2011 Alabama vs 2014 Ohio State

ChimpGrip

Who wins this game? I go with Bama of course... I loved the competitiveness of that group. Also, the defense was as violent as they come. Barron, Hightower, and Upshaw had a knack for laying hits that rivaled high-speed, car-accident collisions. The offense wasn't great, but they were physically powerful on the OL and punished opposing defenses with that and a duo of brute RB's (Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy). I feel if they could move the ball on a historic defense like 2011 LSU, then they could move it on anyone. 

Yeah, they were never tested, but they dominated some decent teams.

Never have seen a defense that was as fundamentally sound and disciplined as that 2011 unit. 

While I'm at it, how about 2011 Bama vs 2012 Texas A&M?

usatcollege-CollegeUSAT-521805-25pg-vertical.jpg

6 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Same team that allowed only 9 touchdowns all year and smothered a loaded LSU team 21-0

They certainly smothered LSU. Then again, they were only able to score FGs until 4 minutes left in the game.

They probably beat Ohio State up until Cardale Jones took over for the final three games.

They don't beat Ohio State with 12-Gauge under center.

16 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Bama would have won both. 

Greatest D of all time. They didn't have the hell-raisers up front on the DL like the 2015 and '16 teams (Allen, Williams, Robinson, Reed, etc.) but nobody generated stops or played as fundamentally sound as the 2011 unit. They were violent, mean, and as disciplined as it gets. No defense tackled as well as they did either. 

54 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Greatest D of all time. They didn't have the hell-raisers up front on the DL like the 2015 and '16 teams (Allen, Williams, Robinson, Reed, etc.) but nobody generated stops or played as fundamentally sound as the 2011 unit. They were violent, mean, and as disciplined as it gets. No defense tackled as well as they did either. 

In my lifetime that I have watched play I rank these 3 defenses the best.

1. 1992

2. 2011

3. 1979

My dad will tell you the 1961 and 1966 are as elite as any.

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

In my lifetime that I have watched play I rank these 3 defenses the best.

1. 1992

2. 2011

3. 1979

My dad will tell you the 1961 and 1966 are as elite as any.

How about best Bama team ever? I think its one of the following four... 2011, 2012, 2015 or 2016 

2009 was great but I think the national championship is too big a question mark. 2018 was great but we know how that ended. 

2008 USC Defense (not including any offensive players):

3x 1st Team All Americans 

11 Players Drafted

6 Future Pro Bowlers

2 Future All Pros 

3 Shut Outs

Held 10 opponents to under 10 Points

Beat #3 Ohio State 35-3

Only 1 team scored more than 3tds on them

Clay Matthews, Jurrell Casey, Brian Cushing, Everton Griffen, Rey Maualuga, Taylor Mays & multiple other NFL draft picks coached by one of the best defensive mind in football history, Pete Carroll. 

2008 USC vs 2008 Florida should have been the game of the century. Shame the CFB playoff wasn’t around back then. My Trojans that year were as nasty of a defense as anyone in the history of CFB

15 minutes ago, mje44 said:

11 Players Drafted

6 Future Pro Bowlers

2 Future All Pros 

3 Shut Outs

Beat #3 Ohio State 35-3

Clay Matthews, Jurrell Casey, Brian Cushing, Everton Griffen, Rey Maualuga, Taylor Mays & multiple other NFL draft picks coached by one of the best defensive mind in football history, Pete Carroll. 

2008 USC vs 2008 Florida should have been the game of the century. Shame the CFB playoff wasn’t around back then. My Trojans that year were as nasty of a defense as anyone in the history of CFB

Very good defense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mje44 said:

11 Players Drafted

6 Future Pro Bowlers

2 Future All Pros 

3 Shut Outs

Beat #3 Ohio State 35-3

A true championship defense finds away to beat oregon state.  I do think the fact the 2011 Alabama defense failed to score vs LSU in the 9-6 game prevents it from being the best in my lifetime. The 1992 defense figures a way to win that game.