Does it hurt California or the legacy of De La Salle if they loses their two OOS games?

coach_warren

2 hours ago, coach_warren said:

I don't think it will hurt either, because we have seen and we will see Cali play the likes of IMG, STA, BG, BC, Colquitt, etc. But I think DLS could lose their two OOS games this season.

Of course they could lose their OOS games this season.

Week 2 is early in the season. Who knows where DLS's offense will be at that point. And SJC has some talented players, I hear. 

BG is BG: they should be a tall order for anybody at any point in the season. 

DLS could also lose the Open Division Bowl Game. There are at least two teams in the Southland who should have especially tough defensive fronts and potent offenses. 

But I don't see why DLS's losing those games should hurt their legacy or CA's football reputation.  

18 minutes ago, 954gator said:

It definitely hurts Cali more when DLS is winning the open.   I'd say it might put a ding on Norcal, but I mean if SJB,MD, CC, Socal beats DLS also ehh.   I think it would hurt a bit more losing to SJC than it would BG, but still SJC has been pretty solid lately.  

Do you mean it would hurt Cali if DLS loses both OOS games and then wins the Open?

I think that would depend on how the team they play in the Open does this year.

Suppose MD beats BG, BC, and SJB before losing to DLS. And suppose BG, BC, and SJB otherwise win.

Fat chance, I know. But I don't see how that would hurt DLS or CA. 

23 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Do you mean it would hurt Cali if DLS loses both OOS games and then wins the Open?

I think that would depend on how the team they play in the Open does this year.

Suppose MD beats BG, BC, and SJB before losing to DLS. And suppose BG, GC, and SJB otherwise win.

Fat chance, I know. But I don't see how that would hurt DLS or CA. 

Very true, my point being I doubt a DLS team that goes 0-2 OOS this year is going to be tough enough to beat the top Socal team this year.  You never know though.     But yes, like you said DLS isn't the only team going OOS.   DLS losing is DLS losing, not the whole of Cali.

In previous years, when DLS was doing most of the big Cali OOS it was more of a "black eye" IMO.   Like 2015, when Cen10 was the big bad school and DLS, who lost to a Texas team, beat them in the final.   There wasn't much other OOS games to help elevate the Socal side.   I mean it's all just perception really though. 

• Like 1

"In previous years, when DLS was doing most of the big Cali OOS it was more of a "black eye" IMO.   Like 2015, when Cen10 was the big bad school and DLS, who lost to a Texas team, beat them in the final.   There wasn't much other OOS games to help elevate the Socal side.   I mean it's all just perception really though. "

How is this a black eye?  In September, DLS loses a road game that went down to the wire.  Throughout the season they improve and in December, beat Cen10.  Who is to say that Trinity would have beaten them in December?  The better argument for the black eye is for DLS to beat Cen10 and then lose to Trinity the following week. 

The only way California would be "hurt" if all their top teams went winless against clearly inferior out of state opponents AND if the state managed to send no one to a D1 school for about three straight years.  DLS's legacy is their legacy. Rome fell, did that hurt their legacy?  Other than that, this is just a troll thread.

18 hours ago, coach_warren said:

I don't think it will hurt either, because we have seen and we will see Cali play the likes of IMG, STA, BG, BC, Colquitt, etc. But I think DLS could lose their two OOS games this season.

CQ doesn't belong on that list

Neither does BC, really

DLS plays better OOS teams than exist in GA and only play The Godfather if the BNU's best teams

12 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I don't understand the claim of " we play the best OOS teams"  who cares if you don't beat them?

I hear ya, but there is no shame in losing to top teams in competitive games.  If they were getting smashed every game then thats different.  ie: Grayson, Norcross, Valdosta.  Ok lets hear it!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rippers said:

"In previous years, when DLS was doing most of the big Cali OOS it was more of a "black eye" IMO.   Like 2015, when Cen10 was the big bad school and DLS, who lost to a Texas team, beat them in the final.   There wasn't much other OOS games to help elevate the Socal side.   I mean it's all just perception really though. "

How is this a black eye?  In September, DLS loses a road game that went down to the wire.  Throughout the season they improve and in December, beat Cen10.  Who is to say that Trinity would have beaten them in December?  The better argument for the black eye is for DLS to beat Cen10 and then lose to Trinity the following week. 

The only way California would be "hurt" if all their top teams went winless against clearly inferior out of state opponents AND if the state managed to send no one to a D1 school for about three straight years.  DLS's legacy is their legacy. Rome fell, did that hurt their legacy?  Other than that, this is just a troll thread.

Not really a black eye, which is why I put quotations, but at the same time Cali posters have the opinion their state is the best in football.  Years like 2015 would be hard to argue that.  When your top team goes OOS and loses yet beats the best Cali teams...it doesn't support that claim, especially when Trinity wasn't a state champ.  It didn't help that the rest of the wasn't doing as much OOS at the time.   

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

Who is to say that Trinity would have beaten them in December?  The better argument for the black eye is for DLS to beat Cen10 and then lose to Trinity the following week. 

You can't know for sure really.   All we have are the facts.  Even if DLS or Cen10 were to beat Trinity,  Trinity went out in the Texas playoffs early.  

Imagine if Santa Margherita beat say Allen in a very close game at home.  Allen goes on and wins state and is recognized as #1 in Texas.   

It isn't a good look for Texas in that scenerio.  It is what it is.

6 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I hear ya, but there is no shame in losing to top teams in competitive games.  If they were getting smashed every game then thats different.  ie: Grayson, Norcross, Valdosta.  Ok lets hear it!!!!!!!!

Thats all yall ever say.... "atleast we play top teams". How long are yall gonna ride that excuse?

26 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Not really a black eye, which is why I put quotations, but at the same time Cali posters have the opinion their state is the best in football.  Years like 2015 would be hard to argue that.  When your top team goes OOS and loses yet beats the best Cali teams...it doesn't support that claim, especially when Trinity wasn't a state champ.  It didn't help that the rest of the Cali wasn't doing as much OOS at the time.   

But DLS lost to ET by 5, who beat that year's TX State Champions by 10. 

That's evidence that CA's State Champions were about as good as TX's State Champions.

The question of which state has the best football isn't even well-formed, since it's not clear what factors we're supposed to consider (best teams, depth, culture, etc.) or how much weight we're supposed to assign to each of the factors. 

I've never said that CA has the best football, period; but only that CA's best teams are about as good as any other state's best teams most years. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Thats all yall ever say.... "atleast we play top teams". How long are yall gonna ride that excuse?

With respect to GA posters, we're going to use that excuse until GA's best programs start to play and beat the best programs outside GA over a number of years.

The answer to the question of which state has the best football will change from year to year.  But I agree, the best teams in California (or Texas, or Florida or even maybe Georgia) are probably about as good as any other state's best teams in most years.  Won't always be the case, but more often than not, the elite can hang with the elite.

• Like 2

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Ok so hold us to a standard yall cant do. Ok...

No, same standard, namely, play and beat the best programs outside GA over a number of years.

If you can do that, then you'll have some grounds to argue that GA's best teams are better than CA's best teams.

2 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

No, same standard, namely, play and beat the best programs outside GA over a number of years.

If you can do that, then you'll have some grounds to argue that GA's best teams are better than CA's best teams.

Miami Central 

Hoover 

Spartanburg 

BTW

No one from CA has played either of those teams. 

The only mutual opponent is Chandler who Played Valdosta 

And Valor Christian who played Greater Atlanta Christian(3A). 

And barely won that.... VC beat them 21-18.