Florida Preseason Rankings

Columbiafan

34 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Also, you have Osceola over Cocoa and BTW. Interesting. I expected to see Wekiva on there, but I guess they're not as good as they were a few years ago.

BTW was at 10 but I dropped them after they lost a significant player to IMG earlier today which made the second major loss to IMG this off-season joining their 5* receiver who left 

Cocoa definitely rose up the Rankings but with Osceola I have heard good things from my sources in central FL, could be a hit and miss team that I chose to gamble on 

Wekiva is seemingly a long way from recapturing what they had when they beat North Gwinnett a few years back 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

@Columbiafan Here's my Georgia Top 20. Not as much accuracy as yours though. I was interested to see Armwood being a little low, especially being an annual state semifinalist.

top 20.PNG

Those GA rankings look pretty good

I'm not a expert on GA though and I would probably have a slightly different order on a few of those but off a quick glance those teams look like the right ones

I don't know GA classification off the top of my head but is that only 7a there because I'm surprised to not see Valdosta in top 20 if that was an all classification top 20

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Those GA rankings look pretty good

I'm not a expert on GA though and I would probably have a slightly different order on a few of those but off a quick glance those teams look like the right ones

I don't know GA classification off the top of my head but is that only 7a there because I'm surprised to not see Valdosta in top 20 if that was an all classification top 20

Yeah, it's only 7A. I don't know much about the other classifications.

8 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Armwood is solid team, I just haven't heard anything about them that grabbed my attention like some past Armwood teams but they will likely be a team that rise into top 10 over course of the season (if Covid allows a season that is)

Is 8A Palmetto supposed to be that good this year? 

10 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

BTW was at 10 but I dropped them after they lost a significant player to IMG earlier today which made the second major loss to IMG this off-season joining their 5* receiver who left 

Cocoa definitely rose up the Rankings but with Osceola I have heard good things from my sources in central FL, could be a hit and miss team that I chose to gamble on 

Wekiva is seemingly a long way from recapturing what they had when they beat North Gwinnett a few years back 

I also see Oakleaf above Jones. Oakleaf's OOS schedule could be a little tough on them this year, as they play Camden County and Lowndes from Georgia. Carol City seems a little low. They didn't have a great record last year, but their schedule was pretty hard. I guess that could potentially catapult them into the top 25 at least. I know these are preseason rankings, but I could potentially see Carol City being decent next year (top 25 in the state).

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

This is alarming. 

Well I would if I tried. But since North Gwinnett is in 7A, they've been my main focus. But I'm not entirely clueless on other classifications either. I'm just not as knowledgeable at other classifications as I am about 7A.

3 hours ago, ngdawg said:

I also see Oakleaf above Jones. Oakleaf's OOS schedule could be a little tough on them this year, as they play Camden County and Lowndes from Georgia. Carol City seems a little low. They didn't have a great record last year, but their schedule was pretty hard. I guess that could potentially catapult them into the top 25 at least. I know these are preseason rankings, but I could potentially see Carol City being decent next year (top 25 in the state).

Carol City could rise over the year but I have doubts with them for the moment

Oakleaf picked up several significant transfers and have an argubly top 10 FL QB in the 2021 class which has caused several solid players locally to transfer there 

I see them or Bartram Trail as 8a North favorites which is why they are so close together

• Thanks 1

Oakleaf picked up 2 significant transfers from Jacksonville Lee as well (3* S Larry Smith who is a Indiana commit in the 2021 class as well as Devin Smith who is a LB in the 2022 class) 

Also got a solid RB I had pleasure (or mispleasure considering he had a good game against my team last year) who is in the 2023 class 

I was really impressed with Oakleaf last year and they should be better this year with the transfers they picked up 

Them and Bartram are by far the best teams in North Florida heading into the season from everyone I've spoken to 

• Thanks 1

Well I would if I tried. But since North Gwinnett is in 7A, they've been my main focus. But I'm not entirely clueless on other classifications either. I'm just not as knowledgeable at other classifications as I am about 7A.

You gotta broaden that horizon, champ. Learn the game in its entirety. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

Why Miami Central over Northwestern?

Both are on par and capable of beating each other and both are loaded on paper

I ranked Central higher because I have a higher level of confidence in them winning 6a, anytime I deal with 2 teams that aren't that far separated in talent (like Central and MNW) I usually look at who has the higher probability of winning state and because Central has a easier road in 6a (because of how thin 6a is at the top) I gave them the nod over Northwestern who has a tougher road to repeating as Champions 

Yes I know MNW has had Central number lately but I look at more than one single data point like that because those series could easily flip at any time especially in a highly combative transfer climate like we see in Florida

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I agree

@ngdawg only way to get better at something is branch out and take your lumps and learn more 

My initial rankings in 2015 obviously lacked a bit in some areas but I feel like they have improved each year but it takes time to learn this stuff but it does make you more versatile in long run to be able do more and branch into other areas 

I've also learned it's good to get sources from areas you aren't as familiar with and take advice where you can get it and develop a system that makes the rankings mesh with your visual eye on things 

I don't try to rank and match other people in FL who also do Rankings, I try to make mine mesh with my philosophy and for better or worse I try my best to stand by it's principle

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

18 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I agree

@ngdawg only way to get better at something is branch out and take your lumps and learn more 

My initial rankings in 2015 obviously lacked a bit in some areas but I feel like they have improved each year but it takes time to learn this stuff but it does make you more versatile in long run to be able do more and branch into other areas 

I've also learned it's good to get sources from areas you aren't as familiar with and take advice where you can get it and develop a system that makes the rankings mesh with your visual eye on things 

I don't try to rank and match other people in FL who also do Rankings, I try to make mine mesh with my philosophy and for better or worse I try my best to stand by it's principle

It's not that I don't want to learn more about other classifications. I stuck to 7A mainly because that was the class North Gwinnett competes in. And for my band, I'm the guy that provides all the 7A news. So naturally, I only stuck to 7A. I don't have any problem diversifying to other classifications. If you want, I could go ahead and give you my top 20 for all classifications! I just haven't focused as much on other classes in the past.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

It's not that I don't want to learn more about other classifications. I stuck to 7A mainly because that was the class North Gwinnett competes in. And for my band, I'm the guy that provides all the 7A news. So naturally, I only stuck to 7A. I don't have any problem diversifying to other classifications. If you want, I could go ahead and give you my top 20 for all classifications! I just haven't focused as much on other classes in the past.

Worth a shot

I'm sure others on here would give you feedback on it and it could be a helpful thing long term to diversify

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Worth a shot

I'm sure others on here would give you feedback on it and it could be a helpful thing long term to diversify

If you guys are interested, I can make a top 20 for all classifications combined by today. I was also thinking about making an Instagram page for high school football in Georgia and a website for Georgia football scores and predictions, but I fear I'm not that advanced yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

If you guys are interested, I can make a top 20 for all classifications combined by today. I was also thinking about making an Instagram page for high school football in Georgia and a website for Georgia football scores and predictions, but I fear I'm not that advanced yet.

Baby steps my friend

A Instagram page may be a good start point but probably wait on a website until you have some built up viewer base 

• Thanks 1