The great John Havlicek passes at age 79.

Bormio

28 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Played in 8 NBA Finals - was 8-0.  NCAA champion at Ohio State.  NBA 50th anniversary team.  But best remembered for “Havlicek stole the ball”.

I had the pleasure of having him as a cart mate for a round of golf — he was truly a very nice guy — had a rigged fishing pole in his bag and he’s take a few casts if the tee box was near water — zero pretension 

too young 

RIP Hondo 

btw, I believe The General was also on that buckeye team and the Golden Bear won a different ncaa title for the buckeyes 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Pops said:

I had the pleasure of having him as a cart mate for a round of golf — he was truly a very nice guy — had a rigged fishing pole in his bag and he’s take a few casts if the tee box was near water — zero pretension 

too young 

RIP Hondo 

btw, I believe The General was also on that buckeye team and the Golden Bear won a different ncaa title for the buckeyes 

Larry Siegfried and Jerry Lucas were on the team - who was the General?

Bob Knight - I did not know that, damn what a team

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bormio said:

Played in 8 NBA Finals - was 8-0.  NCAA champion at Ohio State.  NBA 50th anniversary team.  But best remembered for “Havlicek stole the ball”.

50th anniversary team as a 6th Man. Vivid memories of him and the Celtics playing on the parquet floor. Loved it.

14 hours ago, Pops said:

RIP Hondo 

I was Hondo on the driveway. Played more like Paul Silas though, with a few JoJo White jumpers sprinkled in there. I remember watching Glen Gondrezick at Boulder High back in the day, before he went to UNLV and the Runnin' Rebels. "Gondo" got his name from Hondo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

50th anniversary team as a 6th Man. Vivid memories of him and the Celtics playing on the parquet floor. Loved it.

I was Hondo on the driveway. Played more like Paul Silas though, with a few JoJo White jumpers sprinkled in there. I remember watching Glen Gondrezick at Boulder High back in the day, before he went to UNLV and the Runnin' Rebels. "Gondo" got his name from Hondo.

I was Havlicek as well in the driveway.  Of course by then he was a starter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

May have been Parkinson's ?? You can also over condition the heart....His ejection Fraction could have been way to high..

I have no idea what an ejection fraction is.  I have never read anything about him having Parkinson’s

All I know is that the guy’s heartrate was freaky low, and he could run forever.

i think it was natural, not anything to do with “conditioning.

14 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

I have no idea what an ejection fraction is.  I have never read anything about him having Parkinson’s

All I know is that the guy’s heartrate was freaky low, and he could run forever.

i think it was natural, not anything to do with “conditioning.

I think it was reported he had Parkinson’s.  But it sounds as if might have been sudden or at least an acute illness.  He was 79 - it happens.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

I believe that was in the Boston Herald as per Parkinson's...Ejection Fraction is a measure of cardiac function....At times, when people are to WELL conditioned and with age, that measurement degrades.. IE...normal ejection fraction is about 55- 75%..  Some physicians  say 50% is OK...

Didn’t see that ...

I can still hear the gravelly voice of Johnny Most give the starting lineup for the 70s Celtics - “Nelson and Havlicek at the forwards, Cowens at center, White and Cheney at the guards”.  Same way, every time.  Because radio was how I followed the Celtics (and Bruins, and Sox).  Most games were not yet on TV.

8 hours ago, Bormio said:

I can still hear the gravelly voice of Johnny Most give the starting lineup for the 70s Celtics - “Nelson and Havlicek at the forwards, Cowens at center, White and Cheney at the guards”.  Same way, every time.  Because radio was how I followed the Celtics (and Bruins, and Sox).  Most games were not yet on TV.

Johnny Most was the most (see what I did there?) unabashed, shameless homer in the history of sport.  Any sport.

Listening to him call the games before tv you’d think the Celtics were getting mugged with baseball bats and fire axes.

I loved him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

Johnny Most was the most (see what I did there?) unabashed, shameless homer in the history of sport.  Any sport.

Listening to him call the games before tv you’d think the Celtics were getting mugged with baseball bats and fire axes.

I loved him.

I never understood why other teams  were allowed to maul the Celtics - until I was a bit older.

• Haha 2