Ohio Week 6 Discussion

OdbCle

I believe Coletrain06 said he's on the road this week, so I'll start the thread.  I don't have the time to give as thorough a breakdown like C-Train usually does, but here are the top games this week.

Austintown-Fitch @ Massillon: not a huge game by any means, but more of a litmus test to see where each teams stands. Fitch is sporting a 4-1 record and looks in solid position for a post-season appearance, but it's largely fools gold with the competition they've faced. WGH gave them a beatdown a few weeks back, and Massillon handled WGH with ease. Massillon has not faced murderer's row either, but they've been dominating every opponent as they should.  Fitch has a solid defense, but struggled against WGH's athletes. Massillon has even better ones. Tigers should take this one decisively as well. 

Strongsville @ Euclid: again, not a game that registers a huge pulse, but will have playoff implications.  Euclid has rebounded nicely since their awful effort against Ignatius in which their controversial head coach was serving a one-game suspension. The talent for Euclid is undeniable, but so is their lack of discipline.  Strongsville got off to a surprise 3-0 start, but has dropped their last two to the top teams in the GCC, Mentor and Solon.  The Solon game was tight. In the end, I think the talent of Euclid playing at home will prevail.  

Pick North @ Reynoldsburg: I really know nothing about Reynoldsburg other than the fact that they are 5-0 and have some believers in the Columbus area. Don't count me in that group as they have played no one to date. North is coming off a close loss to Coffman, and certainly has the horses to play with most of the top teams in the state. I think it's reality check time for Reynoldsburg. 

TCC @ Whitmer: the top two Toledo-area teams square off this week. Whitmer lost some of their hype as a top 10 D1 team after getting steam-rolled by DCC.  On the flipside, TCC opened up some eyes after laying it on DCC one week later.  I think Whitmer gets up for this game in front of their home crowd, but in the end TCC just has better horses.  

Kettering Fairmont @ Miamisburg: this is more of a R3 seeding game.  Fairmont's only blemish is to a very solid Northmont squad.  Miamisburg is 5-0 and starting to garner some attention after decisive victories over Wayne and Troy, looking like a legit player in the R3 chase. I'll go with Miamisburg at home. 

Moeller @ LaSalle: both GCL teams come into this game with some good momentum.  LaSalle may have found their offense while Moeller is still a question mark on that side of the ball.  Both defenses having been playing great.  I like the Lancers in dog fight.  

X @ Elder: Elder seems to be reeling a bit after back-to-back losses to the NEO catholic powers.  The Purple Nation was very critical of Ramsey after the trip to Cleveland where a stingy Ignatius defense put the clamps on their high-powered offense. In fact, a late fourth quarter TD was their first once since the 2nd quarter of the Ed's game. The 3-3 defense took away their bread and butter underneath routes.  Now they get to play the team which Ignatius adopted their defense from in St. X, which looks to be operating it at a very high level. If there is any saving grace for Elder, it's that the X offense is reeling worse than theirs is.  I'm really torn on this game, but with the power of the Pit behind them, I think they rectify things and come away with the victory. 

Other games involving top teams:

Colerain v. Hamilton  

Pick Central v. Gahanna Lincoln

Hoban v. Benedictine 

Ed's  Buchtel

Ignatius v. Football North (Clarkson)

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

I like the TCC - Whitmer game the best besides the 2 GCL games otherwise not great games in Ohio this week

although one game you might have missed is Indy Chatard (6-0)vs Winton Woods (4-1)  , these are 2 good teams with 2 good records

Chatard has beat Indy Cathedral 17-14. IC lost to Elder 39-34 but beat X in OT

Winton Woods lost their opening game to Trotwood and since have dominated their opponents

so just doing my part as my friend Colerain hikes the trail this week. Make sure your IPAs are good and your stash is safe!😆

• Like 1

Final: Pick Central 27, Gahanna Lincoln 13 

Pick Central controlled the game throughout, but not quite the convincing win you'd expect from a team garnering top 25 national status. It was 21-13 in the final minute of the game before they punched in the final TD. Things actually got chippy as GL had no timeouts left and PC had the opportunity to just run the clock out.  

Gahanna Lincoln usually has some quality athletes, but not on PC's level. Elder dominated them 31-0 back in week one.  I think PC misses that dominating o-line from last year, and don't consider them the caliber of team they were last year on a national scale. 

2 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Final: Pick Central 27, Gahanna Lincoln 13 

Pick Central controlled the game throughout, but not quite the convincing win you'd expect from a team garnering top 25 national status. It was 21-13 in the final minute of the game before they punched in the final TD. Things actually got chippy as GL had no timeouts left and PC had the opportunity to just run the clock out.  

Gahanna Lincoln usually has some quality athletes, but not on PC's level. Elder dominated them 31-0 back in week one.  I think PC misses that dominating o-line from last year, and don't consider them the caliber of team they were last year on a national scale. 

I've been thinking that all season.....still a very good team with their athletes, but I see no justification for their high national recognition over teams like Mentor, Colerain, and Hoban. I'd probably even pick Eds right now if I had to put money on it.

La Salle vs. Moeller - La Salle 17 Moe 14

La Salle has looked better on offense the last couple weeks. Their Defense has been great all season. ......Moeller has surprised by playing very good defense. Their offense has improved, but not by a whole lot. Moe really frustrated X last week by putting pressure on the QB. La Salle doesn't have a great OLine, so this could really frustrate the Lancers......Overall I think this is a low scoring toss up, but La Salle has more big play potential and Moe will struggle to score on La Salle's LB's. 

Elder vs. St. X - St. X 20 Elder 14

Elder really struggled last week against Iggy's defense. Iggy took away the middle underneath routes and made Elder throw wide or deep.....St. X just keeps shooting themselves in the foot and can't figure things out. Ever since the 2nd half against Colerain, when Colerain started blitzing and putting pressure on Hudepohl, it seems that X hasn't been able to come up with answer for this yet. Moeller really employed this strategy well........This is a toss up game. This could actually be a very important game for each teams playoff hopes. If Elder can't get much pressure on Hudepohl, I'll take X. 

St. Ignatius vs. Clarkson North ON - Iggy 21 Clarkson 10

Iggy looked very good defensively against Elder...their offense is improving. Eichenberg is a monster, and a complete game changer......Clarkson North is like the IMG of Canada. A lot of athletes. They played close games against Moeller(27-13) and Elder(21-14), and have won their last 2 games against Erie PA and a solid Lorain team.......Iggy cannot afford to overlook Carkson North. Each year Clarkson gets closer and closer to knocking off a top OH team. 

Others:

Colerain really starting to look dangerous. Defense playing lights out all year: Turnover count is up to 13.....Offense really mixing it up nicely. QB DSM is simply playing a level above everyone else. Over the last 3 weeks he has 7 rushing TD's and 9 Passing TD's......yes you read that correctly, Colerain has 9 passing TD's over the last 3 games! Colerain hasn't really even used their 3 best offensive weapons much at all yet this year.

Mentor just keeps rolling. playing great offense and solid defense.

Hoban doing the same. Really took it to SVSM last week.

Pick Central taken to OT last week against a tough Hilliard Davidson team. HD fumble in OT really helped Pick Central.....Last night was in a dogfight with a Gahanna Lincoln team that has already been blown out by Elder and Dublin Coffman. Pick Central closer to the middle pack of teams than the top teams IMO.

St. Edward gets back into action this week after cancelled game last week.

TCC is really rolling along destroying everybody. They play against Whitmer this week, but after Whitmer was blown out by Novi CC, TCC turned around and pummeled Novi CC. Don't think Whitmer hangs with TCC this year.

Massillon is rolling right along like TCC. They play a solid Austintown-Fitch team this week, but I don't think it'll be close

17 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

so just doing my part as my friend Colerain hikes the trail this week. Make sure your IPAs are good and your stash is safe!😆

haha not a smoker.......and couldn't buy any beer in GA on Sunday 😒..........had some Bourbon and vodka on the trail.......had to wait til after the hike to get an ice cold IPA!

• Like 1