Ohio Week 6 Discussion

OdbCle

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

Assuming Pick Central or HD win R3, and Coffman or Reynoldsburg win R2.............the semi matchups could be interesting.......Location/Proximity could give us R2 vs R4 and R1 vs R3

Did I miss something, are they potentially switching the semi match-ups this year if proximity is an issue? 

2 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Did I miss something, are they potentially switching the semi match-ups this year if proximity is an issue? 

The semis are never set in stone. Generally the Ohsaa have the closest teams play each other. Which is usually always R1 vs R2 & R3 vs R4.......but there's odd possibilities where it could switch. This year could be interesting

Here are my power rankings with week 6 in the books. 

1. Mentor - I'm bumping the NEO Cards up as the Ed's and Ignatius victories continue to look more impressive, as well as the complete domination of every other opponent in the GCC.  This isn't the most talented skill group they've ever put out (although Kipp and Trobel are very good), but it's by far the best O and D lines they've had, and that wins games in November and December.  Showdowns with Solon and Euclid loom on the horizon, and it they take care of those two they will probably close as my #1 team.

2. Hoban - another week, another decisive victory against an over-matched opponent.  Can we get to the final four already? 

3. Colerain - The SWO Cards have been equally as dominant, but don't have the resume that Mentor currently has. The LaSalle victory is still impressive despite their recent set-back to Moeller, but the St. X. victory has completely lost its luster. Two solid opponents remain in Mason and Fairfield, but I expect Colerain's dominance of the GMC to continue. 

4. Pick Central - I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here as they maintain an unblemished record and clearly have talent, but they have just not been as impressive as last year's bunch. Certainly not the top team in the state as the pollsters suggest. Big games against Pick North and Reynoldsburg remain which can bump their resume. 

5. St. Edward - I'd probably take Ed's over Pick Central on a neutral field right now, but the Eagles have not been tested in the last two weeks with a cancelled game against COF Academy and an easy victory over Buchtel.  Should be well rested as they play host to a solid Indy Cathedral squad this week. Moe and Iggy remain in the final two weeks as well. They have been experimenting with some different personnel looks on defense to bring more sideline speed to the front seven, the one glaring weakness on this team. Still work to be done to secure a week 11 home game and make a post-season run. 

6. St. Ignatius - maybe a little generous as their offense is still a work in progress, but the defense is playing great right now. OSU finally wised up and offered Eichenberg, who is dominating at his LB position as well as any defensive player in the state. They essentially shut out Elder until a late garbage time TD. Yes, the same-day 4 hour trip probably played a role, but to shutdown that Elder offense speaks volumes. 

7. Elder - the offense can be deadly when firing on all cylinders as we saw in the 50 point explosion against X. The Bittner to Trischler combination is as good as any QB-WR combo in the state.  Defense isn't great, but is opportunistic.  

8. Moeller - defense has looked top notch, but they haven't really seen a top tier offense yet. They get one this week in a showdown with Elder that could determine the top team in the GCL-S. 

9. Massillon - still quite talented, still untested. An always athletic East St. Louis (IL) team comes to Tigertown this week in what should be their stiffest test to date from a talent/speed perspective. Other than that, only rival McKinley (a surprise 6-0 team so far) stands in their way of an undefeated season.

10. TCC - impressive shutout of Whitmer this week.  Rest of schedule should be cannon fodder. Again, just get me to the D2 final four already.  

On the bubble: Dublin Coffman, LaSalle, Reynoldsburg, Hilliard Davidson

Others rounding out the top 25: Solon, Euclid, Springfield, Fairfield, Pick North, Fairmont, Northmont, Miamisburg, Winton Woods, Wayne, Trotwood 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

This would be my top teams right now

Mentor

Colerain 

Hoban

Pick Central 

St. Edward

St. Ignatius

Elder

TCC 

Massillon

Moeller

Tons of teams knocking on the door.

Despite their loss, I have a feeling that Hilliard Davidson should be in there somewhere.  Everey once in a blue moon, they find a way to win a state title.

Sorry guys but StX is not dead.  4 games left and they get in to playoffs with 6-4 record.  Travel out North Bend Friday, and beat LaSalle and finish with 3 at home (Canada North, St. Ignatius, and Lou StX.)  

Hard to watch 2nd half at Elder... everything went down hill after simple swing pass goes for TD...  No excuse.  One bad half.

They lack confidence on Offense... absolutely no flow to the offense, plays coming in late, predictable.   Total 180 from game against Colerain.

Defense was terrible in 2nd half at Elder.  Cannot remember a StX defense giving up 4 TD's in a Qtr, and I have been watching them for 4 decades.

I will guarantee you that the X team that shows up at LaSalle Friday,  will not be the same team that played at Elder last Friday.

1 hour ago, prepsbill65 said:

Sorry guys but StX is not dead.  4 games left and they get in to playoffs with 6-4 record.  Travel out North Bend Friday, and beat LaSalle and finish with 3 at home (Canada North, St. Ignatius, and Lou StX.)  

Hard to watch 2nd half at Elder... everything went down hill after simple swing pass goes for TD...  No excuse.  One bad half.

They lack confidence on Offense... absolutely no flow to the offense, plays coming in late, predictable.   Total 180 from game against Colerain.

Defense was terrible in 2nd half at Elder.  Cannot remember a StX defense giving up 4 TD's in a Qtr, and I have been watching them for 4 decades.

I will guarantee you that the X team that shows up at LaSalle Friday,  will not be the same team that played at Elder last Friday.

It was bad.  It was unbelievable.  Everything Elder did offensively worked in the second half.

3 hours ago, ohio said:

Despite their loss, I have a feeling that Hilliard Davidson should be in there somewhere.  Everey once in a blue moon, they find a way to win a state title.

They are right there with a handful of teams knocking on the door. The 1 pt win over Olentangy Liberty is the biggest case against them right now, otherwise they'd be higher

What's up everyone, been casually coming here to read the Ohio threads during the year and finally wanted to jump in. Pick Central alum here. While I definitely think this years team is missing the talent and experience of last years senior class(oline mainly), this years group is starting to gel. The  last few years, Central hasn't gotten rolling and in sync till week 9 or 10, then they turn it up come post season (as most top teams do). Last year was a perfect example. The Central team from week 5 or 6 would have been run over by the team that showed up in week 14 and 15 and I think they are shaping up very similarly so far this year. Reynoldsburg is legit (big up front, very athletic everywhere) and will give them everything they can handle. Then there's obviously the showdown with Pick North coming up so we'll see what this years team is made off in the coming weeks. 

As for the Gahanna game, I think it's important to take into account that Central's field is an absolute mess. Between the multiple JV and varsity soccer games there weekly, football games, and the stadium being in a flood zone, its essentially a giant mud pit with patches of grass scattered over it. The creek behind the stadium regularly floods and is why we aren't allowed turf.  The TV commentators couldn't stop talking about how bad it looks. There was a steady rain all through warm ups then off and on during the game, which definitely made things uglier and closer than they most likely would have been. Not an excuse, Gahanna had to play in the same conditions, they treat that game like a rivalry and were definitely "up" for it, but I think on turf or even a better grass field, its probably a wider margin in the box score. Central was up 21-3 with 6mins to go and basically on cruise control before a botched punt snap turned into safety, followed up by a deep ball to make it close. 

I think its 1A)Colerain,1B)Mentor, and 3) Central in D1 right now, but the next few weeks will clear up a lot. Especially in Central Ohio. 

Just my two cents fellas, hope I didn't come off like a homer. Cheers!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JYDgrad said:

What's up everyone, been casually coming here to read the Ohio threads during the year and finally wanted to jump in. Pick Central alum here. While I definitely think this years team is missing the talent and experience of last years senior class(oline mainly), this years group is starting to gel. The  last few years, Central hasn't gotten rolling and in sync till week 9 or 10, then they turn it up come post season (as most top teams do). Last year was a perfect example. The Central team from week 5 or 6 would have been run over by the team that showed up in week 14 and 15 and I think they are shaping up very similarly so far this year. Reynoldsburg is legit (big up front, very athletic everywhere) and will give them everything they can handle. Then there's obviously the showdown with Pick North coming up so we'll see what this years team is made off in the coming weeks. 

As for the Gahanna game, I think it's important to take into account that Central's field is an absolute mess. Between the multiple JV and varsity soccer games there weekly, football games, and the stadium being in a flood zone, its essentially a giant mud pit with patches of grass scattered over it. The creek behind the stadium regularly floods and is why we aren't allowed turf.  The TV commentators couldn't stop talking about how bad it looks. There was a steady rain all through warm ups then off and on during the game, which definitely made things uglier and closer than they most likely would have been. Not an excuse, Gahanna had to play in the same conditions, they treat that game like a rivalry and were definitely "up" for it, but I think on turf or even a better grass field, its probably a wider margin in the box score. Central was up 21-3 with 6mins to go and basically on cruise control before a botched punt snap turned into safety, followed up by a deep ball to make it close. 

I think its 1A)Colerain,1B)Mentor, and 3) Central in D1 right now, but the next few weeks will clear up a lot. Especially in Central Ohio. 

Just my two cents fellas, hope I didn't come off like a homer. Cheers!

Welcome man! Good take and it's definitely always refreshing to get some more Ohio voices in the mix.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

Bombers have some soul searching to do after that Elder debacle. Despite the 50+ points, I have no doubt the X defense can rebound. It's the offense that has to figure something out (and fast).  With the way they are playing, good luck scoring on LaSalle and Ignatius. 

On 10/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, OdbCle said:

....4. Pick Central - I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here as they maintain an unblemished record and clearly have talent, but they have just not been as impressive as last year's bunch. Certainly not the top team in the state as the pollsters suggest. Big games against Pick North and Reynoldsburg remain which can bump their resume. .....

Guys....flying cross country to home in Central Ohio the weekend of Oct 12-14 for some family business. Since Picktown is close to where I will be with my family thought I might take in the Pickerington Central-North Game. Would appreciate any insights you might want to share about either team, coaches and players to watch. Should be a fun game with cross town rivalries. Thanks in advance and enjoy following this thread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, concrete17 said:

Guys....flying cross country to home in Central Ohio the weekend of Oct 12-14 for some family business. Since Picktown is close to where I will be with my family thought I might take in the Pickerington Central-North Game. Would appreciate any insights you might want to share about either team, coaches and players to watch. Should be a fun game with cross town rivalries. Thanks in advance and enjoy following this thread.

Definitely a lot of talent to watch when these two rivals square off.  Both schools have become sought after destinations for Columbus-area talent, drawing the ire of some neighboring towns (and each other).  

Central is headlined by dual-threat QB Demeatric Crenshaw ('20), and also has a couple D1 commits on the DL in seniors Dewayne Carter (Duke) and Karter Johnson (TCU). Senior DB Jaquwan Crawford is also a D1 prospect. 

For North, QB Mike Lowery, LB Ben Johnson (Ohio U), TE Tyler Foster (Ohio U), WR Chris Scott ('20), DT Trent Robinson ('20), DE Jack Sawyer (considered one of, if not the top prospect from the class of '21 ). 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Definitely a lot of talent to watch when these two rivals square off.  Both schools have become sought after destinations for Columbus-area talent, drawing the ire of some neighboring towns (and each other).  

Central is headlined by dual-threat QB Demeatric Crenshaw ('20), and also has a couple D1 commits on the DL in seniors Dewayne Carter (Duke) and Karter Johnson (TCU). Senior DB Jaquwan Crawford is also a D1 prospect. 

For North, QB Mike Lowery, LB Ben Johnson (Ohio U), TE Tyler Foster (Ohio U), WR Chris Scott ('20), DT Trent Robinson ('20), DE Jack Sawyer (considered one of, if not the top prospect from the class of '21 ). 

Thanks Odbcle.....I'll be the guy up in the stands watching this game with a print out of your post. Pretty pumped to see some good Oh-10 HS football. Graduated nearby from HS in the '70's (twentieth century) and going thru Picktown was a shortcut  to Columbus: never dreamed one day that same shortcut would become a destination.