play Lutheran North MO. Lutheran North has already played and lost to Nazareth IL and Homewood-Flossmoor IL, so this will be a fun comparison. The La Salle D, mainly the Front 7 are very good....La Salle really needs to clean up the offense and get a rythym. 

Hilliard Davidson vs. Hilliard Bradley should be a good one to keep an eye on. HD has a nice start with 2 shutouts. Both teams could be sleepers in Region 3.

TCC vs. Novi CC MI should be a good one. TCC is D2 this year. Novi CC whooped Whitmer last week.

Euclid vs Iggy should be interesting.  Iggy won 45-22 in last years playoffs.  But this year, Iggy's offense has looked anemic.  Euclid has a good chance of winning this one if Iggy doesn't step it up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Ed's up 21-3 at half over Cathedral. Eagles very much in control. 

Ignatius up 7-0 at half over Euclid. Iggy defense carrying the load.  Buckeyes are sleeping on Eichenberg. Kid is a wrecking crew. 

Yes. Good to hear up north.

Agree 100%on Eichenberg. Buckeyes missing out on a lot of local talent since #1 recruiter/former Colerain coach Kerry Coombs went up to the NFL to coach with the Titans.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:49 PM, Coletrain06 said:

Others: 

Thought the Hoban Wayne game could go either way. So far they traded punches. See what the second half brings, can Hoban keep up with Wayne’s depth as a D1. 

1 minute ago, Coletrain06 said:

Question: For national rankings purposes, is Cass Tech far better than Cathedral Prep or did Eds just play far better this week

Tech is way better.  Better athletes.  Cathedral just spreads you out and throws hail mary's.  Qb can run and that's about it. Ed's did whatever they wanted for the most part on offense in the first half that I watched.

47 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Tech is way better.  Better athletes.  Cathedral just spreads you out and throws hail mary's.  Qb can run and that's about it. Ed's did whatever they wanted for the most part on offense in the first half that I watched.

Their passing game was poor. The running back Lucas was a nice player. Not even close to Cass Tech from an overall talent perspective. 

52 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Question: For national rankings purposes, is Cass Tech far better than Cathedral Prep or did Eds just play far better this week

Ed's is getting there. Defense is coming around, but still need to clean some things up before heading to the Pit next weekend. 

4 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Mentor 42, Glenville 18

Hoban 47, Wayne 28

TCC 34, Detroit Catholic Central 10

LaSalle 13, Lutheran North (Mo.) 12 - Would like some insight on this game. Lutheran North does not appear to be a very good football team and LaSalle barely beat them. 

Mentor&Hoban top dogs in the North

PC in Central

Colerain in South