Does it hurt California or the legacy of De La Salle if they loses their two OOS games?

coach_warren

45 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I hear ya, but there is no shame in losing to top teams in competitive games.  If they were getting smashed every game then thats different.  ie: Grayson, Norcross, Valdosta.  Ok lets hear it!!!!!!!!

Funny....Evangel (and damn near every Louisiana school that played OOS) was getting bashed damn near daily for losing OOS games to the likes of Allen (for example).

But we're suddenly supposed to up and give a Cali team credit for playing tough OOS games.

Sorry bud...Ya dish it out...Ya gotta take it..

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

But DLS lost to ET by 5, who beat that year's TX State Champions by 10. 

That's evidence that CA's State Champions were about as good as TX's State Champions.

The question of which state has the best football isn't even well-formed, since it's not clear what factors we're supposed to consider (best teams, depth, culture, etc.) or how much weight we're supposed to assign to each of the factors. 

I've never said that CA has the best football, period; but only that CA's best teams are about as good as any other state's best teams most years. 

Great catch on North Shore, forgot they won that year.  

I pretty much agree with all of what you're saying.  I think what started the Cali vs The world debates was the emphasis to validate Calpreps ratings.  

Anyways, I DO think DLS could have played the state champ tx teams and been great games in 2015, and  CC, SJB, Md,, MV and some other Socal teams might also TBH.  

BUT, looking at it from the other perspective, I could say there might have been around 15-20 or so teams in Texas that could have hung with and maybe beat DLS.   There are certain posters that believe this to be truly Impossible. "Well the rankings say no way!...etc"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

The answer to the question of which state has the best football will change from year to year.  But I agree, the best teams in California (or Texas, or Florida or even maybe Georgia) are probably about as good as any other state's best teams in most years.  Won't always be the case, but more often than not, the elite can hang with the elite.

Good post.  This is my thought as well.    With this trend of football prep schools and regional powerhouses,  that list of states might get much bigger.   I mean the top 1 or 2 teams in quite a few states are competing very well OOS now that they are getting more regional talent.