DeMatha HC to Maryland

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

That was the plan for a few years down the road. Now, he obviously is one of the leaders for the job, but I’m sure they will conduct a search as best practice. 

He fits all of the criteria. DM alum, college degree and has shown a great dedication to the school. Playing in the NFL for 8 years helps too. 

From what I heard today (from a couple of DeMatha parents) the administration wants to hire Josh Wilson (who has supposedly given big bucks recently and took over as DC this year when longtime DC Deno Campbell was forced out) but a group of alumni and parents want to bring back Bill McGregor. Sounds like a number of parents/players are not crazy about Wilson and the administration is not crazy about McGregor coming back. I would think the administration wins out but it will be interesting to see what happens.

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Do the majority of the top recruits in DC that play for Dematha, SJC, and SFA etc all live and come from those 5 wealthiest counties?

Yes and no.

DM seems to pull mostly PG, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, DC & parts of No VA

SJC is in the same areas but will hit Baltimore & Howard. As well as out of state.

SFA they recruit the USA, Canada, France, Mexico, Community Colleges, Post Grads, etc (just kidding don’t need the SFA trolls on me) they seem to recruit National like a college and international. They operate on a different level because money is no object. If you have a D1 player he is not safe.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oldballcoach said:

Yes and no.

DM seems to pull mostly PG, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, DC & parts of No VA

SJC is in the same areas but will hit Baltimore & Howard. As well as out of state.

SFA they recruit the USA, Canada, France, Mexico, Community Colleges, Post Grads, etc (just kidding don’t need the SFA trolls on me)

I think that's a pretty fair statement...but don't leave DeMatha out of Baltimore/Howard ...they took two Gilman guys a few years back and the linebacker from McDonough this year. Both DeMatha and St.Johns (as well as Gonzaga and Good Counsel) get players from throughout the D.C./Balt/No.Va area.  And well beyond in a few cases. But nothing close to SFA.

1 hour ago, WCACguy said:

I think that's a pretty fair statement...but don't leave DeMatha out of Baltimore/Howard ...they took two Gilman guys a few years back and the linebacker from McDonough this year. Both DeMatha and St.Johns (as well as Gonzaga and Good Counsel) get players from throughout the D.C./Balt/No.Va area.  And well beyond in a few cases. But nothing close to SFA.

Forgot about that. That is correct

11 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

My thoughts is Maryland college football should be a powerhouse. There is no excuse with the amount of talent that is in the area. It might be because the D.C./Maryland area is a less than ideal place to be raised so the kids must be eager to leave. 

Why else can't Maryland build a wall around the DMV area and be elite in football? They should have the pick of the litter at SJC, Dematha,SFA etc. 

Stick to Florida. You're clueless about the DC Metro area. It's always been one of the wealthiest areas in the country. You clearly have never lived there or don't know the area too well. 

I went to school in DC when it was still the Murder capital of the US back in the mid 90's when Rayful Edmonds and Marion Barry were running sh*t. 

DC hasn't been that same city in more than a decade, actually longer. Still some rough ghettos but NOTHING like back then. Those days are long gone. 

That city is now 40 miles to the north and it's called Baltimore.

3 hours ago, WCACguy said:

From what I heard today (from a couple of DeMatha parents) the administration wants to hire Josh Wilson (who has supposedly given big bucks recently and took over as DC this year when longtime DC Deno Campbell was forced out) but a group of alumni and parents want to bring back Bill McGregor. Sounds like a number of parents/players are not crazy about Wilson and the administration is not crazy about McGregor coming back. I would think the administration wins out but it will be interesting to see what happens.

I would be very surprised if McGregor returns. Beyond surprised. The guy basically created the model for football in DC-Baltimore and he knows how hard of a grind that DM or any WCAC-A job is. I couldn’t imagine him giving up retirement to be at grassroots games and practices all offseason. His “coaching style” is pedal to the metal if that makes any sense. I couldn’t see him wanting to do that at his age. 

DM’s admin wants to hire young and from within. That’s how they operate. The only issue would be if they want JW to wait a few more years. 

Maryland more so than Rutgers should get a bigger bump from the big ten.... Maryland should be all over NJ .... not sure if any recent tip Kids have gone to Maryland .... there regional football from VA to NJ is top notch with blue chips .... they need a dynamic coach to make it happen .... just like Clemson pre dabo .... Maryland has all the pieces to big time ... just need the right coach. / staff 

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

When top regional recruits start choosing UMD over PSU, then I'll be a believer. Won't be easy. but definitely possible long-term. 

We will see the power of this staff immediately. The next class(‘20) in MD/DC is loaded with 5 national top 50 recruits with 4 in the top 25 and the #1 overall recruit in DL Bresee. Others include DM’s RB Lloyd, SFA’s DE Braswell and SJC’s LB Sherman and WR Jarrett. I’m very interested to see where Marshawn Lloyd ends up now that Brooks is the RB coach at UMD. All of these players were prime targets for Locksley at Alabama.

Maryland is like Rutgers. Very similar profile. DC/Maryland definitely has more of a college feel than NJ but not by much when it comes to big state pride in their state university. It's a pro sports area just like NYC/NJ is. 

That's why historically most of the top tier stud athletes have left the area and not felt the loyalty to stay home that kids in TX, Cali, FL, Ohio, PA and the rest of the big state schools feel. 

Hopefully the revamped coaching staff at MD helps keep kids home but still an uphill battle IMO. 

• Like 1