37 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup

• Marietta
    • Eastside Catholic
  2. 2. Who wins

• STA
    • St. Louis

10 hours ago, Fred said:

Common perception that statistics don't prove, at least in GA.  One of our historians that runs the Maxwell ratings says it is much closer to 50/50.  I forget what the exact percentage was/is but it is not what everyone thinks.

But to get to the 50/50 stat you mention, you'd need to somewhat misrepresent what I'm saying. I didn't say the statistics state that the team who lost the first time is always likely to win the second game. I said they are likely to do noticeably better. Last season, my team beat a rival 50-0 on the road the 1st time, and won again, 29-7, at home the 2nd time. Basics will say it was the same result since the same team won both games. I would use the pair of games as evidence supporting my claim. I concede that tracking my exact claim statistically is somewhat challenging.

11 hours ago, badrouter said:

But to get to the 50/50 stat you mention, you'd need to somewhat misrepresent what I'm saying. I didn't say the statistics state that the team who lost the first time is always likely to win the second game. I said they are likely to do noticeably better. Last season, my team beat a rival 50-0 on the road the 1st time, and won again, 29-7, at home the 2nd time. Basics will say it was the same result since the same team won both games. I would use the pair of games as evidence supporting my claim. I concede that tracking my exact claim statistically is somewhat challenging.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, badrouter said:

But the rematch almost always favors the team that lost the 1st time. And, regardless, that just means the teams split the season series. That they'd lose in any circumstances to that team by three touchdowns tells you EC isn't nationally elite.

If you say so.  In the context it sure seemed that the point was the team wins but whatever.