West Toronto Prep Schedule

Nolebull813

There are more than six million people in the Toronto metro area but American football does not share the popularity it does in the states.  I believe there are only five or six hs teams including Niagara.  Interesting because several CFL  teams have large followings but this doesn’t seem to have much influence on hs.

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

There are more than six million people in the Toronto metro area but American football does not share the popularity it does in the states.  I believe there are only five or six hs teams including Niagara.  Interesting because several CFL  teams have large followings but this doesn’t seem to have much influence on hs.

Toronto was actually dead last in CFL attendance at 14k/game, 3k lower than the next worst team. League average was 24k. Edmonton and Saskatchewan were both over 30k on average. As far as active American rules HS football teams in Canada, outside of British Columbia where everyone plays American rules I think there are just 3 now: West Toronto Prep, St. Joseph Football North and Clarkson Football North. West Toronto Prep is billing the Pallotti game as the first American rules HS football game ever in Toronto.

These are the numbers I found on football in Canada: there's 950 HS (167 US rules), 32 CEGEP (Quebec 3-year JUCO) and 28 college teams (1 NCAA D-II) in the whole country. That's compared to 16,090 HS (1,687 6/8/9-man football), 778 4-year college and 133 JUCO teams in the U.S.

As a side note, when I was in college we went to Montreal and played a spring game against a Canadian college. Game was played on a Canadian field under half US/half Canadian rules. When we had the ball it was 11-on-11 and US rules. When they had the ball it was 12-on-12 and Canadian rules. Both sides got 4 downs. We won pretty handily but they had a lot of athletes, just really poor QB play. Awesome experience all-around.

• Like 4