Battle of the Border

whiteshoes

Some quick thoughts after finally recovering from the drive to Shreveport:

-     A shoutout to Reb72 for providing tickets to the event and suggestions on places to eat and stay.    Still can't believe I did not eat a single mudbug the entire trip.

-     It is hot and humid in that state.     Fortunately, Friday night was very comfortable for football.    Unfortunately, the second game was delayed nearly an hour and a half due to a locker room issue.   We had to leave at halftime because it was 1:00am our time and this old guy could no longer stay awake.

-     Saw a lot of good teams, however, they did not play each other.    Aledo (TX), Horn Lake (MS), and North Little Rock (AR) were very impressive.    Shreveport Evangel Christian has a very good quarterback.    Tulsa Booker T. Washington did not show very much.     Bishop Lynch should warm up before the game and McGill-Toolen made the worst decision to protect a lead with under a minute to go that I have ever seen.    West Monroe has the greatest half time show and John Curtis plays too conservative.   

-   The crowds were disappointing.    Keep in mind that they play at the Independence Bowl which seats 63,000 people.    Tulsa BT Washington only had about 25 people and Bentonville only had about 100 people.    Even the local teams did not seem to draw a lot.    I compare this to the old Herbstreit days when the crowds at Nippert would fill the bottom rung of the stadium.     Sometimes it felt like we were at a practice game.

-   Did not see the Dunne-Byrd game, by that time my buddy had had enough high school football and we were facing a sixteen hour drive home.    Did meet a local fellow who we chatted with throughout the weekend who provided some insight into some of the games.

-   Will probably return some day, hopefully the match-ups will be better and the weather cooler.   

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

I didn't go this year (Scheduling conflicts with post office jobs).

As for the crowds...Yep..Disappointing as usual.  It's why Shreveport struggles to keep minor league sports teams.

As for the teams:

Curtis do what Curtis do...Don't expect anything different.

Evangel has a good QB?  This is news...What are the issues you saw???  (Playcalling, Line-Play, etc?)

Aledo was the most likely the best there (Saw them DESTROY Guyer in prrson the week prior).

1 hour ago, whiteshoes said:

The crowds were disappointing.    Keep in mind that they play at the Independence Bowl which seats 63,000 people.    Tulsa BT Washington only had about 25 people and Bentonville only had about 100 people.    Even the local teams did not seem to draw a lot.    I compare this to the old Herbstreit days when the crowds at Nippert would fill the bottom rung of the stadium.     Sometimes it felt like we were at a practice game.

I think the travel distance has something to do with it.  It is 5 hours for John Curtis and it was 10 hours for us last year and the attendance reflected that.  I don't remember who was in the game before us but it wasn't well attended nor did the game after us appear to be crowding in.  I doubt there is a hard core enough local base to provide more HS football fans that just like to watch good football to add many spectators.  It must be the TV money that keeps it going.

10 minutes ago, Fred said:

I think the travel distance has something to do with it.  It is 5 hours for John Curtis and it was 10 hours for us last year and the attendance reflected that.  I don't remember who was in the game before us but it wasn't well attended nor did the game after us appear to be crowding in.  I doubt there is a hard core enough local base to provide more HS football fans that just like to watch good football to add many spectators.  It must be the TV money that keeps it going.

Did not think it was televised.    I base that on no long time outs or a TV guy on the field.  A local car dealership, Landers Chrysler, seemed to be the sponsor.

1 hour ago, Frosty4024 said:

I didn't go this year (Scheduling conflicts with post office jobs).

As for the crowds...Yep..Disappointing as usual.  It's why Shreveport struggles to keep minor league sports teams.

As for the teams:

Curtis do what Curtis do...Don't expect anything different.

Evangel has a good QB?  This is news...What are the issues you saw???  (Playcalling, Line-Play, etc?)

Aledo was the most likely the best there (Saw them DESTROY Guyer in prrson the week prior).

Again only saw the first half due to delay between games, but I thought the QB for Evangel kept them in the game against North Little Rock.    He converted several pass plays on critical third downs with crisp passes that were right on target.

6 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

Did not think it was televised.    I base that on no long time outs or a TV guy on the field.  A local car dealership, Landers Chrysler, seemed to be the sponsor.

Obviously since I was there I didn't watch it but I thought it was on some type of TV.  Too many people commented on what they saw in our game and I know they weren't there, at least not on our side.  I knew everyone on our side at least by face.  Now I'm not so sure based on your comments.

Hope you enjoyed the event, sorry we didn't get to meet up. I was only there for West Monroe's game and had to get back since we were leaving on a cruise.  Wish I could say say it's beautiful here in Cozumel this morning but not so much today... tropical depression trying to form just off the Yucatan 

3 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Some quick thoughts after finally recovering from the drive to Shreveport:

-     A shoutout to Reb72 for providing tickets to the event and suggestions on places to eat and stay.    Still can't believe I did not eat a single mudbug the entire trip.

-     It is hot and humid in that state.     Fortunately, Friday night was very comfortable for football.    Unfortunately, the second game was delayed nearly an hour and a half due to a locker room issue.   We had to leave at halftime because it was 1:00am our time and this old guy could no longer stay awake.

-     Saw a lot of good teams, however, they did not play each other.    Aledo (TX), Horn Lake (MS), and North Little Rock (AR) were very impressive.    Shreveport Evangel Christian has a very good quarterback.    Tulsa Booker T. Washington did not show very much.     Bishop Lynch should warm up before the game and McGill-Toolen made the worst decision to protect a lead with under a minute to go that I have ever seen.    West Monroe has the greatest half time show and John Curtis plays too conservative.   

-   The crowds were disappointing.    Keep in mind that they play at the Independence Bowl which seats 63,000 people.    Tulsa BT Washington only had about 25 people and Bentonville only had about 100 people.    Even the local teams did not seem to draw a lot.    I compare this to the old Herbstreit days when the crowds at Nippert would fill the bottom rung of the stadium.     Sometimes it felt like we were at a practice game.

-   Did not see the Dunne-Byrd game, by that time my buddy had had enough high school football and we were facing a sixteen hour drive home.    Did meet a local fellow who we chatted with throughout the weekend who provided some insight into some of the games.

-   Will probably return some day, hopefully the match-ups will be better and the weather cooler.   

We always win halftime, and you didn't even get to see the show... they couldn't do the real show because of the rain possibly running some of the instruments  :)