SJB / MD Under The Microscope

Gospeeder

Lots of talk about who should qualify for the MNC.

After watching SJB up close and with all due respect to Allen ( which I will get to watch play when I am back in Texas in a couple of weeks ) or SJC and SF, one would be hard pressed to pick against the Braves.

We had great seats with a large part of the game played on the "hash marks" on our side of the field making it very easy to see a lot of the stuff not readily apparent when watching on TV. I expected SJB to win ( the subject of discussion among Sammy, Cal 14 and myself the night before ) but not the total destruction that the game turned out to be.

Bottom line is that SJB at this point of the season is pretty much the whole package. They played MD like IMG did but with much better discipline and a polished aerial game that IMG did not have when MD tried to crowd the box. It was the power vs finesse thing again and Bosco had both. Watching them up close revealed a talent level that not only matched MD man for man but exceeded it in the line play. Those boys are big, fast, nasty and were focused. MD somewhat less so as number 12 Ricks spent a fair amount of time trash talking at the SJB players on the sideline... acting like his ass was not getting kicked when he should have been totally locked into the SJB offensive set and any tells the "wide out" across from him may be showing.

Relative to the discussion about how the CIF playoffs will work out: IMO unless something unforeseen pops up such as injuries etc. SJB will be in the Open. MD's weaknesses when playing the very elite programs will need to be addressed if they are going to have any chance... the interior line play and weak "red zone" performance. The only area that they may surpass SJB is in the kicking game which is exceptional.

Does MD deserve to be ranked among the top 5 or 10 in the country? I would still say yes. Despite my perceived weaknesses that they have, they are still an exceptionally good team. If they get past their press clippings and win out the rest of the regular season, eventually to face SJB again and lose, they will still belong as SJB is on a completely different level.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

After watching SJB up close and with all due respect to Allen ( which I will get to watch play when I am back in Texas in a couple of weeks ) or SJC and SF, one would be hard pressed to pick against the Braves.

We had great seats with a large part of the game played on the "hash marks" on our side of the field making it very easy to see a lot of the stuff not readily apparent when watching on TV. I expected SJB to win ( the subject of discussion among Sammy, Cal 14 and myself the night before ) but not the total destruction that the game turned out to be.

Bottom line is that SJB at this point of the season is pretty much the whole package. They played MD like IMG did but with much better discipline and a polished aerial game that IMG did not have when MD tried to crowd the box. It was the power vs finesse thing again and Bosco had both. Watching them up close revealed a talent level that not only matched MD man for man but exceeded it in the line play. Those boys are big, fast, nasty and were focused. MD somewhat less so as number 12 Ricks spent a fair amount of time trash talking at the SJB players on the sideline... acting like his ass was not getting kicked when he should have been totally locked into the SJB offensive set and any tells the "wide out" across from him may be showing.

Relative to the discussion about how the CIF playoffs will work out: IMO unless something unforeseen pops up such as injuries etc. SJB will be in the Open. MD's weaknesses when playing the very elite programs will need to be addressed if they are going to have any chance... the interior line play and weak "red zone" performance. The only area that they may surpass SJB is in the kicking game which is exceptional.

Does MD deserve to be ranked among the top 5 or 10 in the country? I would still say yes. Despite my perceived weaknesses that they have, they are still an exceptionally good team. If they get past their press clippings and win out the rest of the regular season, eventually to face SJB again and lose, they will still belong as SJB is on a completely different level.

Nice write up.

It looks like MD has to get past Centennial in the CIF before the rematch with SJB, I believe. Will be interesting to see how MD does against Centennials passing game if their line play is suspect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Nice writeup. My biggest concern going into the game was the line play. I felt like JSerra exposed some weakness there, but it may turn out to be more likely that JSerra is just that good on the lines. If that's the case, I would expect to see MD face similar challenges next week, though I don't think JSerra's offense is as potent as SJB's (but it's pretty darn good with Street at RB, Bell at QB and McClain and Shimomura at WR).

• Thanks 1

I would not be shocked at all to see JSerra beat the Monarchs this week.

SJB was far more poised throughout the night.  Uiagalelei made great decisions all game and showed he was the better QB by a fair amount.

We'll see what happens in the playoffs.  A lot of terrific teams could pull off upsets.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

I would not be shocked at all to see JSerra beat the Monarchs this week.

SJB was far more poised throughout the night.  Uiagalelei made great decisions all game and showed he was the better QB by a fair amount.

We'll see what happens in the playoffs.  A lot of terrific teams could pull off upsets.

Totally agree on all three counts. If JSerra's  smaller line can "out quick" MD this will be a very good game. If they don't it will be tough as MD's skill players will give MD a large advantage. If they can disrupt McCoy at the LOS and get pressure on Young they will reduce the skill advantage a lot.

5 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Totally agree on all three counts. If JSerra's  smaller line can "out quick" MD this will be a very good game. If they don't it will be tough as MD's skill players will give MD a large advantage. If they can disrupt McCoy at the LOS and get pressure on Young they will reduce the skill advantage a lot.

I think MD will win going away.  The Monarchs played an unusually poor game offensively vs SJB.  A lot of unforced errors with missing wide open receivers.  I think JSerra starts a lot of underclassemen that wont be able to hang with the superior talented Monarchs

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2