California restricts state-funded travel to Idaho over transgender laws

ThunderRam

https://www.postregister.com/news/government/california-restricts-state-funded-travel-to-idaho-over-transgender-laws/article_d60c20b1-ca84-5ee5-a246-c284cb1025d2.html

Curious to know what the crowd here thinks about the article/topic above.

Unfortunately this type of political topic is taboo on most sports forums I frequent, even though this particular political topic has direct impact on sports and competition in general. But I know this place never seems to be frightened away from topics such as these. So I thought I'd create this thread to exchange ideas and, hopefully, have a civil discussion.

I do have several thoughts on the matter. Nothing inflammatory, of course, but any type disagreement about what CA is doing, why they're doing it, and whether it is fair and just could be construed as inflammatory to others. Same logic applies to the topic of transgender and gender dysphoria, which these 2 Idaho bills are all about.

Unfortunately that's the world we now live in. Apparently a large faction of people believe there is something written into the US constitution that affords them right to live without being offended. I've looked. Many times. And it isn't in there.

So without further adieu, here are my thoughts and points..........

I fully disagree with CA's attorney general take on the matter. But that's the secondary point. IMO the main point is that CA is overstepping by restricting state-funded travel to other States in order to pressure those States to conform to their own ideology.

Isn't the restriction mostly punishing the student-athletes attending CA State schools for laws they had no part in creating or legalizing? What's next, restrict travel to Texas, Virginia, Oklahoma and Florida for actively using the death penalty? SMH.

I won't deep dive into the entire article, but would like to comment on this quote from California Attorney General Xavier Becerra:

"The state of Idaho has taken drastic steps to undermine the rights of the transgender community, preventing people from playing sports in school or having documentation that reflects their identity. Let’s not beat around the bush: these laws are plain and simple discrimination. That’s why Idaho joins the list of AB 1887 discriminating states.”

I get that transgender dysphoria is a hot topic issue. But at least one of the bills in question contains externalities that affect naturally born females.

In Connecticut, there's actually an ongoing Title IX complaint on the topic arguing that female athletes’ rights are being violated by allowing transgenders to compete.
https://www.concordmonitor.com/Bill-banning-transgender-women-from-female-sports-attracts-heated-debate-31989499

Don't their rights count too? Can't it be argued that they are being discriminated against as well? The State of CA seems to want to create a hierarchy.
Perhaps other States should boycott CA for arbitrarily deciding whose rights matter more than others?

The second bill, which bans transgender people from amending an Idaho birth certificate to match their gender identity, doesn't contain the same type of externalities, if any, so I don't have the same concerns about it. The only counter argument I do have is that the citizens of Idaho aren't legally able to change their date of birth to match an age they more identify with, or their race if they don't have some type of family tree proof, so I don't see the justification for allowing gender changes. Seems rather arbitrary.

I mean, how cool would it have been 30+ years ago when some of us were teenagers to just be able to say "hey, I feel 21. That's the age I identify with. It matches my perceived level of maturity. So I'd like to amend my birth certificate to reflect it so I can then vote and buy alcohol" ?

Hell, those of us in this leftist State should take advantage of this opportunity and make a push for amendments to age. I'm closing in on 50 but feel like I'm 25. I'd like to be forever young! Or better yet, why can't I identify older so I can start collecting my social security & 401K right now? Will CA go for that too? 🙄

In all seriousness, let me just say that I sympathize with those that deal with transgender dysphoria. If they choose to alter their appearance to appear as another gender, cool. If they choose to change their name, cool. I even have no problem referring to any transgender person that I'm friendly with by the name they prefer (although I don't believe anybody should be legally compelled to do so).

That said, there is an inherent advantage to a naturally born male competing as a female. I think most recognize that fact, which is why several States have adopted laws or are trying to adopt laws to prevent it.

IMO it's unbecoming of CA or any State to try to force their ideology and laws upon others. More importantly, it's wrong of them to ignore trampling the rights of others in the pursuit of being progressive.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts about this.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

https://www.postregister.com/news/government/california-restricts-state-funded-travel-to-idaho-over-transgender-laws/article_d60c20b1-ca84-5ee5-a246-c284cb1025d2.html

Curious to know what the crowd here thinks about the article/topic above.

Unfortunately this type of political topic is taboo on most sports forums I frequent, even though this particular political topic has direct impact on sports and competition in general. But I know this place never seems to be frightened away from topics such as these. So I thought I'd create this thread to exchange ideas and, hopefully, have a civil discussion.

I do have several thoughts on the matter. Nothing inflammatory, of course, but any type disagreement about what CA is doing, why they're doing it, and whether it is fair and just could be construed as inflammatory to others. Same logic applies to the topic of transgender and gender dysphoria, which these 2 Idaho bills are all about.

Unfortunately that's the world we now live in. There's apparently a large faction of people believe that there is something written into the US constitution that affords them right to live without being offended. I've looked. Many times. And it isn't in there.

So without further adieu, here are my thoughts and points..........

I fully disagree with CA's attorney general take on the matter. But that's the secondary point. IMO the main point is that CA is overstepping by restricting state-funded travel to other States in order to pressure those States to conform to their own ideology.

Isn't the restriction mostly punishing the student-athletes attending CA State schools for laws they had no part in creating or legalizing? What's next, restrict travel to Texas, Virginia, Oklahoma and Florida for actively using the death penalty? SMH.

I won't deep dive into the entire article, but would like to comment on this quote from California Attorney General Xavier Becerra:

I get that transgender dysphoria is a hot topic issue. But at least one of the bills in question contains externalities that affect naturally born females.

In Connecticut, there's actually an ongoing Title IX complaint on the topic arguing that female athletes’ rights are being violated by allowing transgenders to compete.
https://www.concordmonitor.com/Bill-banning-transgender-women-from-female-sports-attracts-heated-debate-31989499

Don't their rights count too? Can't it be argued that they are being discriminated against as well? The State of CA seems to want to create a hierarchy.
Perhaps other States should boycott CA for arbitrarily deciding whose rights matter more than others?

The second bill, which bans transgender people from amending an Idaho birth certificate to match their gender identity, doesn't contain the same type of externalities, if any, so I don't have the same concerns about it. The only counter argument I do have is that the citizens of Idaho aren't legally able to change their date of birth to match an age they more identify with, or their race if they don't have some type of family tree proof, so I don't see the justification for allowing gender changes. Seems rather arbitrary.

I mean, how cool would it have been 30+ years ago when some of us were teenagers to just be able to say "hey, I feel 21. That's the age I identify with. It matches my perceived level of maturity. So I'd like to amend my birth certificate to reflect it so I can then vote and buy alcohol" ?

Hell, those of us in this leftist State should take advantage of this opportunity and make a push for amendments to age. I'm closing in on 50 but feel like I'm 25. I'd like to be forever young! Or better yet, why can't I identify older so I can start collecting my social security & 401K right now? Will CA go for that too? 🙄

In all seriousness, let me just say that I sympathize with those that deal with transgender dysphoria. If they choose to alter their appearance to appear as another gender, cool. If they choose to change their name, cool. I even have no problem referring to any transgender person that I'm friendly with by the name they prefer.

That said, there is an inherent advantage to a naturally born male competing as a female. I think most recognize that fact, which is why several States have adopted laws or are trying to adopt laws to prevent it.

IMO it's unbecoming of CA or any State to try to force their ideology and laws upon others. More importantly, it's wrong of them to ignore trampling the rights of others in the pursuit of being progressive.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts about this.

Idaho citizens don't want people from California coming to their state so Idaho citizens should be quote happy about this 

• Haha 1

Federal government imposes their will on the states as far as federal funding, either acquiesce to the anti- discriminatory segregation laws in the southern states or lose funding.

No different than Ca imposing their economic power to influence their stance.

However, the murkiness of hormones and the advantage a male gains competing as a female cannot be ignored. I'm sure there's controls in place.

How much of this created fear in an area known for "preppers" and far right "nationalists" would be hilarious to watch.

bgw

• Like 2

Just now, ThunderRam said:

Well, with crap like this, I know I surely would.

Me 2. Maybe Bryce Young made a great decision to go to Alabama and leave usc 

Pac 12 football has become basically irrelevant anyway so why go there? 

To support the state of California makes absolutely no sense anymore. Same with the whole northeast. Both parts of the country have become insane 

3 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Federal government imposes their will on the states as far as federal funding, either acquiesce to the anti- discriminatory segregation laws in the southern states or lose funding.

No different than Ca imposing their economic power to influence their stance.

However, the murkiness of hormones and the advantage a male gains competing as a female cannot be ignored. I'm sure there's controls in place.

How much of this created fear in an area known for "preppers" and far right "nationalists" would be hilarious to watch.

bgw

Good point on the feds doing the same. Still believe it's wrong, but you're right that precedent was set a long time ago.

In this case, CA wants others to acquiesce to anti-discriminatory laws that in turn discriminate against naturally born women and violate title IX laws. That's a bit different.

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

To support the state of California makes absolutely no sense anymore. Same with the whole northeast. Both parts of the country have become insane 

I love living in CA. I love the climate, the environment, pretty much everything physical about where I live.

I just hate the extreme leftist politics that is seemingly growing by leaps and bounds. Not liberals, but the extreme left. There's a difference. Just as there is a difference between conservatives and the ALT right. Both extremes are maddening IMO.

And it isn't just CA where it's occurring. Far from it. If the movement is not already in your neighborhood or knocking on your door, it will be soon.

Just now, ThunderRam said:

I love living in CA. I love the climate, the environment, pretty much everything physical about where I live.

I just hate the extreme leftist politics that is seemingly growing by leaps and bounds. Not liberals, but the extreme left. There's a difference. Just as there is a difference between conservatives and the ALT right. Both extremes are maddening IMO.

And it isn't just CA where it's occurring. Far from it. If the movement is not already in your neighborhood or knocking on your door, it will be soon.

That's why you move. But the movement is even down in blood red Mississippi so maybe it's time to consider leaving America and go to countries that have their values and won't let them go. And crushes people who dare to destroy their history. 

But I know people are loading up their guns and getting ready for a fight. When the time comes be locked and loaded. 

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

That's why you move. But the movement is even down in blood red Mississippi so maybe it's time to consider leaving America and go to countries that have their values and won't let them go. And crushes people who dare to destroy their history. 

But I know people are loading up their guns and getting ready for a fight. When the time comes be locked and loaded. 

I'm afraid of  Mississippi values... 

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I'm afraid of  Mississippi values... 

I'm afraid of liberal values doesn't mean I go burn everything to the ground to change them. Maybe we should. 

Mississippi has some absolutely beautiful historical places. Also has some really good haunted places.