“Everyone has a talent” False?

ChimpGrip

Just now, ChimpGrip said:

Who here actually believes everyone has a talent of some kind? To me, it sounds like a BS, feel-good statement. Some people are gifted in some way and many are not. Thoughts?

If you reframe the question, I would be better able to give you and answer. What is clear is that every person can do somethings better than others. I am sure that, that's true.

Now if you ask: Is everyone above average at something? That is not true at all.

• Like 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

If you reframe the question, I would be better able to give you and answer. What is clear is that every person can do somethings better than others. I am sure that, that's true.

Now if you ask: Is everyone above average at something? That is not true at all.

Yes I should have worded the question differently. I think the latter part of your post is what I was aiming to get. Coffee hasn’t kicked in yet lol

5 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Who here actually believes everyone has a talent of some kind? To me, it sounds like a BS, feel-good statement. Some people are gifted in some way and many are not. Thoughts?

Everyone got talent, maybe it’s counting numbers, juggling, being able  to crush things with your hands, some people got photographic memory, some can kick a football 50+ yardss

me? My talent? I can go into a home where there has been a murder or suicide, and not be grossed out, and clean the shit out of the apartment so the owner can rent out the apartment like nothing happened 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Everyone got talent, maybe it’s counting numbers, juggling, being able  to crush things with your hands, some people got photographic memory, some can kick a football 50+ years

me? My talent? I can go into a home where there has been a murder or suicide, and not be grossed out, and clean the shit out of the apartment so the owner can rent out the apartment like nothing happened 

Seems to me I either have no talent or I’m talented in something I don’t care about (hence why I haven’t “discovered” it) Seems like everyone (most, not all) are very good at something without much effort. Whether they’re exceptionally intelligent, have artistic ability, can close big grippers within three months of training, etc. Meanwhile I’ve been preached to to strive for a life that is good but is mediocre in the big picture. To play it safe. Get a job that has benefits and good retirement and all that bullshit.... I’m rambling on now. 

2 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yes I should have worded the question differently. I think the latter part of your post is what I was aiming to get. Coffee hasn’t kicked in yet lol

That's fine, and no, not everyone is capable of doing at least somethings better than average. Perhaps most individuals can, at least those that are considered, "normal." But to be superior you not only need to have some basic level of intelligence, but also the dedication to properly learn your craft. Due to laziness, personal circumstances, and other factors, many individuals never attain such superiority. That does not mean they are any less human and should be treated with derision, as I do believe in according basic respect for all human beings, talented or not.  

• Like 2