TX Week 3 Games of Interest

DevilDog

When was the last time a Texas 3A vs. 4A is one of the most hyped games in the State? 

Per the Beaumont Enterprise Newton is the #1 Team in S.E. Texas Regardless of Class and favored in this one. 

Their top 10. 

1. 3A Newton 2. PAM 5ADI 3. Woodville 3ADI 4. Nederland 5ADII 5. Jasper 4ADII 6. WOS 4ADII 7. Vidor 5ADII 8.  East Chambers 3ADI 9. Westbrook 6A 10. PNG 5ADII 

Rivals Newton, West Orange-Stark compete for bragging rights in ‘the 409’

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Rivals-Newton-West-Orange-Stark-compete-for-13228000.php

The rivalry between the West Orange-Stark and Newton football programs is like a good marriage.

They bring out the best in each other. They respect each other. And most importantly, they need each other.

Southeast Texas’ two most successful programs of the past decade — they’re the area’s only two state champions during that time — have recently found themselves on opposite sidelines because few teams are willing to play them and face the likelihood of losing.

Newton couldn’t even fill its non-district schedule for the next two seasons after winning state last year. West Orange-Stark has consistently dealt with the same problem having made four consecutive state appearances.

Their intimidating level of success has allowed for the evolution an entertaining and high-level non-district rivalry, which has become for bragging rights for the best in Southeast Texas.

“It’s so hard for both of us to find games,” Newton coach W.T. Johnston said. “It kind of just makes sense for the two teams, who are successful and have a lot of tradition, to play each other.”

“Of course this game is for bragging rights,” said Newton senior linebacker Jadrian McGraw, who had 20 tackles in last week’s win over Silsbee. “At the end of the day, this is the game for the crown of who the best team is in the 409.”

“Newton is good competition,” West Orange-Stark senior linebacker Lande Butler said. “We’re trying not to make it more than what it is, but they’re a good team.”

http://etsn.fm/preview-newton-west-orange-stark-meet-in-much-hyped-matchup/

• Newton and West Orange-Stark have not met since 2015, when the Mustangs won, 48-6.
  • The series is 1-1-1 since 2004 with the tie being 0-0 in 2004.
  • Newton has won its first two games by a combined 113 points for an average margin of 56.5 points.
  • West Orange-Stark previously held the longest active winning streak in Texas (40 games) before Pleasant Grove snapped it in the state championship game this past season.
  • The teams have combined for eight state championships (four each).
  • Newton has six players on its roster with Division I FBS scholarship offers.
  • Players to watch
    Newton

ATH Josh Foster, Sr., 6-2, 190 (17-of-23, 413 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT; 115 rushing yds, TD)
    RB Darwin Barlow, Sr., 5-11, 200 (21 carries, 466 yds, 6 TDs; 1 catch, 2 yards)
    WR/DB Tamauzia Brown, Sr., 6-2, 177 (11 catches, 221 yds, TD; 60 rushing yds, 2 TDs;1 INT)
    WR Dominique Seastrunk (5 catches, 126 yds, TD)
    RB Valdarion Fowler, Jr., 5-9, 170 (5 carries, 87 yards, 2 TDs)
    DL James Sylvester, Jr., 6-5, 240
    LB Jadrian McGraw, Sr., 6-0, 210 (28 tackles)
    OL/DL Kristian Paulette, Sr., 5-10, 190 (7 tackles, 1 fumble recovery)

• West Orange-Stark

QB Jerren Terrell, So., 6-1, 180 (9-of-11, 196 yards, 3 TDs)
    RB/LB Kavyn Cooper, Sr., 5-9, 178 (10 carries, 85 yards)
    RB Justin Sibley, Sr., 5-8, 170 (15 carries, 57 yards)
    WR/RB Javonn Ross, Sr., 5-9, 165 (10 carries, 98 yards, 1 catch 21 yards)
    OL/DL Quincy Ledet, Jr., 6-2, 255
    OL JaCorry Brady, Sr., 5-11, 255
    DB Teshaun Teel, Sr., 6-0, 180

Key matchup: West Orange-Stark defense against the Newton offense. Newton has put up huge numbers in the first two weeks. The Eagles are averaging 63.5 points though the first two games. Darwin Barlow has rushed for 466 yards already. Josh Foster has two reliable weapons in Tamauzia Brown and Dominique Seastrunk. The Eagles also have a Division I-caliber offensive lineman in Caiden Walker.

It will be near impossible for anyone to completely stop this offense, but West Orange-Stark has perhaps the best chance of any team this season to slow it down. The Mustangs have Kavyn Cooper and Teshaun Feel back to lead the defense. They will need big games from both if they hope to come away with a victory. WOS has only given up 19 points this season, all coming in a Week 1 loss to Nederland.

If the Mustangs can get a few stops, they will have a better chance at pulling off the upset.

Don't be surprised if: This is Newton's closest game of the season. Outside of Gilmer on Sept. 28, the Eagles have few other legitimate chances to lose.  WOS is a perennial power and will have plenty of reason to play well given the hype Newton has gotten thus far.

The Mustangs have several playmakers on offense, too. Kavyn Cooper is only getting started after missing Week 1 with an injury. He rushed for 85 yards on 10 carries in Week 2 and will likely see a bigger workload in this game. Jerren Terrell has looked solid at quarterback and will hope to continue that success against Newton.

This game looks to be one of the better matchups this season, and Newton could lose if it isn't careful.

6A Ranked Desoto vs. Ranked TAPPS Bishop Dunne 

By the time DeSoto had selected Mike Robinson as its new head coach in late February, the program had already finalized its 2018 schedule.

The slate included two private school teams in non-district play. And though Robinson said the previous DeSoto staff organized the contests, his team had no qualms about facing the selective competition.

“I don’t look at it as private schools [or not],” Robinson said. “It’s a football team. Public, private, it’s football, and that’s the way I feel.”

DeSoto’s two-game stretch started against Jesuit last Friday, when severe weather and thunderstorms across the Dallas area forced many games into postponement or cancellation. DeSoto and Jesuit made it through almost two quarters before entering a weather delay and deciding to end the game a 20-10 DeSoto victory.

While Jesuit is one of two Texas private schools in the UIL, Bishop Dunne -- DeSoto’s opponent at 2 p.m. Saturday -- is not. Some public teams around the area and state choose not to play private schools, which don’t require students to meet residential boundaries to more easily select players.

Dunne enters the game 1-1 after splitting match-ups with two Louisiana schools and features some of the state’s top talent, including defensive back Brian Williams, the No. 1 player in the SportsDayHS Top 100 for 2019.

But DeSoto, the 2016 Class 6A, Div. II state champion, is confident, Robinson said, with quarterback Shun’Darion Ward acclimating well to his new starting role and a deep defense.

“If [private schools] feel comfortable playing bigger public schools, then OK,” Robinson said. “It’s two football teams, and just because one you pay tuition at and one you don’t ... it’s just football.”

http://etsn.fm/whitehouse-drops-first-game-of-season-to-melissa-27-23/

4A Power Melissa Took down 5A Power Whitehouse Last Night 27 -23 and Whitehouse made it Close at the end. 

Melissa led 21 - 7 at one point.  Only Allen can match this team in the DFW at QB, RB an WR.  4A top to bottom has the deepest 15 teams in the State.  They are spanking TAPPS and 5A.  Deion better get that little loaded TAPPS Trinity Christian ready the come to Melissa on the 21st.  What's funny Melissa isn't even a top 10 Team in 4A.  But that is a good looking 4A squad here in Texas among Texas Teams. 🤣

#6Huntsville vs #5 College Station.

Huntsville seems to be turning back the clock to their glory years from the 90s. They went in to PNG and straight up dominated them with a very tough and physical defensive effort last week. We'll see if they continue to rise.

#1Allen vs #17 Coppell

I know everyone already knows about this game, but let me say this: North Shore is the real deal this year. Allen had better not show any kinks in their armor this year. I'm expecting a solid (not blowout) win from them in this game, even if Coppell usually plays them tough. This will be one of the the games I watch this week. Haven't seen them play a full game yet.

North Shore straight up kicked Westfeild's ass last night (35 - 3), and I can't remember the last time they got a beating like that. That was one of my games of the week. So much for that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Champa said:

#6Huntsville vs #5 College Station.

Huntsville seems to be turning back the clock to their glory years from the 90s. They went in to PNG and straight up dominated them with a very tough and physical defensive effort last week. We'll see if they continue to rise.

#1Allen vs #17 Coppell

I know everyone already knows about this game, but let me say this: North Shore is the real deal this year. Allen had better not show any kinks in their armor this year. I'm expecting a solid (not blowout) win from them in this game, even if Coppell usually plays them tough. This will be one of the the games I watch this week. Haven't seen them play a full game yet.

North Shore straight up kicked Westfeild's ass last night (35 - 3), and I can't remember the last time they got a beating like that. That was one of my games of the week. So much for that.

Yep, Allen vs coppell is mine too.  This game will tell me a lot about Allen.

28 minutes ago, Champa said:

Anyone who wants to listen to the Newton/WO-S game, go here: http://www.setxsports.com/ip/index.php?/topic/144762-newton-at-west-orange-stark-broadcasttonight-at-705/

Take your pick if you want to hear it from a WOS or Newton point of view.

and thank God if finally stopped raining.

I was just about to post it myself.  I got Newton 30 - 14.  

https://www.meridix.com/event/138345

Newton had a chance to go up by either 14 or 10 towards the end in the second quarter. Hope that doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Also, we got ourselves a nail biter in Katy. Katy 63 Mexico City whatever 0 in the 3rd.

One game that has caught my eye:

#1 Brock 0

Argyle Liberty Christian 21.

Don't know a thing about ALC. I'm assuming they recruit.

5 minutes ago, Champa said:

Newton had a chance to go up by either 14 or 10 towards the end in the second quarter. Hope that doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Also, we got ourselves a nail biter in Katy. Katy 63 Mexico City whatever 0 in the 3rd.

#1 Brock 0

Just know that 2 weeks ago I watched 4A Power Melissa smoke them.  Liberty Christian is pretty good and ranked high in TAPPS DI.  Brock is 3A Power that is hanging tough and will not quit I will assure you of that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Champa said:

#1 Brock 0

This game has been called weather and L.C. up 21-0.  

Gotta feel sorry for all the other 3A D2 teams. Barring injuries, no team is coming within 3 touchdowns of Newton this year.

Just looking over local scores now. Beaumont Westbrook got a nice win over Houston Lamar. Don't think that's ever happened before. Too bad for them they're in the same district with North Shore.

My Tigers almost got a win. Silsbee 14 Nederland 21. I guess that's something to hang on to. Who am I kidding. It basketball season yet 😑

Look out for Port Arthur Memorial. Could be a sleeper team to make some noise in 5A. Expect them to have their way with United tomorrow.