Xaverian (Mass.) at Archbishop Stepinac (N.Y.)

Adam Kurkjian

Just found out that this will be going down for X's third game. Had this game been played in any of the last three years, I'd call it a pretty even matchup. Next fall, though, I'd consider Stepinac a pretty significant favorite. X lost a ton. They should be fine at RB but need to find a QB and the lines will not be in great shape. Glad they're playing, though, as X has played teams from that league quite a bit over the years. There's a pretty decent history of Catholic Conference teams playing CHSAA squads. Just not sure if X will be able to hang this time. We will see, though. Even though X will have a new coach, he has been the DC there for about 25 years and a great football mind.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Teams from those leagues are a natural fit for each other. Hope to see more of those games again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

BNU is on a different level. Didn't SJR beat Xaverian 65-0 a few years ago?

exactly

These are Valdosta type teams not BNU teams. 

This is a greta match up. My question would be, why did any team from the BNU reach out to these guys? 

Well, alright, you HAVE to fill a schedule but otherwise..... 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Delby, Pope John, SHP, etc.......I was speaking about these. Rather than play local pubs. 

As an FYI going forward, since I know you are into the match-making aspect of HS football now...Stepinac (and most all of the CHSAA teams in the Metro NY area) only usually have 1 open date to fill with a non-CHSAA game. This year it is with Xavarian MASS.  But there is only likely one date every year available for an out of conference game.  I believe there is more flexibility in the Buffalo NY area, as their league is smaller, allowing for more out of conference games.

9 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Stepinac loses a bunch of talent as well.  Should be a good matchup.  No clue who the CHSAA favorite will be next year.

I would say either Stepinac or Cardinal Hayes but I'm not positive because like you alluded to I don't think any one team in that league brings back everyone.

As for the Mass. teams playing BNU, a matchup like that would have and in fact did make a lot more sense 10 years ago. Not so much at the moment. The Jersey parochials are simply on another level talent-wise.

In 2006/07, X and SJR had a pretty competitive home-and-home. SJR won both, but X led at halftime in both games. I covered each for X's local paper, but to be honest SJR those years did not really compare to what they've been more recently.

A big problem for a lot of these Catholic Conference schools right now is that a good number of the top-level kids who would have gone there 10-15-20 years ago are now attending ISL/Prep schools like Lawrence Academy, Milton Academy, etc. Those teams don't have great depth, but those leagues are now producing most of the FBS talent in New England, whereas before the MIAA teams had the monopoly on that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

I would say either Stepinac or Cardinal Hayes but I'm not positive because like you alluded to I don't think any one team in that league brings back everyone.

As for the Mass. teams playing BNU, a matchup like that would have and in fact did make a lot more sense 10 years ago. Not so much at the moment. The Jersey parochials are simply on another level talent-wise.

In 2006/07, X and SJR had a pretty competitive home-and-home. SJR won both, but X led at halftime in both games. I covered each for X's local paper, but to be honest SJR those years did not really compare to what they've been more recently.

A big problem for a lot of these Catholic Conference schools right now is that a good number of the top-level kids who would have gone there 10-15-20 years ago are now attending ISL/Prep schools like Lawrence Academy, Milton Academy, etc. Those teams don't have great depth, but those leagues are now producing most of the FBS talent in New England, whereas before the MIAA teams had the monopoly on that.

As always good insight Adam.  I believe Hayes loses a ton as well.  Stepinac will have the best player in Trill Williams but he is injury prone and their lines will be an issue.  CTK has been building their program.  I believe Iona and St Ants have the most returning with Farrell as a dark horse.  Will be interesting to say the least

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

As always good insight Adam.  I believe Hayes loses a ton as well.  Stepinac will have the best player in Trill Williams but he is injury prone and their lines will be an issue.  CTK has been building their program.  I believe Iona and St Ants have the most returning with Farrell as a dark horse.  Will be interesting to say the least

NY in general should be interesting. It looks like both Curtis and Erasmus Hall return some good talent. I like what New Rochelle has coming back, too.

12 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

NY in general should be interesting. It looks like both Curtis and Erasmus Hall return some good talent. I like what New Rochelle has coming back, too.

New Ro has a stud RB returning, but the numbers in their football program are declining as the student body demographic has shifted from more African Americans toward more hispanics.  They actually won the state championship in soccer last year as a result.  That trend is continuing.  With a student body north of 2,500 kids they will still be ok, just not as much depth as years past.

19 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

New Ro has a stud RB returning, but the numbers in their football program are declining as the student body demographic has shifted from more African Americans toward more hispanics.  They actually won the state championship in soccer last year as a result.  That trend is continuing.  With a student body north of 2,500 kids they will still be ok, just not as much depth as years past.

That's interesting. I know we've been saying this for a while, but I really wish we could get a better sense of how, say, a PSAL team would do against a New Rochelle or someone. We talk a lot about OOS teams, but it's hard to really know who the best team in that state is year to year.

7 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

That's interesting. I know we've been saying this for a while, but I really wish we could get a better sense of how, say, a PSAL team would do against a New Rochelle or someone. We talk a lot about OOS teams, but it's hard to really know who the best team in that state is year to year.

All of the top teams are pretty equal across the state as far as the eye test.  However due to limited crossover between Long Island, NYC, suburbs, Syracuse, and Buffalo areas + limited public vs private crossover + limited schedule space for a lot of out of conference games makes for combination where unfortunately the best teams from around the state never settle it on the field.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2017 at 9:28 AM, NYHSFAN33 said:

Stepinac loses a bunch of talent as well.  Should be a good matchup.  No clue who the CHSAA favorite will be next year.

Not to bump a thread that's over a month old, but the more I look at it, the more I'm beginning to agree with you on this point. Think it may be a bit of a tossup.

A lot can change between now and then, but even though X won't be as good as it's been the last four years, it won't fall right off a cliff and should be better than I expected when I first heard of it.

X will be on the younger side, but should be pretty decent at the skills if it figures out its situation at qb.

Its OL should be a little better than I thought, and the secondary will be strong.

I don't think either team will be loaded on the lines. Stepinac will have the returning QB and the best player on the field in Williams, but outside of that, this should be a pick 'em.

Of course, long way to go, and I will have a much better sense of what X has after its two games to open the season: Everett and B-R. X should be an underdog against Everett and B-R is more of a tossup.

On 2/27/2017 at 8:30 AM, noonereal said:

exactly

These are Valdosta type teams not BNU teams. 

This is a greta match up. My question would be, why did any team from the BNU reach out to these guys? 

Well, alright, you HAVE to fill a schedule but otherwise..... 

Valdosta  has Disproven that Both MA and NY are anywhere near their level of play 

42-0 

And 56-0...

3 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

How good is Duxbury football ?? 

Depends on the year, but usually pretty good. Last year, when they were healthy, they were quite good. Problem with Duxbury usually is it's not that big of a school, so depth can be a problem. They sat all their starters on Thanksgiving to stay healthy for the state title game. That was ugly, seeing a good team in Marshfield beat up on basically a JV team, 53-0. It would have been a competitive game otherwise.

Just now, Drummer61 said:

Thanks... I classmate of mine has a grandson who played there this year.

They were good. They had two scholarship OL, one of which should be a major recruit soon, a good WR corps that included a kid who had FBS offers but chose Harvard, and a quarterback who was a four-year starter and set all kinds of state passing records. A healthy, full-strength Duxbury vs. a late-season Everett would have been an excellent game. Two teams in different divisions, however. Everett played the tougher schedule and lost twice, but avenged one of the defeats in the D1 title game and the other loss, imo, likely also goes the other way if played later.