Observations Of MD and CC... After the fact.

Gospeeder

Watching a game up close will usually give a perspective that imo is much better than watching it on tv... even with the instant replays. That said, here are some observations about CC and MD.

MD appears to be the real deal. During the first half, their execution ( outside of what were too many stupid penalties ) appeared to be much farther along than one normally sees in an opener. Their receivers were precise and quick... and watching the schemes open up as they were developing their "air show" was quite impressive... even more so as the CC defenders were often draped on them and they still made the catch.  Their only weakness outside of the penalties appeared to be adjusting to the up tempo offense, something that I am sure the scouts for SF, SJC and SJB will take notice of.

CC is not a bad as the score indicated. IMO... in this game coaching was a huge factor. CC appeared to be very one dimensional and that's on Logan. Looking at the huge gaps in the MD defensive sets, called for quick openers set up with the QB under center. Had CC been diverse enough to do that, they would have easily scored when they had those 1st and goals.   

CC is going to have to adjust. Their predictableness ( if that's a word ) may not be a problem for them against the Corona's or Roosevelt's of the world but against true "tier one" programs it will be another story.

If CC can diversify to truly take advantage of their talent... and they have a lot of it, it will bode well for them come playoff time. The second thing IMO is for them to move Retzlaff to the top of their QB depth chart. This kid clearly has that "it" factor that potentially good players usually have. His throws were for the most part accurate. He moves well and kept his poise when under pressure. That was not the case with Freedland. When under pressure he forced way to many throws. Retzlaff was who kept me from leaving the game in the 2nd half even though MD may have had some of their second stringers in.

If CC makes the above mentioned adjustments imo, they will be a force for anyone, including MD, to reckon with in the playoffs.

As for MD, their first half performance justified my enthusiasm for attending the upcoming game with SFA. I am hoping it will have the same intensity and emotionally draining drama that last season's game with IMG produced.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2