Ohio Week 7 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Colerain (6-0) @ Mason (5-1) - Colerain 38 Mason 14

Colerain is just rolling right along, and their triple option offense is really starting to gain momentum. The Cards have started slinging the ball around quite effectively throwing 11 TD passes in the past 4 games. Colerains 2 RB's are still not 100% but they hope to be close to 100% in time for the Playoffs. The Colerain Defense is Dominating everbody. The turnover count is now up to 16.

Mason is 5-1 with their only loss coming to La Salle. Mason's best win was against Rival Sycamore in OT. Mason plays solid Defense and is big on both Lines. Mason's offense has struggled at times but is getting better every week. 

Mason has played Colerain tougher than all of the other GMC schools over the last handful of years. Still, with Mason's struggling offense going up against the Colerain D, Mason will probably not score more than 14. Mason may be able to slow down the Colerain offense for a half, but by games end, it should be a comfortable win for Colerain.

St. Edward (3-2) vs. Cathedral IN (4-3) - Ed's 30 Cathedral 21

Ed's has been on a roll ever since they gave up that walk off hail mary to Cass Tech. They handled Buchtel 42-7 last week. 

Cathedral is 4-3 but has played a tough schedule so far and all 3 of their losses were close games. Their 3 losses were to: undefeated Brownsburg, Elder, and Bishop Chatard (whom just lost their first game to Winton Woods last week.) In addition Cathedral beat St. X in OT and have handled all of their other opponents.

I really like games like these in the middle of the year. Both teams had some setbacks early in the season, but both seem to be finding their way now. If Eds is really progressing the way I think they are, they should pull away in the 2nd half of this game.

Elder (4-2) vs. Moeller (5-1) @Nippert - Elder 28 Moeller 17

Elder put on a very impresssive performance against St. X winning 51-26 and racking up 569 yds of offense. It's quite a contrast from the week before when Elder struggled to score against Iggy. I give a lot of credit to Coach Ramsey, as he is one of the best coaches around at offensive gameplanning and making adjustments. 

Moeller was in an expected defensive battle with La Salle and won in OT. Both team's defenses forced the other into making dumb mistakes. Neither offense was very impressive. Moe is getting much better on the Lines and are able to run the ball better. 

Elder has a very good QB in Bittner and good WR's, especially Trischler. They always know where they need to be. I think the Elder offense will be hard to slow down without a top notch Defense. Moe's defense is good, but I don't think they can keep Elder under 21, and I also don't think Moe will be able to score 21. 

Massillon (6-0) vs. East St. Louis IL (5-1) - Massillon 35 ESL 31

I haven't been able to see Massillon play this year, but there was significant preseason hype because of the amount of players they brought back from last years team, and so far their results have been impressive. While they don't have any signature wins, they've destroyed some solid teams. 

ESL comes in at 5-1. After losing their season opener to Detroit King MI, they have won all of ntheir games since, picking up solid wins against Trinity Catholic MO and Edwardsville. I haven't had a chance to see ESL yet this year, but have in the past and generally know the level of athletes and gameplay they bring. 

This is shaping up to be a really good game. I'm not sure who to pick. Both teams can score by the boatload. It seems ESL gives up quite a bit more PPG, whereas Massillon's Defense seems very solid too. I'm going to go with Defense in this one.

La Salle (4-2) vs. St. Xavier (2-4) - St. X 21 La Salle 14

La Salle's Defense is holding up its end of the deal, but the La Salle offense just can't put much together against good Defenses. Last Week La Salle lost in OT to Moeller with a dumb play call. It seems La Salle's most effective play is just QB run left and QB run right. Their offense lacks imagination, and is easy for good Defenses to stop. 

St. X had a rough game last week, with their offense struggling, and their Defense uncharacteristically gave up 51 points and 569 yds to Elder. X's QB is great when he has protection, but whenever he gets hurried he has made bad throws and bad decisions. X's lack of a run game has really hurt them too. 

This is one of the most important games of the season for Playoff hopes. St. X has to win 3 of their last 4 to have a shot at the playoffs. That means they'll have to at least  beat La Salle or St. Ignatius.......As far as the matchups go, I think this game favors X, unless X has packed it in for the season. La Salle isn't a big threat to pass, and aren't very strong on the Lines. X's run Defense should be able to hold La Salle to 14-21 pts. I think X can score that much. 

Solon (6-0) vs. Euclid (5-1) - Euclid 28 Solon 21

Others:

Mentor continues to steamroll teams. Mentor has to be the #1 team in the state at this point, as they own the 2 best wins of anybody in the state. Mentor has always been an offensive force, but this year they are very strong on both lines. 

Hoban is rolling.....probably won't be challenged til the Regionals or Semi's.

Pick Central 

St. Ignatius

TCC

• Like 2

Coletrain06.....   excellent assessment.... 

Agree with your selections, and really believe you are spot-on regarding the point spreads.

Not sure X will get in at 5-5 because of the Princeton forfeits and who picked up wins from that.  So they need the LaSalle win this week.  Do not believe Specht would let them pack it in.  Even without a running game, I believe Hudepohl should take more snaps under center, and run behind Paris Johnson.  Will help keep LaSalle's defense honest, and may free up the receivers.  Last week is history, just point ahead - one game at a time.

Colerain is just getting better each week, which is scary.  Elder, with that offense, seems to me to be Colerain's main challenger in Region 4 at present.  Believe X will win last 4 and get in playoffs.  If that happens, could get Cards' again in first or second round.  Am i really wishing for that???

• Like 1

Fairfield is going to be the biggest threat to Colerain in the GMC.  They have all the pieces and experience.  I am a bit biased because I work with one of their coaches and he's sold me.  I am really thinking about making that long drive up 75 to watch Colerain at Fairfled in a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Fairfield is going to be the biggest threat to Colerain in the GMC.  They have all the pieces and experience.  I am a bit biased because I work with one of their coaches and he's sold me.  I am really thinking about making that long drive up 75 to watch Colerain at Fairfled in a couple of weeks.

Game is at Colerain, and I completely agree. Not looking forward to playing Fairfield at all. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Game is at Colerain, and I completely agree. Not looking forward to playing Fairfield at all. 

Very much looking forward to playing Fairfield.  It's the exact type of game the GCL wonks don't think Colerain ever gets playing in the GMC.  And I have absolutely no fear of the outcome of that game.  No way Fairfield is coming to our house, on Senior night, and beating us.  No.  Way.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Very much looking forward to playing Fairfield.  It's the exact type of game the GCL wonks don't think Colerain ever gets playing in the GMC.  And I have absolutely no fear of the outcome of that game.  No way Fairfield is coming to our house, on Senior night, and beating us.  No.  Way.

-93CardinalsFan

Haha I was only half serious. I'm definitely looking forward to the game. Should be great. Fairfield has some great athletes, but I'm sure glad that Malik Van graduated last year!

In last year's game, Fairfield was about to take a lead into half before that amazing Javon Hicks 103 yd pick 6. 

12 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Haha I was only half serious. I'm definitely looking forward to the game. Should be great. Fairfield has some great athletes, but I'm sure glad that Malik Van graduated last year!

In last year's game, Fairfield was about to take a lead into half before that amazing Javon Hicks 103 yd pick 6. 

I figured there was some sand in there, no question.

It will be a good test, no doubt.  There are some that have been pumping up the underclassmen on this and the upcoming Fairfield teams for quite some time.  When Colerain loses again in the GMC, I believe it will be to Fairfield.  They have to take the next step and win some playoff games.  If they stay healthy, this could be the year they knock off a GCL team in the playoffs.

Question:  Who was the last GMC team to beat one of the D1 GCL teams in the playoffs, and when was it?

-93CardinalsFan

25 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

I figured there was some sand in there, no question.

It will be a good test, no doubt.  There are some that have been pumping up the underclassmen on this and the upcoming Fairfield teams for quite some time.  When Colerain loses again in the GMC, I believe it will be to Fairfield.  They have to take the next step and win some playoff games.  If they stay healthy, this could be the year they knock off a GCL team in the playoffs.

Question:  Who was the last GMC team to beat one of the D1 GCL teams in the playoffs, and when was it?

-93CardinalsFan

If your question includes Colerain, the last time a GMC team beat an GCL team in the playoff was last year...Colerain beat StX.

1 minute ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Good call!  I had totally forgotten about that one.  I was going all the way back to Caleb Watkins and his Middies over Moeller at Lockland...remember that one!  I was there because Colerain DNQ that year.  What a game!  

-93CardinalsFan

Watkins was one helluva high school QB!

Solid week 7 slate. Hard to believe it's week 7 already.  Another game of interest is the Springfield/Northmont matchup where the Wildcats put their undefeated record on the line against their fellow R3 contenders.  Springfield has had some very talented individual players in recent years, but never seems to put it together on the team level. 

1 minute ago, OdbCle said:

Halftime scores:

Elder 14, Moe 11

St. X 28, LS 7 - LaSalle D missing so many tackles and taking terrible angles on players in the open field 

ESL 20, Massillon 7

Colerain 35, Mason 0 - Yikes. Cards making a statement. 

Thanks 

Elder has a stream correct?

that’s the gsme tonight