SFHSAA ?? Will This Happen or Not. ?

SubZero

They just formerly introduced the "SFHSAA", South Florida High School Athletic Association to the world! #Dade #Broward #PalmBeach #Martin #Monroe #Collier #StLucie #IndianRiver and who ever else wants to play with the BEST football Florida has to offer! #LetsGetIt

from @DB_BucksFB.

Its time DO AWAY with

@FHSAAand get our own South Florida High School Athletic Association (SFHSAA). It Can Be Done, Lets Go!!!

From @StranFootball on Twitter

Miami-Dade school board votes unanimously to explore withdrawing from FHSAA

https://amp.tcpalm.com/amp/3355486001?__twitter_impression=true

Sadly, for decades, South Florida has always been an outlier area of Florida. The rest of the state is much more along the lines of Georgia or Alabama. It's full of profoundly bigoted people who view South Florida as something of a jungle. And, South Florida folks tend to not hold the rest of the state in high regard, either. It's mildly surprising the two areas haven't split before all of this. Now, with such domination in state championships by schools from the Tri-county area (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach), the rest of the state probably hopes they'll opt out...until they look at state series revenues ex post facto.

*This is in regards to the FHSAA voting, today, to open practices August 24 and start playing games September 7.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Sadly, for decades, South Florida has always been an outlier area of Florida. The rest of the state is much more along the lines of Georgia or Alabama. It's full of profoundly bigoted people who view South Florida as something of a jungle. And, South Florida folks tend to not hold the rest of the state in high regard, either. It's mildly surprising the two areas haven't split before all of this. Now, with such domination in state championships by schools from the Tri-county area (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach), the rest of the state probably hopes they'll opt out...until they look at state series revenues ex post facto.

*This is in regards to the FHSAA voting, today, to open practices August 24 and start playing games September 7.

Do you think there will even be a state series because if i'm not mistaken, the higher classes[5A-8A] don't even have a venue to play state final games this season as of yet. 

3 hours ago, SubZero said:

Do you think there will even be a state series because if i'm not mistaken, the higher classes[5A-8A] don't even have a venue to play state final games this season as of yet. 

With all the drama going on, if there is it will probably be at the home venue of one of the finalists in each class. I guess this could be determined in one of two ways: 1. The team with the highest ranking gets to host; 2. Flip a coin.

A third way could be to determine it based on anticipated revenues, but I am sure the non-hosting team would find that unacceptable. Frankly, the whole thing is a mess. Personally, I don't want Florida to split into regions. Yes, I understand the argument some in South Florida make that they dominate the state series, so breaking away does not devalue a South Florida championship series. However, I see two issues with this:

1. It tends to be a handful of schools from South Florida that dominate year in and year out, so there is the issue of whether all the schools in each class down there would want to participate if they are going to consistently get blown out.

2. While over the past 15 years or so, South Florida has truly dominated, it has not always been this way. It is very possible that the balance of power could shift at least to a degree as there are other large metro areas in Florida that could stack teams to compete with the better Dade/Broward teams. 

Another factor is: I just don't want Florida to become like California with all types of "Championships." I truly like the idea of a State Champion. 

Anyway, that's my ten cents for what it's worth. 

4 hours ago, SubZero said:

My prediction is that things will unfold as follows:

The FHSAA and its schools outside of south Florida will strongly maintain they will start practice August 24 and games in early September. This, unequivocally, will be the stance of all involved. Practice will get underway August 24. Games will be understood to be starting in September, 100%, no matter what. On August 26, an increase in cases will be noted in the media. On August 27, it will be declared a major spike in cases. On August 29, the FHSAA will cancel the season. No games will be played. 

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The FHSAA and its schools outside of south Florida will strongly maintain they will start practice August 24 and games in early September. This, unequivocally, will be the stance of all involved. Practice will get underway August 24. Games will be understood to be starting in September, 100%, no matter what. On August 26, an increase in cases will be noted in the media. On August 27, it will be declared a major spike in cases. On August 29, the FHSAA will cancel the season. No games will be played. 

Personally, I think some games will be played. Where it goes from there depends on the number of teams/schools that have significant Covid-19 outbreaks. Florida's case numbers may have already hit, at the very least, a temporary peak. I believe that will become obvious over the next two weeks. Now whether the virus returns with vengeance in the fall will determine whether we have a season of sorts this year, with playoffs and all. If it returns in significant numbers, then before the end of September, the season will likely be abandoned. If it does not and the numbers level off at a much lower level than they are now, I believe we will get in at least six or seven games of regular season followed by some type of playoff schedule. I could see it limited to district champions only.  Without the participation of South Florida teams, the championship games, if there are any, will be tarnished/diminished to a degree. 

It is what it is. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, badrouter said:

Only the programs looking for a easy paper Championship want them to opt out 

No real competitor would accept playing anyone less than the best in the finals 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Personally, I think some games will be played. Where it goes from there depends on the number of teams/schools that have significant Covid-19 outbreaks. Florida's case numbers may have already hit, at the very least, a temporary peak. I believe that will become obvious over the next two weeks. Now whether the virus returns with vengeance in the fall will determine whether we have a season of sorts this year, with playoffs and all. If it returns in significant numbers, then before the end of September, the season will likely be abandoned. If it does not and the numbers level off at a much lower level than they are now, I believe we will get in at least six or seven games of regular season followed by some type of playoff schedule. I could see it limited to district champions only.  Without the participation of South Florida teams, the championship games, if there are any, will be tarnished/diminished to a degree. 

It is what it is. 

Why do people continue you to believe that a spike will come during the fall/winter?

I think it's pretty obvious by now that the virus will be high in weeks/months were travel and vacation are up and numbers will drop when travel is less.

Regardless, I don't really give a shit. Maybe after a year or two of hysteria, the shock factor will have worn off and others will be ready to return to normal also.

24 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Why do people continue you to believe that a spike will come during the fall/winter?

I think it's pretty obvious by now that the virus will be high in weeks/months were travel and vacation are up and numbers will drop when travel is less.

Regardless, I don't really give a shit. Maybe after a year or two of hysteria, the shock factor will have worn off and others will be ready to return to normal also.

Because it coincides with the prime time for the flu viruses. While Covid-19 is not a flu virus, it is a related family. It is too new to know whether it will do more damage in the fall, since it only first surfaced late last fall and did not really get cranking till winter. 

I hope it won't but would not at all be surprised if it did. We shall see in the next few months, won't we?

25 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Because it coincides with the prime time for the flu viruses. While Covid-19 is not a flu virus, it is a related family. It is too new to know whether it will do more damage in the fall, since it only first surfaced late last fall and did not really get cranking till winter. 

I hope it won't but would not at all be surprised if it did. We shall see in the next few months, won't we?

The shouldn't be an issue this fall. It will be all Covid.

22 hours ago, badrouter said:

After looking at what has been currently approved, for 5A - 8A, we have a maximum of 9 regular season games, districts temporarily abolished and all teams that want to can participate in the playoffs subject to no more than 16 teams in each region. Home field will (if I got it right) be randomly selected. Now if a region automatically has more than 16 teams, some will be eliminated from participating. I am not clear how this will be done, but assume it will be based either on ranking or on won/loss record. 

We will see how this works out. I hope we have some kind of season, but would not be surprised if it gets ended early depending on the status of the virus in September/October. 

14 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

After looking at what has been currently approved, for 5A - 8A, we have a maximum of 9 regular season games, districts temporarily abolished and all teams that want to can participate in the playoffs subject to no more than 16 teams in each region. Home field will (if I got it right) be randomly selected. Now if a region automatically has more than 16 teams, some will be eliminated from participating. I am not clear how this will be done, but assume it will be based either on ranking or on won/loss record. 

We will see how this works out. I hope we have some kind of season, but would not be surprised if it gets ended early depending on the status of the virus in September/October. 

I haven't looked, but, do they have a set of protcols and metrics for various scenarios (positive cases per team; case rates in the county; case rates statewide etc) laid out? Clearly, advice from medical professionals and dispassionate analysis of case rates in the state have not been among the considerations thus far. Florida is doing DRAMATICALLY worse than California in controlling the virus, yet they talk like its the other way around.

8 hours ago, badrouter said:

I haven't looked, but, do they have a set of protcols and metrics for various scenarios (positive cases per team; case rates in the county; case rates statewide etc) laid out? Clearly, advice from medical professionals and dispassionate analysis of case rates in the state have not been among the considerations thus far. Florida is doing DRAMATICALLY worse than California in controlling the virus, yet they talk like its the other way around.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, the questions you ask are answerable in the negative. Our state has done a bad job not because I think it is incompetent, but in my own opinion alone, because politics has played too great a role in the decision making process. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:20 PM, badrouter said:

Y'all are still playing even with fl leading the country in new covid cases ?  

On 8/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, DarterBlue said:

With all the drama going on, if there is it will probably be at the home venue of one of the finalists in each class. I guess this could be determined in one of two ways: 1. The team with the highest ranking gets to host; 2. Flip a coin.

A third way could be to determine it based on anticipated revenues, but I am sure the non-hosting team would find that unacceptable. Frankly, the whole thing is a mess. Personally, I don't want Florida to split into regions. Yes, I understand the argument some in South Florida make that they dominate the state series, so breaking away does not devalue a South Florida championship series. However, I see two issues with this:

1. It tends to be a handful of schools from South Florida that dominate year in and year out, so there is the issue of whether all the schools in each class down there would want to participate if they are going to consistently get blown out.

2. While over the past 15 years or so, South Florida has truly dominated, it has not always been this way. It is very possible that the balance of power could shift at least to a degree as there are other large metro areas in Florida that could stack teams to compete with the better Dade/Broward teams. 

Another factor is: I just don't want Florida to become like California with all types of "Championships." I truly like the idea of a State Champion. 

Anyway, that's my ten cents for what it's worth. 

Cali has ONE true champ.  The winner of the Open State Bowl Game.  If anything you can point at TX who ends up with 2 top class champs. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Y'all are still playing even with fl leading the country in new covid cases ?  

Yup. Some counties may not play, but any county that wants to play can. Polk County, where I grew up, has a case rate very close to Los Angeles County. Polk still approved practices to start next week and games in early September. It wouldn't surprise me if they allowed fans to attend games as well. Obviously, what we have is a case where some people simply refuse to accept the reality of the virus.

• Like 1