Former Bama LB wins UFC debut

954gator

Just turned on main card ... recorded prelims so I'll check it out later. 

Really tough fight for weidman ... gastelum is a tough SOB. I think kelvin knocks out chris in his backyard. Weidman certaintly not getting any breathers rockhold, Romero, mousasi and now gastelum. That's like a bnu schedule! 

• Like 2

Weidman fought a smart fight but to me the most interesting thing on tonight's telecast was the Cormier/Jones interview. Jones looked intense and focused and not wasting mental energy with the trash talk. This will be the fight to see next week instead of the garbage like FM/CM and one of the few UFC fights worth the PPV. We may see a Jon Jones level we have not seen before. I was complimented tickets and will definitely be there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Weidman fought a smart fight but to me the most interesting thing on tonight's telecast was the Cormier/Jones interview. Jones looked intense and focused and not wasting mental energy with the trash talk. This will be the fight to see next week instead of the garbage like FM/CM and one of the few UFC fights worth the PPV. We may see a Jon Jones level we have not seen before. I was complimented tickets and will definitely be there.

Jones already peaked,  he won't be as good as he was 3/4 years ago, but he's probably still the best LHW 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Jones already peaked,  he won't be as good as he was 3/4 years ago, but he's probably still the best LHW 

Steeler, you surprised weidman won? 

I think kelvin needs to dedicate himself to 170.... can't beat the top 185s IMO like Romero, jacare, Whittaker etc (mousasi too but he signed w Bellator). 

Weidman looked much bigger compared to kelvin..... too small for the division. 

• Like 1

I agree with you guys about Jones maybe having peaked but he is only 30 and in his previous fight with DC and the subsequent attempts at the rematches, he just did not seem to take it all that seriously... relying most on his talent. After watching his body language and reactions to DC's comments, I think his mental focus will offset any deterioration in his skills. I don't think this will be a pleasant night for DC.

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Steeler, you surprised weidman won? 

I think kelvin needs to dedicate himself to 170.... can't beat the top 185s IMO like Romero, jacare, Whittaker etc (mousasi too but he signed w Bellator). 

Weidman looked much bigger compared to kelvin..... too small for the division. 

No,  I had a small bet on him.  I couldn't see how Gastelum whose much smaller was going to defend Weidman's wrestling.  Gastelum is a WW not a middleweight