Bergen guys

sausmann9

couple of quick questions; 

Josh McKenzie - how is he and is he at full strength going into the wrestling season???

Is Josh and Jake Cardenia (sp?) battling for 195 or both bumping up a class???

Where is Josh looking to go to college; did he make a choice and a choice b/n football and wrestling??? 

tx.

Ps.  I hope you all hand it to BA once again - that was lovely last season, lol.

17 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Josh McKenzie - how is he and is he at full strength going into the wrestling season???

Where is Josh looking to go to college; did he make a choice and a choice b/n football and wrestling??? 

tx.

Ps.  I hope you all hand it to BA once again - that was lovely last season, lol.

Josh just had surgery. 

He is going to yale. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

tx.

McKenzie had surgery so he's not going to be wrestling; he's committed to Yale to play football. 

Cardenas should be at 195 again; he's committed to Cornell.

The match against Blair is January 26th at Lehigh, before the Lehigh-Arizona State match.  It would be a hell of an accomplishment to beat them two years in a row.  We have the firepower down low to hang around but without McKenzie I'm not sure we'll be able to get there.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

tx.

Cardenas is ranked #2 in the country behind AJ Ferrarri from Blair. Blair is ranked #1 and we are ranked #2 to start the season..but there is a huge gap there. Blair reloaded and received the several highly touted transfers including the Ferrari brothers from Allen Texas and Dominick Mata top 5 160 pounder in the nation from California. The dual at Lehigh will not be close, I figure out of the 14 weight classes BC will be lucky to win 5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

Cardenas is ranked #2 in the country behind AJ Ferrarri from Blair. Blair is ranked #1 and we are ranked #2 to start the season..but there is a huge gap there. Blair reloaded and received the several highly touted transfers including the Ferrari brothers from Allen Texas and Dominick Mata top 5 160 pounder in the nation from California. The dual at Lehigh will not be close, I figure out of the 14 weight classes BC will be lucky to win 5.

So wrestling season wrapped up in NJ?? Blair takes #1

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

So wrestling season wrapped up in NJ?? Blair takes #1

well Blair is not a member of NJSIAA so they are never ranked in NJ. They don't take part in the NJ state tournament either in team or individual. They go to the National Prep Championships which I think they've won every year except 1 time a few years back. 

Just now, Mickeybern said:

well Blair is not a member of NJSIAA so they are never ranked in NJ. They don't take part in the NJ state tournament either in team or individual. They go to the National Prep Championships which I think they've won every year except 1 time a few years back. 

Oh ok. Didnt know that. Ryan Howard committed to penn state btw 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

Yeah Blair is on a different planet than everyone else.  Intermat has Bergen #3 behind Wyoming Sem which seems reasonable but they also have SJR at #21 which makes no sense at all.

Barring injury, Bergen should cruise to another undefeated season in-state.  I like that Paulsboro is on the schedule, they're the consensus #2 coming into the season.  

3 minutes ago, bc3 said:

Yeah Blair is on a different planet than everyone else.  Intermat has Bergen #3 behind Wyoming Sem which seems reasonable but they also have SJR at #21 which makes no sense at all.

Barring injury, Bergen should cruise to another undefeated season in-state.  I like that Paulsboro is on the schedule, they're the consensus #2 coming into the season.  

I agree happy that Paulsboro took that dual and it looks like BC has scheduled the Excalibur Tournament next weekend at Wyoming Seminary. They couldn't schedule their annual dual with them so they will go to that tournament. Either one of those teams will most likely end up #2. Flo has BC there now but claimed it was close.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I agree happy that Paulsboro took that dual and it looks like BC has scheduled the Excalibur Tournament next weekend at Wyoming Seminary. They couldn't schedule their annual dual with them so they will go to that tournament. Either one of those teams will most likely end up #2. Flo has BC there now but claimed it was close.

Do you have any idea whether Cedeno or Strashinsky will have to sit out?  That'll make a big difference in the early season tournaments, especially since that's gonna be the only time they wrestle Sem.

1 hour ago, bc3 said:

i cannot speak to the ranking for SJR other than Damian has been reloading the program back to its former glory but as to how close we could be to BC ...have no clue...that is a different level...hopefully we can keep closing the gap......

2 hours ago, bc3 said:

Do you have any idea whether Cedeno or Strashinsky will have to sit out?  That'll make a big difference in the early season tournaments, especially since that's gonna be the only time they wrestle Sem.

this is an area where I'm not exactly sure how it works but I would think that Cedeno definitely because of the public to non-public situation but Stashinsky I don't believe so because he is coming from Delbarton. As long as Coach Stoll signed off on it.

2 hours ago, SJR89 said:

i cannot speak to the ranking for SJR other than Damian has been reloading the program back to its former glory but as to how close we could be to BC ...have no clue...that is a different level...hopefully we can keep closing the gap......

I wasn’t trying to shit on Joe’s (although I don’t think they’ve closed any gap between them and Bergen) but I think it’s a really strange ranking. I’m not sure they’re a top-10 team in NJ, let alone top-25 in America.  And who’s the head coach now that Damion took the AD job? He was a great wrestler and trainer but those guys aren’t always able to transfer their skills to create winning high school programs. 

41 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

this is an area where I'm not exactly sure how it works but I would think that Cedeno definitely because of the public to non-public situation but Stashinsky I don't believe so because he is coming from Delbarton. As long as Coach Stoll signed off on it.

The type of school doesn’t matter. All that matters is whether they can claim a “legitimate change of address”. If so they can play immediately, if not they have to sit 30 days.  Some kids can find their way through that loophole and some can’t. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bc3 said:

I wasn’t trying to shit on Joe’s (although I don’t think they’ve closed any gap between them and Bergen) but I think it’s a really strange ranking. I’m not sure they’re a top-10 team in NJ, let alone top-25 in America.  And who’s the head coach now that Damion took the AD job? He was a great wrestler and trainer but those guys aren’t always able to transfer their skills to create winning high school programs. 

The type of school doesn’t matter. All that matters is whether they can claim a “legitimate change of address”. If so they can play immediately, if not they have to sit 30 days.  Some kids can find their way through that loophole and some can’t. 

I don't think it is shitting on SJR to question that #21 ranking. Most people in the NJ wrestling community don't understand Intermat's ranking and have questioned whether Josh Lowe (the ranker) has outsourced the job. The gap hasn't closed btw the 2 programs but SJR has definitely made strides within Bergen County and have surpassed DBP. 

17 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I don't think it is shitting on SJR to question that #21 ranking. Most people in the NJ wrestling community don't understand Intermat's ranking and have questioned whether Josh Lowe (the ranker) has outsourced the job. The gap hasn't closed btw the 2 programs but SJR has definitely made strides within Bergen County and have surpassed DBP. 

closing the gap is getting competitive in swing matches and not losing by 30 pts....vs BC.....and or losing on pts in close matches vs pins.  His top asst is the new HC....not sure of name...but his club is perfect feeder for SJR...new wrestling room etc....onward and upward...

10 hours ago, SJR89 said:

closing the gap is getting competitive in swing matches and not losing by 30 pts....vs BC.....and or losing on pts in close matches vs pins.  His top asst is the new HC....not sure of name...but his club is perfect feeder for SJR...new wrestling room etc....onward and upward...

No doubt..if you want to really get an understanding about where SJR is going and where they have improved all you have to do is look at the incoming frosh and where top transfers go. Justin Bierdumpfel has transferred from DBP to SJR and the Green Knights have a solid crop of incoming freshmen. That is on top of the transfers they received last year from the QP close. Sjr is quickly becoming the preferred landing spot in Bergen County for very good wrestlers who wouldn't be able to crack BC's lineup. That is how you build for the future. 

agreed......although the program took a bit of hit when #6 Monte decided not to wrestle anymore to concentrate on football and Lax which is the right decision...no more cutting weight......who knows...maybe no one takes out BC locally for years...but need to build it to compete...as with the other sports at SJR...there is considerable movement in all other programs...soccer is now good again to compete....lax maybe the best its ever been and this season should be special....hoops needs to get back on track and baseball is always there...looking forward to this season...should be fun..................

23 hours ago, bc3 said:

McKenzie had surgery so he's not going to be wrestling; he's committed to Yale to play football. 

Cardenas should be at 195 again; he's committed to Cornell.

The match against Blair is January 26th at Lehigh, before the Lehigh-Arizona State match.  It would be a hell of an accomplishment to beat them two years in a row.  We have the firepower down low to hang around but without McKenzie I'm not sure we'll be able to get there.  

I'm at all the Lehigh matches (at least the home ones at Grace, Stabler, or PPL Center)  that's going to be a really fun day of Prep and College wrestling for sure!!!  Did they pick the venue yet, ie Stabler or Grace Hall???  

15 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Fuck that shit!  Make them take the mat every time.

Blair is the IMG of wrestling 

last year only 5 of their starters were from Jersey

so it’s a race to #2 between BC, WS, Ed and Montini to name a few. I have BC in the lead at this time

the Ironman starts tomorrow. Some teams will be short handed with football just ending and injuries 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Blair is the IMG of wrestling 

last year only 5 of their starters were from Jersey

so it’s a race to #2 between BC, WS, Ed and Montini to name a few. I have BC in the lead at this time

the Ironman starts tomorrow. Some teams will be short handed with football just ending and injuries 

That is true but here is how the wrestling landscape, especially in Jersey, has changed over the last 6 years. If you look at Blair's roster in any given year and you will see NJ boys represent btw 40 to 60 % of the roster. So, NJ and eastern PA and NY are very important to Blair's program but now they have to compete with BC,Delbarton as well as Bethlehem Catholic and Wyoming Seminary for the top talent. Six years ago would Robbie Howard be wrestling in Oradell or Blairstown?? That answer is pretty easy.  Blair has always recruited nationally but a majority have come from about 150 mile radius. With the other schools in the area beginning to challenge them for the best wrestlers Blair will most likely become more aggressive in their recruitment in the rest of the country. Hence the big names in Blairstown this year from Texas and Cali.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1